The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-20-2022, 09:50 AM

Default NGD 2.0: Blackbird El Capitan

It's been quite a journey, but my El cap is finally here!

I bought this used (evidently it was previously owned by the guitar player from Journey) 3 years ago and immediately realized there was a structural issue. I should have just returned it, but I loved the neck and the sound, so I kept it and sent it back to Blackbird for repairs.

Even though they didn't have to honor the warranty as I bought it used, Joe is a mensch and said they would fix it. I got it back after about 6 months.... And it still had issues so back it went (early 2020).

Then this week I got the be tracking notice and opened up my old car to find....a brand new El cap!

Man this thing sounds great. Much much better note separation and balance then the emeralds I have been using daily for the last few years (x30/x7)... In particular it makes the x30 sounds somewhat muddy in comparison (though I want to try a different set of strings on it).

I love the sound of carbon fiber.... But this isn't that. It sounds woody, and in some ways reminds me of the balance and texture of a Froggy Bottom...

Ie, it sounds like wood but plays like carbon (ie, very even up and down the neck; takes a capo well; consistent and reliable tone, etc....)

Old 02-20-2022, 10:49 AM

Beautiful. Such an interesting concept Joe has going there. Wish I could get my hands on one because in the videos they sound great!
Old 02-20-2022, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

I bought one used from a shop a couple of years ago, and really liked the guitar. But I also discovered an issue (lifting bridge) so I decided to send it back.

I thought about buying a new one, but the price was already very high at that time. I just checked after I read your post and an El Cap with a pickup and a simple gloss finish now costs close to 6000$
Old 02-20-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
I bought one used from a shop a couple of years ago, and really liked the guitar. But I also discovered an issue (lifting bridge) so I decided to send it back.

I thought about buying a new one, but the price was already very high at that time. I just checked after I read your post and an El Cap with a pickup and a simple gloss finish now costs close to 6000$
Mine is unfinished.

And yeah--I'm blown away by the price and kinda tempted to sell because of it.... But probably won't. Great guitar.
Old 02-20-2022, 01:29 PM

Wow, it looks absolutely gorgeous ! Especially love the picture with your beautiful dog.
Old 02-20-2022, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! I picked mine up used two years ago and am very happy with it.

They are a great instrument particularly for something that has strong environmental tolerance.

Mine came with a very beat up BlackBird hard case and I recently had the opportunity to pick up a Hiscox from Andertons at a good price. Their jumbo case fits the El Capitan beautifully.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber