The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2022, 12:50 PM

(Sorry, wrong thread)
Old 05-14-2022, 12:51 PM

I much prefer Elixirs over anything D'Addario. Tried all of their strings and they just don't wow me. I also don't really notice any slick feeling on Elixirs vs. non coated.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:54 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I have used Elixirs in the past, lately I don't care for them. I probably just go through phases. Right now I like round core, but I have a couple of sets of Cleartones standing by.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-14-2022, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I find a difference between coated and treated strings. I tend not to like the feel or tone of coated strings but treated strings like the GHS Americana and Lowden PBs have great tone to my ears, have a very playable feel and last 5-9 months for me. My mahogany guitars sound best with the GHS and my rosewood guitars really shine with the Lowdens. Very subjective of course but so great that there are lots of options.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-14-2022, 09:34 PM

Feel a difference.. but hear one?

I've been playing since the 60s, and during that time I've tried may different guitars and many different strings.

My current, and long time favorite are Elixirs. Just feel right to my hands and ears. And yes they can last a long time. But I will add that they still keep a good sound during their life-span. At least to my ears.

Doesn't hurt that I fingerpick all my instruments, using my nails as picks. And I found that my favorite six-string set is the Elixir PB HD Light gauge, .013 to .053. Use 'em on most of my six stringers. Sound 'balance' is important to me, and the HD gauge delivers.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 05-15-2022, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
Ok... I have not changed the strings yet and I had the guitar out today..

I played it for quite a while.... and after all my (previous post) belly-aching... I had to take my foot out of my mouth long enough to declare it sounds pretty darn good...

Humidity? My ears? Rod Serling? El Nino?

LOL! Yes, any of the above things could be the culprit. I have experienced that sometimes with my guitars. One day “meh” next day “WOW”. The wonderful whacky world of acoustic guitars.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-15-2022, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

hi, I've just done a little exercise on prices for coated strings vs uncoated.

I've looked at just D'addario and Martin offerings from the largest direct string supplier in the UK -Strings Direct - not always the cheapest but excellent stock and service.

I used medium gauge P/B strings, prices per single sets, rounded to nearest £UK.

D'addario EJ-17 - £9
D'addario XS (replacing EXP) £18. (100% uplift).
D'addario XT ("treated") £16 (78% uplift)

Martin MA550 £8
Martin MA550-T -£15 (87% uplift)

Elixir Nano - £18.

Q1. Do you HAVE to use coated/treated strings due to acid body chemistry?

If so, then you have only the choice of coated - I understand this, I have two friends with this issue, and for such folk then coated strings are a blessing.

Q2. Do you live in an environment (high humidity) necessitating coated strings?

As above - coated strings are probably a blessing.

Q3. If you don't have the above issues, then why would you want coated strings?

To avoid changing strings?

Then do coated strings repay you considering the generally held opinion that the tone is even a little compromised?

Let's assume I am the average Joe (Andy actually, but never mind - who doesn't gig regularly but plays and keeps some guitars out on stands for teaching, noodling rehearsing, fun etc.

I used to change my strings every two months,but due to increased costs I changed to three months with no obvious detriment.

Note: I actually enjoy changing strings. !!!

So, on average, I changed strings on most guitars from 6 to 4 times annually. Let's say I paid £8 per set that is £32 a year per guitar. ( I have nine flat top 6 strings) equalling £288 per year.

I now prefer Martin MA550, but if I changed to Eiixir Nano XS, then how much longer would they last and at what saving?

My last effort at coated strings were Elixirs on my 000, and the G string started to corrode after a few weeks and so were changed in less than three months.

I have tried XT on my Santa Cruz, and were so dull sounding that I took them off in two months.

I am currently trying Martin MA540"T" on my smaller guitars and I don't perceive the dullness of D'addario or Elixir.

If I get three months from uncoated, I would need to get six months from a set of Elixir or D'add XS, or 5.6 months from a set of XTs.

I got four months from one set of XTs and considering changing a set put on in February.

Has anybody else done a cost/benefit analysis of coated or treated strings?

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 05-15-2022 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Has anybody else done a cost/benefit analysis of coated or treated strings?
Yeah, Andy, a simple one.

Fingerpicking with my nails as picks, using multiple guitars with Elixir Strings on all of 'em, including multiple backup sets and no acid hands, I just put 'em on and play until they scream at me to change 'em.

Cost analysis is simple. I get best mileage possible from my preferred strings and don't have to worry about cost. Best of all is that they seem to have a good sound throughout, at least until they don't anymore. Then it's next guitar up, until I have a workshop day.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 05-15-2022, 04:36 PM

there is definitely a difference in tone but interestingly ive bought a guitar that came with Nanoweb which i switched out for non-coated and didnt like it, and bought another guitar that came with 'treated' strings, tried Nanoweb and didnt like it.....the conclusion i have drawn is that when i buy a guitar it is always because of how it sounds, so changing the strings unsurprisingly doesnt seem to improve the tone for me.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:03 PM

I like the thought of longer string life.
Tried the D'Addario treated strings off and on for several years but never bonded with them. They didn't last any longer than their non treated strings. I even wondered it it was a scam and they were just regular strings. Perhaps that is why they no longer exist.

The new D'Addario offerings are confusing to me.
Not sure which ones are what I want.

My answer is Martin Lifespan strings.
I like everything about them.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:44 PM

elixer nanos for me
seagull mjm6
alvarez mfa66CE
recording king ro-310
Taylor 312ce IBANEZ AF95FM
Old 05-16-2022, 01:31 AM

I used to use Cleartone which according to their marketing shouldn’t feel any different to regular strings as it is a treatment rather than a coating. They got difficult to get hold of locally and I went over to Martin Lifespan (same treatment at the time) until they went over to their own process which didn’t work for me.

Looking forward to tying the XS, have several sets ready!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-16-2022, 03:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I like the thought of longer string life.
Tried the D'Addario treated strings off and on for several years but never bonded with them. They didn't last any longer than their non treated strings. I even wondered it it was a scam and they were just regular strings. Perhaps that is why they no longer exist.

The new D'Addario offerings are confusing to me.
Not sure which ones are what I want.

My answer is Martin Lifespan strings.
I like everything about them.
There is an ongoing "battle" between Martin and D'addario, with outliers like Elixir and others sniping from the woods.

Certainly Elixirs coated strings set D'add and CFM back on their heels and they had to introduce a similar offering.

Like soap powders and cars they feel the need to remarket, re-invent, and re-introduce bigger/better stuff all the time, whilst still making the trustworthy old uncoated products like the EJ16/17 and the Basic Martins (I forget what they called them).

Now we have "uncoated" ,"coated" and "treated".
for all this remarketing, neither brand explains them adequately on their websites.

Why ? because they want us to try them all.
We are their market research!.
If we buy them again, they are a hit, if not they'll change the packaging and the name.

Having said all that - I am rater taken by the Martin "treated" as opposed to the D'addario (XT) "Treated".
Old 05-16-2022, 04:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
... they feel the need to remarket, re-invent, and re-introduce bigger/better stuff all the time, whilst still making the trustworthy old uncoated products like the EJ16/17 and the Basic Martins (I forget what they called them).

Now we have "uncoated" ,"coated" and "treated".
for all this remarketing, neither brand explains them adequately on their websites.

Why ? because they want us to try them all.
We are their market research!.
If we buy them again, they are a hit, if not they'll change the packaging and the name.
Hear! Hear!

And Martin still markets their lather-rinse-repeat "Original" sets ("..perfect for daily use and all playing styles") ... but changed their (very successful - I thought) "SP" line to the dismay of some. I, for one.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
Hear! Hear!

And Martin still markets their lather-rinse-repeat "Original" sets ("..perfect for daily use and all playing styles") ... but changed their (very successful - I thought) "SP" line to the dismay of some. I, for one.

The Lifespan SPs were my string of choice for a long time until they went from the Cleartone process to their own; the set I tried lasted a week…
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion