The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-15-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelman View Post
"One of the greatest guitar players on the planet”, Chet Atkins on Tommy Emmanuel
"Pat Donohue is one of the greatest fingerpickers in the world today", Chet on Pat Donohue
"He plays my tunes better than I ever did, with more flair and command, and has added elements to the arrangements that are beyond anything I ever did. ", Chet on Richard Smith
"Only once in lifetime does something come down the river like that", Chet on Jerry Reed
"He is one of the true geniuses of the guitar", Chet on Lenny Breau
"Doyle is one of the finest fingerpicking guitarists around. I sincerely admire him as a person and as a musician.", Chet on Doyle Dykes
The Tommy quote is overdone. I think it's safe to say that there were a LOT of guitarists Chet admired.
Chet only honored two people by calling them Certified Guitar Pickers. John Knowles was one and Tommy Emmanuel the other. Make of it what you will but Chet appears to have had a special regard for Tommy and his talent.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:08 PM

Default IMHO I take exception and what is "greatness"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbanjo View Post
Man I cant stand tommy emmanuel, his music is repetitive and he tries to do chet's style and just blows it (IMHO). Notice how chet calls him "one of the greatest", classic humble Chet Atkins, obviosuly chet is much much better than tommy will ever hope to be.

(Can you tell i feel strongly about this? )
I don't agree with the statement. While there are some chord progressions he reuses (like other artists do) to reintroduce or end the melody, if anything I would say he goes over the top sometimes with playing expression but that's a character of his style. In my opinion one can hear the Chet Atkins enfluence in TE's playing but he definately has his own style. Admittedly, I am "johnny come lately" to the area of instrumental soloists and in my humble opinion Tommy Emmanuel is one of only a few guitarist/performers that really impressed me enough to actively seek that influence in my playing. The others would be Chet Atkins, Merle Travis, Doc Watson, Eric Clapton, and Eltjo Haselhoff(picker 2). But that's just my opinion.

And I really don't think anyone but Chet knew what he meant when he called Tommy "one of the greatest" but I think Chet meant what he said, and coming from Chet Atkins that had to mean something.

As far as the term "greatest", greatness goes beyond playing. Greatness enfluences progress. My guitarist before including Chet and Merle, have enfluence others to more forward and I feel Tommy Emmanuel is continuing that progress. If that makes him great or he has a greater impact than players of his generation, then that will the measure of his greatness IMHO.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:02 PM

More randomness from me, jerry Reed and Chet do some really good duets. Like the record Jerry and Me, Stump Water is amazing.... Too bad it isnt on youtube, or I'd post it...
Old 05-15-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbanjo View Post
More randomness from me, jerry Reed and Chet do some really good duets. Like the record Jerry and Me, Stump Water is amazing.... Too bad it isnt on youtube, or I'd post it...

It's "Me and Jerry" . . and there was another album called (aptly) "Me and Chet". Fortunately, they've got the pair out now as a CD (both albums on one CD). I found mine at Ernest Tubb's in Ft. Worth. I'm sure they still have it online.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:30 PM

Using superlatives in music is no different than using them in art. They make no sense. Was Van Gogh "better" than Picasso? Is there any way to measure talent? You can like who you like and that's about all there is to it.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:34 PM

Tommy is the greatest all around guitarist I've ever seen. He can play the most difficult riff and make it look effortless, but perhaps more importantly he can play the simplest melody so beautifully it can bring tears to your eyes. He's endlessly inventive,soulful and easily the most entertaining live performer of any the "virtuoso" guitarists. He's also an incredible composer with a very impressive catalogue of fantastic original tunes with highly memorable melodies.

I've seen Tommy in concert six times and he always blows me away. I highly recommend every guitarist go see him. If you are new to Tommy I'd recommend his "Only" CD. A classic. For a live performance DVD check out "Live at Sheldon Hall". And finally Tommy has an amazing instructional DVD/VHS called "Up Close".

Taylor GS Maple/Spruce
Taylor GS Mahogany/Cedar
Taylor NS44ce
Yamaha APX-5
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Tom Anderson Custom Strats (2)

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench. A long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs.
There is also a negative side.
-- Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-15-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
I prefer Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed.

me too.

Rick
Old 05-15-2007, 09:23 PM

With a thread titled the world's greatest, it lends itself to scrutiny. Problem is, music is subjective to personal tatses. I know that all so well from many guitar contests.

Tommy is a gifted player, a gifted entertainer, and as I've had the occasion to meet him, he is a pretty cool fella as well. That being said, I've walked away from his shows at festivals numerous times. It just isn't my cup of tea. That doesn't mean to say that I don't think he can play. But I have to say that I heard so much hype that when I finally saw his performance, it was a disappointment to me. Probably didn't help matters that it was on the same bill as Phil Keaggy, who is just a lot more musical to me.

Now, if we're discussing 'greatness' in the context of influence, not just in admiration, I think Tommy's legacy will include that, but I don't think it's to that level yet.

For my money, Django would have to be the greatest, ever. And that includes his influence on most every 'great' player mentioned so far. And just think if he'd had ALL of his fingers.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:10 PM

One of the great difficulties of being a solo acoustic guitar player is the very large number of people out there who consider music to be "repetitive" if they hear two songs in a row with no words in them.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:34 PM

I too find the statement that TE;s music lacks emotion to be mind-boggling - if anything, his songs are all about feeling and emotion.

Like another person who posted, although I am slack jawed at his skill at the technically pyrotechnical songs, I actually prefer his more melodic and slower pieces like "Those who wait" and "Morning Aire" - such beautiful melodies that stir the soul and impart a lift to anyone who listens.

In music, it is not possible to call someone "the Greatest", IMHO because it is so subjective. In terms of technical skill, TE in anyone's book has got to be world class, able to at least match any acoutic guitarist in the world today. In terms of melodically beautiful song composing, he has to rank pretty high too. In terms of entertainment, most everyone agrees he is a terrific entertainer and holds the stage superbly. The one concert I attended, even non-guitarists who initially did not expect to be enthralled by it, I oculd hear them praising him and really enjoying themselves. I think most of us can agree that in any grouping of the world's greatest guitarists, TE would rate a place on that list in almost any objective person's estimation.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:22 AM

Cbango--

Thanks for the youtube link with James Burton, Chet Atkins and Albert Lee. It's been a long time since I've seen Albert Lee, one of my all time favorites. I saw him as the guitarist for Emmylou Harris in a small theatre in Seattle many years ago. One of the greatest performances I've ever seen.

-Kev
Old 05-16-2007, 12:26 AM
Luthier

I'm with Pistolero on this one. Django was great, and jazz is not even my cup of tea.

Woody Boyd
Luthier
"Home of the banjo eating HOG"
Old 05-16-2007, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Chet only honored two people by calling them Certified Guitar Pickers. John Knowles was one and Tommy Emmanuel the other. Make of it what you will but Chet appears to have had a special regard for Tommy and his talent.
Herb, there are four CGPs: John Knowles, Jerry Reed, Steve Wariner and Tommy Emmanuel.

The title is all well and good but what does it really mean? That Lenny Breau was somehow less regarded by Chet?
Old 05-16-2007, 05:47 AM

[QUOTE=Pistolero;1182038]With a thread titled the world's greatest, it lends itself to scrutiny. Problem is, music is subjective to personal tastes.

Of course that is correct...to title anyone "the greatest" anything is completely subjective and opinionated.

for instance ,, im not as skilled a flatpicker as Alan Shadd, but im a much
better player than Eric Clapton...
Just because nobody agrees with me, at least on the Clapton part
makes no difference to me..
I like fiddle tunes and dislike rock...hmm go figure...

Rick
Old 05-16-2007, 05:54 AM

Default Chet honored Tommy for a reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Hi Herb Hunter

Thanks for this ... I absolutely agree with you. Chet also coached and work closely with Tommy, took him under his wing. He recognised him a a young prodigy. Tommy is doing similar work with young talented artists.

For those of you have to see Tommy live - its jaw dropping. (Note I am not a promoter or in any way connected to Tommy, I'm someone who gave an independent interview/review).

madammusic.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell