The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2022, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Gibson Surprise

Been doing some guitar test rides maybe looking to scratch an itch.
The last 10 or 15 years I've been playing boutique instruments , SCGC, Lowden, Kopp, Collings , Huss and Dalton been having a lovely time. I pretty much had reached the point where I didn't look at mass produced instruments anymore.
I've been looking for an instrument for acoustic jams and trying out some possibles, on a whim I picked up a J 45 to try, hadn't played one for years.
I was really surprised , the exterior of the guitar was faultless, looking inside everything was smoothly finished, no rough poorly finished braces, no poorly fitted interior joints or dabs of glue where they shouldn't be.
The tone was 100% Gibson but seemingly more refined than the old punch in the face bark.
I looked at 3 of them and every one was finished to the same standard . I was pleasantly surprised and when you consider a J 45 is still a relatively inexpensive instrument, it was a lot of bang for the buck, not a cheap guitar but not expensive either.
While I was not paying attention it seems Gibsons upped their game, at least compared to what I used to see in their instruments, I would almost describe the build quality as boutique. A very pleasant surprise.
I have a feeling a J45's going to be headed into my place in the next day or two. If you're looking for a generic instrument don't make the mistake I've made and dismiss guitars out of hand because of preconceived notions, sometimes things change and they surprise you.
All power to Gibson, I don't know when the change came but it was a good one.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

It’ll happen. Pictures and a sound clip when it follows you home.
Old 05-12-2022, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Gibson has some ‘splainin’ to do since the bankruptcy, auto-tuners, product line restructuring, and management change. They have decided to throw down big on the double-sized Bozeman facility — doors open soon. Unless that was an irrational decision, I suspect they are getting something special ready to show the world. I’m sure they would prefer to have had the new factory up and running in 2020 to meet the pandemic demand, but oh well. I fully expect Gibson to show up shiny in the next year and beyond.

By the way, I love my October 2021 J-45.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 05-13-2022, 05:12 AM
Charter Member

Yep. For decades, I wouldn’t pull one off the rack at a music store unless it was vintage. Now, my Ren Ferguson era J 50 is the guitar I play the most. I probably walked past dozens of stellar Bozeman made instruments because of how 70s Gibsons had ruined my impressions of the brand. Weirdly, I never held the 70s against Martin, which was churning out clunkers at a similar rate.

In fairness to those who bash Gibson for inconsistency, Gibson did suffer from a major management issue that led to financial disaster.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-13-2022, 07:12 AM

I've never played a bad J-45 and have played several exceptional ones. The only reason I don't own one is my shoulder only permits me about 15-20 minutes of playing. Enjoy.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

I never considered Gibsons until the past couple years. Now I have one acoustic and one electric, and I'm a huge fan. The electric is a Les Paul. I used to be only a Fender electric guy, but that LP is the special.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:46 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

You need to go out and buy a lottery ticket! Folks often cycle through many guitars before finding a “good” J-45. But you found three…at the same shop! Lucky you! I had three J-45s. Stupidly sold the first one and have bought two trying to replace it. But both had quality control issues that eventually kicked them out of my tiny herd. These days I’m solidly on the boutique bandwagon…but if I stumble across a good J-45 it would likely follow me home.

Old 05-13-2022, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Recently I've seen more boutique or high end factory guys buying J 45 or D 18 type guitars. Don't know why exactly, except they liked them.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-13-2022, 03:28 PM

I was able to compare my 50's J-45 with a Slash J-45 before purchasing it (both were lightly used 2021 models). The fit and finish on each of them was top-notch. I would have been happy with either but I preferred the tone of the 50's.

During my quest I also played a couple of brand new J-45's in a local shop. They were also well finished and played great. Based on my limited experience while shopping it seems that Gibson has very good quality control these days.
Fender EJ Strat
Old 05-14-2022, 05:53 AM

I have to say, I've recently tried a 50' J45 and I was pleasantly surprised. I was toying with the idea of getting an Eastman but that Gibson did have some real soul in it. Neck is on the chunky side, but don't mind. And to some of the other people's comment, was also impeccably finished. It got me intrigued. To the point where I can see myself going back a couple of time to try it out again. Shame that particular shop didn't have a D18 to play with...
Old 05-14-2022, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I'm delighted to read the OP's experience.

I have been so disappointed with new/newish Gibsons that I have become very cynical about the brand and organisation.

Good for Gibson, finally getting up to date with 21st century quality expectations!
Old 05-14-2022, 09:44 AM

I have certainly loved me some Gibsons over the past half a century. And I have no problems with Bozeman-made guitars and do not mind somewhat less than precise specs or a bit of roughness around the edges. Gives them an individuality which is why it can take some time to stumble across the one you were meant to have.

These kinds of threads though always bring a bit of a grin to my face as I cannot help but wonder what the initial impression more than few would have to my 1942 J50. A neck which clocks in at a depth of something over 1.0" at the first fret and bracing which looks like it was whittled with a dull boy scout knife. To call it rough-hewn would be a kindness. On top of that one of the book-matched top pieces was accidentally flip flopped. When it comes to sound though there is not a flawlessly built guitar on the planet I would trade it for.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:11 AM

Anyone can comment on the tonal differences between the J45 and the J45 Southern Jumbo? Understand the neck profile is not the same but otherwise identical guitars (other than cosmetic differences)?
Old 05-16-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
I have certainly loved me some Gibsons over the past half a century. And I have no problems with Bozeman-made guitars and do not mind somewhat less than precise specs or a bit of roughness around the edges. Gives them an individuality which is why it can take some time to stumble across the one you were meant to have.

These kinds of threads though always bring a bit of a grin to my face as I cannot help but wonder what the initial impression more than few would have to my 1942 J50. A neck which clocks in at a depth of something over 1.0" at the first fret and bracing which looks like it was whittled with a dull boy scout knife. To call it rough-hewn would be a kindness. On top of that one of the book-matched top pieces was accidentally flip flopped. When it comes to sound though there is not a flawlessly built guitar on the planet I would trade it for.
That's awesome, I think we can get a little too side tracked with how the inside looks; we take out mirrors and cameras so we can see if it looks good enough to keep lol, it is pretty nuts when you think about it.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glob View Post
Anyone can comment on the tonal differences between the J45 and the J45 Southern Jumbo? Understand the neck profile is not the same but otherwise identical guitars (other than cosmetic differences)?
The differences on paper are only cosmetic. Any sonic differences I would just chalk up to variation between guitars same as you would see from a standard J-45 to another standard J-45.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion