The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-14-2021, 05:57 PM

Vox mini5. We have one, I like it. The Vox is at a price point that fit the need at the time and still gets used from time to time. Has multiple features, is portable.
Old 12-15-2021, 12:43 AM

A preamp pedal that emulates an amp that you like - with speaker emulation. Plug that into some computer speakers or studio monitors.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 12-15-2021, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
all good ideas so far

have you thought about the Spark amp?

Does a lot and seems like a good practice companion as well.

At one time I had a spark and a Katana 50 MKII. I still have the Spark. The Spark is a much better practice tool with its YouTube integration, jam tracks, and everything else in between. There’s truly nothing like it in the market. Oh yeah, and it’s surprisingly loud, and you can dial some great tones, or just download a patch off the cloud. It is also a killer Bluetooth speaker as well. It’s on sale right now for $249 and come with a gig bag.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDavis View Post
I had the Yamaha modeling unit in mind...but I checked Reverb for the THR10 and THR10II...and the market has skyrocketed on them...so they're out of my range, or at least my chosen range right now.

I'm looking at a Fender Champion 20 for half of what a THR10 is bringing right now. We'll see how it goes. If I get more serious about the electric, I can step up...
I was on your search for many years and tried most of what people have mentioned (although in some cases earlier models). Once I got the THR10II my search was over. I would gladly pay double for it than buy the numerous other ones that, at least for me, didn't do the job. Just my 2 cents!
--------
Past: Bourgeois JOMC; Collings OM2T & CJ; Larrivee LV-05; Lowden O-50c, F-50c & F-35c; Martin CS 00c; RainSong V-WX1000; Taylor 814ce, 512e & T5
Old 12-15-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
At one time I had a spark and a Katana 50 MKII. I still have the Spark. The Spark is a much better practice tool with its YouTube integration, jam tracks, and everything else in between. There’s truly nothing like it in the market. Oh yeah, and it’s surprisingly loud, and you can dial some great tones, or just download a patch off the cloud. It is also a killer Bluetooth speaker as well. It’s on sale right now for $249 and come with a gig bag.
thanks for the post on that.

they do look unique. if I was on the hunt, this may be my first choice.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 12-15-2021, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Although I do really like my Katana mkii head, if I was in the market for something now I would also seriously look at the Spark and the Yamaha amps. They all have similar qualities and all are likely good.
I have heard one person on this forum that didn’t like the Spark, but others do. As a beginner, it’s features have a lot of appeal. For someone less of a beginner, maybe one of the others has more value.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
Although I do really like my Katana mkii head, if I was in the market for something now I would also seriously look at the Spark and the Yamaha amps. They all have similar qualities and all are likely good.
I have heard one person on this forum that didn’t like the Spark, but others do. As a beginner, it’s features have a lot of appeal. For someone less of a beginner, maybe one of the others has more value.
Probably me about the Spark. I pre-ordered mine when they first came out, was convinced by a friend to buy one. It looked so promising but mine is very glitchy. The one my friend got, according to him, is great. Maybe I just got a lemon, but if I could go back in time I would have passed.

I have a very old (original version) Line 6 POD and a Yamaha THR10 that work extremely well and if I want to play electric through headphones those are the ones I go to now.

I've stopped playing electric, but if I were still playing I think the Boss Katana would be what I would go with today. If I were seriously playing electric, I would just get a Mesa Triple Crown and be done with it .
Old 12-15-2021, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardsrback View Post
I was on your search for many years and tried most of what people have mentioned (although in some cases earlier models). Once I got the THR10II my search was over. I would gladly pay double for it than buy the numerous other ones that, at least for me, didn't do the job. Just my 2 cents!
I'll definitely consider it. If the Fender doesn't cut it...I'll bite the bullet.
Old 12-15-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
thanks for the post on that.

they do look unique. if I was on the hunt, this may be my first choice.

I think they’re worth it, but you must be clear that it’s strictly a practice amp. It won’t be loud enough to play over a hard hitting drummer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
That’s a big misconception about the Spark. Any guitar player of any skill level can benefit from the Spark’s features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guitar View Post
Probably me about the Spark. I pre-ordered mine when they first came out, was convinced by a friend to buy one. It looked so promising but mine is very glitchy. The one my friend got, according to him, is great. Maybe I just got a lemon, but if I could go back in time I would have passed.

I have a very old (original version) Line 6 POD and a Yamaha THR10 that work extremely well and if I want to play electric through headphones those are the ones I go to now.

I've stopped playing electric, but if I were still playing I think the Boss Katana would be what I would go with today. If I were seriously playing electric, I would just get a Mesa Triple Crown and be done with it .

Any early adopter is absolutely justified to hate the thing. The rollout delays alone was terrible. Positive Grid basically crowd-funded the inventory buildup, and made bogus promises. They almost went under because of this with all the angry early adopters that waited months after paying in advance.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Any early adopter is absolutely justified to hate the thing. The rollout delays alone was terrible. Positive Grid basically crowd-funded the inventory buildup, and made bogus promises. They almost went under because of this with all the angry early adopters that waited months after paying in advance.
That was me, I waited for something like 8 months before I finally received it with constant weekly updates promising it would arrive soon. I was patient though because I didn't really need it. My problem is that mine has glitches. The controls don't work most of the time. Switching between the "gain" settings frequently does nothing at all. Heck, sometimes it won't even provide any output. Little electrical gremlins I guess.

I'm not bitter about it, but I don't use it.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:32 PM

I got a Pig nose 20. battery powered, portable, sounds ok. Only pedal I have is a Cubebaby and it is ok too.

I am looking at a spark but the Pig nose is good for now. The battery is good for a long time, week or so.
Old 12-18-2021, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

I would add the Fender micro mustang and headphones, if it hasnt been mentioned yet. Even if you add a small amp or even just powered speaker, it makes a nice little modeler of some iconic amps. And does a surprisingly good job.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 12-19-2021, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I would add the Fender micro mustang and headphones, if it hasnt been mentioned yet. Even if you add a small amp or even just powered speaker, it makes a nice little modeler of some iconic amps. And does a surprisingly good job.
The Fender Mustang Micro was Reverb's #1 best selling amp of 2021 (even though it's a headphone amp. I've never played it before but to be a #1 best seller for Reverb it must do something right.
Old 12-19-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
The Fender Mustang Micro was Reverb's #1 best selling amp of 2021 (even though it's a headphone amp. I've never played it before but to be a #1 best seller for Reverb it must do something right.
I have one. They are remarkable. So much so that I've used it to record with direct from the headphone out into a recording interface.

I also have a Fender Twin, which is "airier" and more open when recorded (but also needs a more extensive setup: proper mic placement, preamp settings, and then once you add in gain/overdrive either from the amp or effects pedals it just requires more setup).

The Micro is much easier to just plug in and record and can get you close to the real thing.

What stands out with the modeled amps is that they DO respond differently to different guitars and different pickup settings - so a strat, tele, LP, hollowbody, etc will all react differently to the same modeled amp (i.e. the Fender Deluxe setting) that mimics how the real amps respond to different guitars.

The one downside of the Micro with the sound is that it's more compressed than the real thing - i.e. doesn't respond as dynamically to your touch/picking. It's far from being flat or dead, but certainly not as 'jumpy' or alive as the real thing.

But for recording basic stuff and for silent/quiet practice, it's hard to beat.
Old 12-19-2021, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Apparently, they taste good to dogs, as well. Im on number two. I love it for practice with headphones, and sometimes plugged into a bose speaker or mackie monitors. It is a YUGE improvement over the cheap headphone amp modelers from 10 years ago.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars