The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-11-2022, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Using "other" sounds in recording, an update on my shipwreck song

I can't find the original thread now, but I posted a couple of months ago about adding non-musical sounds to a recording for effect. I was in the process of writing and recording a shipwreck song and decided to add some effects. This is a long song. I realize the whole 3-4 minutes is optimal thing, but since I am not planning to make any money and I doubt there will be "airplay", I'm really not too concerned. I wanted to tell a story, so I did!

As some background, I love Gordon Lightfoot and always thought it would be fun to write something along the lines of the Edmond Fitzgerald. I came across a story about the Belle Hill, which wrecked off the coast of Ireland in 1875. I thought it may be a nice story to write out in musical form. When the ship wrecked, two brothers, James and John Carton launched their little fishing boat to try and save people. Of the 16 crew, only one survived. The dead were buried on the beach, and today, people visit the graves and put a rock on the graves as a tribute and for good luck. I wanted to make this kind of a folk song but with a bit of seas shanty/chantey feel.

I appreciate any thoughts on the song and on the use of "other" sounds.

This has now been modified slightly from the original post.

https://mcmakinmusic.com/track/29522...the-belle-hill

Todd

Last edited by BoneDigger; 01-14-2022 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Most Excellent!
I am a big fan of adding organic sounds to the mix. They add the ambience to the musical pictures you are creating. What you added worked very well. Floating melody with haunting overtones.
My two cents:
I do think the recording of the voice could have been done a bit better. Seemed to be a high end honk that was on the verge of distortion. The Transients of the voice also poked out a little too much. If you did not already add some compression to the voice...Add some. If you already did add compression, some more could possibly benefit.
And finally, would like to see some soft percussion added. I found myself wanting to hear some rhythm to the tempo you created.
Keep up the good work! Accomplishing your goals is what it is all about.
Now If I can only do the same...
Old 01-11-2022, 02:13 PM

I dont do it much myself, and as a listener I can pretty much take it or leave it... however, I have always loved the effect that laughter can have on a track. I've never tried it because I'm sure I'd just botch it, but done right it can sure take the intensity level WAY up.

Edit: Just tried to find an example, and realised that it seems to be done in Metal more than anything else... does anyone else find this pretty ironic?
Old 01-11-2022, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Most Excellent!
I am a big fan of adding organic sounds to the mix. They add the ambience to the musical pictures you are creating. What you added worked very well. Floating melody with haunting overtones.
My two cents:
I do think the recording of the voice could have been done a bit better. Seemed to be a high end honk that was on the verge of distortion. The Transients of the voice also poked out a little too much. If you did not already add some compression to the voice...Add some. If you already did add compression, some more could possibly benefit.
And finally, would like to see some soft percussion added. I found myself wanting to hear some rhythm to the tempo you created.
Keep up the good work! Accomplishing your goals is what it is all about.
Now If I can only do the same...
Thanks for the comments! I will look into the compression on the vocals. There is compression but perhaps it needs to be bumped a bit. Also, I hadn't noticed any transients, but I'll listen more closely and see if I can tame it a bit.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:15 PM

Here's your other thread: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=619986
Old 01-11-2022, 09:00 PM

Slightly different, but I "lifted" a bit of common birdsong and made a musical composition out of it. When I recorded the song, I took a slightly* modified recording of that birdsong and used it as an intro to my song.

* I found one section of the birdsong that just happened to be exactly in the key I wrote the song, and right about in time! The bird was just a bit sharp on the final note, unfortunately, so I had to pitch correct it. You have to do that for even the best singers occasionally.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Todd that is very cool and Imo on the verge of great. However I would agree tend to agree with K&G the vocal being a bit too diffuse (which may have been what you were going for ) ... But I think the effects in the rest of song already produce a sufficient ambient mood, and are not needed so much on the vocal

I would start with two things
#1 I would back off the reverb in general
#2 I would do what is called the Abby Road Reverb EQ Trick. But to do that you have to set up the vocal reverb in parallel
I don't know your workflow and if you already do this But I would put the reverb for the vocal on it's own Aux track and send the vocal too it with an EQ before the reverb an and do the high pass and low pass EQ so they only effect the reverb.
The reason for this is the greatest potential for a buildup diffused lack of clarity or mud as it is often called is from 500 Hz down and the Abby Road Reverb trick addresses this head on So you you are doing any reverb on the acoustic guitar you might want to send it to same EQ,ed reverb.

So back to the OP
I posted this in your other thread but once again the sound effect starts at 0:40
BTW there is both reverb and slight tape delay on this vocal

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-12-2022, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Thank you to everyone! I especially want to send a big thanks to K&G and to Kev for the excellent input. I can easily acknowledge that the vocals are a weak point. I am going to go back a revisit this over the next few days and will be looking at Kev's linked videos.

Todd
Old 01-13-2022, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Hi Tod, Let me say, I enjoyed listening to your song. Very easy to listen to and the lyrics paint a very vivid picture. Great job!!
Old 01-14-2022, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Hey guys! I have modified this but have not yet used the method that Kev recommended. Can I get thoughts on this as it stands now?

https://mcmakinmusic.com/track/29522...the-belle-hill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD