The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2022, 06:32 AM

Hey Rosewood,
I lost fifteen years of my playing life due to a bone chip pressing against my spinal cord. A few months is a cake walk. Don't be blue, take advantage of this time to learn about your instrument. Read and learn everything about guitars as you can. Whatever you learn will transfer to your playing when your physical ability returns. No worries.
frank d.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:54 AM

So sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope the surgery goes well and you recover quickly. I lost an argument with a ladder and broke my left wrist in three places a handful of years back. I couldn't play for 6 months and it does seem like an eternity when you're in the middle of it - put the time goes by and you'll be back sooner than you think. Hang in there.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-16-2022, 06:55 AM

I feel your pain, literally.I have been playing for over 50 years. In 2013 I was in a motorcycle accident that mangled my left hand/arm.After 3 surgeries and 9 yrs I'm still struggling to re-learn.I have come to a point where I know I'll never get it back but I keep at it.The worst part is I am surrounded by musicians in my life, both my sons are serious players and pretty much all my friends are players, but I have to stand in the wings and watch.I still "play" everyday, but its very painful and I can only hack away for very limited time.Keep at it and dont give up, hopefully you will make a full recovery sooner than my experience has been.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:54 AM

Life happens, as people around us never fail to remind us (and now I'm one of them!). Take a break, read (not necessarily about music), do something else. It's not a competition, and music and guitar playing will always be there when you're ready and/or able to take them up again.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Health issues can really mess up a person's ability to play. I have been having some of that, too, but somehow I keep finding a way. I hope you can get your health issues resolved so you can be able to play again.

Take care...

- Glenn
Old 05-16-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood99 View Post
Already forgetting some of my chords, especially with finger style.
Wishing you all the best for a recovery to good health.

No need to worry about forgetting the chords--your fingers will remember for you.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear this! I can’t imagine not being able to play. Here’s to a quick recovery and no major speed bumps on your return to playing. It’s amazing what your mind and muscle memory can recall!
Old 05-16-2022, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes1971 View Post
I feel your pain, literally.I have been playing for over 50 years. In 2013 I was in a motorcycle accident that mangled my left hand/arm.After 3 surgeries and 9 yrs I'm still struggling to re-learn.I have come to a point where I know I'll never get it back but I keep at it.The worst part is I am surrounded by musicians in my life, both my sons are serious players and pretty much all my friends are players, but I have to stand in the wings and watch.I still "play" everyday, but its very painful and I can only hack away for very limited time.Keep at it and dont give up, hopefully you will make a full recovery sooner than my experience has been.
This is one of my biggest fears. I keep thinking of learning another instrument that can be played without both hands. Harmonica, maybe trumpet?
Old 05-16-2022, 12:25 PM

I also have not been playing after loosing my left eye to an accident. I have lost all of my calluses, but I think things will be fine eventually for both of us. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2022, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

I lost two years once due to fingers going numb. Lucky for me. I could still play bass. I bought a pedal steel guitar and got humbled.

When I had carpal tunnel surgery, I was learning mandolin, and spent the next month doing nothing but tremolo exercises.

Now would be a good time to do some ear training and tackle a music theory class.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-16-2022, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Due to a recent health issue I think I’ve played a total of 20 minutes in the last three months. And it’s likely I’m going to have surgery that will put me out for at least another month. Really bums me out since I’ve been playing just about every day for the last 10 years. Already forgetting some of my chords, especially with finger style.
Hi rosewood, as you see lots of us have has health issues interfere with out passion for playing music.

My story starts with Lymphatic sarcoidosis back in the early '80s.
I had just moved for my new job (which I hated, looking for a house and caring for my father who was running his little business with Alzheimers. I was exhausted, and one day I woke up and literally could not move. after a while I tried to move some joints which were excruciating.and found myself in hospital for two/three weeks while they tried to work out what it was. A consultant said that the pain I feel was equivalent to having broken joints ... all of them.

There was no real treatment apart anti-inflammatory which caused other problems because I was being overdosed.
That ended my music making for ten years, but as I strove to move I took up photography which Forced me to get out of the house and wander the local woods alone so when it got too bad, I could "let it all out" alone.

It faded slowly and ten years after I saw a pretty guitar in a nearby shop.

When they told me I had tongue and throat cancer in 2017, Mando Bob said "keep a guitar out on a stand so you can play when you feel able". Once the treatment started, I had no strength to even pick it up, but I'd stare at it and think "one day!". and that day came around about six/eight months later, byt the treatment had taken my voice. Voice therapy was no help so I decided I'd just !force" it (well if Tom Waites can sing like that etc.) The following year, I made some videos with a young lady taking the lead vocals for me.

Slowly some sort of voice came back and I did some bits and pieces, mainly at my club.

I finally got some solo gigs booked for May 2020. Hmm, they didn't happen!

Then in 2021 my trigger fingers hampered my playing! but I persisted :

BUT !!!!!

We prevail! and so will you!

You got a lot of folks broken beaten but unbowed rooting for you!
Old 05-16-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Due to a recent health issue I think I’ve played a total of 20 minutes in the last three months. And it’s likely I’m going to have surgery that will put me out for at least another month. Really bums me out since I’ve been playing just about every day for the last 10 years. Already forgetting some of my chords, especially with finger style.
Oh man, I feel for you. I've been out about 2 weeks and I hate that I can't play. Hope you can heal quickly.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:25 PM

I jammed a finger on my left hand which doesn't sound that bad. However I haven't been able to chord in six months. I'm just now getting able to play a little bit.

I know you are depressed but you will get better and one day you will be playing again.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

BUT !!!!!
Great clips!
Old 05-16-2022, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Rosewood99, I'm sorry that you're going through this. You're not alone. I hope you recover fully and quickly and that you get back to playing again soon. In the meantime, look for positive ways to remain in touch with music and guitars (or other positive things to occupy your mind).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion