The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2022, 03:11 AM

Default Drank some Ernie Ball Aluminium Bronze kool-aid

On the basis of a listicle from the experts at guitarskillsplanet.com (https://guitarskillsplanet.com/best-...ings-acoustic/ ) I bought some of these for my J-50. Initial reaction was shock and horror - nasty and metallic is how I would describe it. The jury's still out but I must admit that a week later, they're kinda nice and growing on me.

These were introduced about 8 years ago .. a brief moment in the conservative guitar world. Yes, I know there's been a few threads on the subject over the years but has anyone made the permanent switch?
Old 05-11-2022, 03:28 AM

Exactly how I reacted when I first put them on. Ended up liking the tone after a few days, but still felt that they lacked a bit of low end. Great strings for fingerstyle.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:41 AM

They tend to increase volume and brightness. That’s what my Journey OF660 needed and after trying 4 different strings on it the Aluminum Bronze are the winners and will be the string of choice for that instrument
Old 05-11-2022, 03:57 AM

I tried a set…IMO just a bit different from PBs - but close…seemed a little cleaner, a bit less “brashy”. They were Ok, but didnt leave them on long enough to check for longevity (before going to even further from PBs w/monels) but theyre supposed to last longer then PB. I would use them over similar PBs if thats the case.

I have a small scale harsher-sounding travel guitar they may be perfect on.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:16 AM

I tried a set an my Martin DX Johnny Cash. While they did seem to increase the volume, they lacked low end as Pdubs76 said.
Guild Jumbo Junior (2022)
Luna Henna Paradise(2018)
Martin DX Johnny Cash(2019)
Martin 000-18(2019)
Martin 000C Jr-10 (2022)
Zager ZAD800M (2021)
Fender Squier Stratocaster(2009)
Old 05-11-2022, 05:26 AM

Tried them on my SJ-200, felt OK and were sounding OK too but the intonation was off and drove me mad - switched back to fresh D'Addario NB's and intonation is fine.
Weird one, go figure.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-11-2022, 06:23 AM

At one time when I had several Ovations,(and I miss them) the EB Aluminum Bronze were an excellent fit, particularly for the one with the Cedar top.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:23 AM

That's how I felt when I tried them, except they didn't grow on me, probably won't use them again.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:41 AM

I like Ernie Ball Earthwood PB strings and I have a set of these AB strings waiting for an install but I'm still trying to figure out which guitar...
Maybe a Sitka Topped..Hog back and sides since the mid's are cut somewhat by the AB
If I had an all hog guitar I would diffently try these on that..
Old 05-11-2022, 09:00 AM

I've been using EB Aluminum Bronze strings for several years now. Believe me, I've pretty much tried all the PB and 80/20's, coated or not, around before settling on the AB. No other string I've tried provides the raw power, volume, articulation and harmonics on my 4 Martin's and Gibson as the AB do. Not Koolaid. More like a 12yr old bottle of single malt Scotch. YMMV.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gchord View Post
On the basis of a listicle from the experts at guitarskillsplanet.com (https://guitarskillsplanet.com/best-...ings-acoustic/ ) I bought some of these for my J-50. Initial reaction was shock and horror - nasty and metallic is how I would describe it. The jury's still out but I must admit that a week later, they're kinda nice and growing on me.

These were introduced about 8 years ago .. a brief moment in the conservative guitar world. Yes, I know there's been a few threads on the subject over the years but has anyone made the permanent switch?
I've got them permanently on one of my guitars, everyone says they have no low end but ironically on the guitar I use them its actually made the low end much stronger. That guitar always had a weak low end, maybe getting those bass strings into a frequency the guitar liked better brought up the volume? I dunno, but writing them off completely is a mistake... and yes, the tone did grow on me the more I played them.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:20 AM

I absolutely hated everything about them - they felt terrible and sounded brash and metallic. They reminded me of my early days using those rough and heavy Black Diamond strings. I do not understand why anyone would use these...there are so many superior options for the equivalent price. I have nothing against Ernie Ball, they are a good company, but these particular strings are losers and should be discontinued. Aluminum is for beer cans, not musical instruments. Of course, to each his own...some people like them!
Old 05-11-2022, 09:26 AM

I have a Sinker Redwood/EIR OM that sounds very dark. Seems I should give those ABs another try. (Had them on a Collings OM a couple of years ago, didn’t like them.)
Old 05-11-2022, 12:07 PM

Agree with Kesty. I bought the EB on the hype and just put them on my Martin D28 1931 Authentiv. First problem was they were corroded due to their cheap paper wrappers. Second problem was they did not sound good. Could have left on the D’addarios. Lesson learned.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsch4me View Post
I've been using EB Aluminum Bronze strings for several years now. Believe me, I've pretty much tried all the PB and 80/20's, coated or not, around before settling on the AB. No other string I've tried provides the raw power, volume, articulation and harmonics on my 4 Martin's and Gibson as the AB do. Not Koolaid. More like a 12yr old bottle of single malt Scotch. YMMV.
+1 - my favorite string on most guitars. Nothing comes close.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion