The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-14-2021, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Default "Apartment" amp

Like I said in my new Telecaster thread...I'm just starting to putz around with an electric, and I need a inexpensive practice amp that sounds good, but won't wake up the neighbors (I'm in an apartment).

Any suggestions? I was checking out a used Fender Champion 40 on Craigslist. How about that or something similar?
Old 12-14-2021, 02:12 PM

Champion 40 is a great choice. Just bought one. $230 new.

Used should be around 30% less.

Martin OOO-10E
Bristol BB-16

Over a dozen ukuleles.

My YouTube channel- https://youtube.com/c/VicSchmeltz
Old 12-14-2021, 02:20 PM

Good solid state/modelling amp that will take headphones is my suggestion.

Roland Cube, Fender Mustang, etc.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Apartment? A Line 6 POD with a good set of headphones.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:24 PM

I got my daughter the Champion 20 a couple years ago but willingly admit to sneaking it out of her room from time to time because it's actually a lovely little amp.

It's plenty loud even at low numbers on the volume and gain knobs — I'd go for that one over the 40 at nearly half the cost if you're after inexpensive and relatively quiet home use.

Another option worth looking at if you want to have access to more in-depth modeling (which also comes with the software/app angle) is the Mustang LT25.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:36 PM

Yamaha THR. Lots of features and a really great sound, more like a good quality bluetooth speaker sound than a small amp, which can be "boxy." The THR really fills a room, but at a reasonable volume.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-14-2021, 03:09 PM

all good ideas so far

have you thought about the Spark amp?

Does a lot and seems like a good practice companion as well.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 12-14-2021, 03:50 PM

Another vote for the fender champ 20 here (I'm also in an apartment). The only thing I did not like is that I wasn't able to get good crunch tones at reasonable volumes but a Boss DS1 solved that.
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 12-14-2021, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Katana mkii head.

Lots of modeling, customizable, accepts loopers and other pedals, headphone out, 0.5, 50 and 100 watt settings, 5” pretty good built in speaker and accepts external speakers for those times.

The 5” speaker is fine for the living room, I could drive the family out of the room with it.
Old 12-14-2021, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
all good ideas so far

have you thought about the Spark amp?

Does a lot and seems like a good practice companion as well.
While a lot of people have provided positive feedback, mine basically ended up being a dud.
Old 12-14-2021, 04:58 PM

My recommendation sort of orthogonal to most of what's been posted before - but I have a little Supro Blues King 8 (one watt) tube amp (the current model is the Delta King). I find that my "T" (Ron Kirn "Tele") sounds amazing through it. The amp is a bit dark, which - when you couple it with a bright guitar like a tele - really gives me amazing tones. It isn't versatile, but it's very good at that one trick. Don't like my strats or HB-equipped guitars through it as much, but it also works wonders on anything with P90s (I have two of those).
Old 12-14-2021, 05:10 PM

A lot of people swear by the Yamaha THR series. They're designed to be apartment amps. The new ones are very flexible and sound really good, creating a very fully, rich sound that fills a room without being overly loud.

Nothing against a great little <5 watt tube amp. If you want to crank it and play with a bunch of other musicians, that's probably a better choice. But the THR is going to be more flexible and really sings even at "don't wake up the girlfriend sleeping in the next room" volumes.
Old 12-14-2021, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
A lot of people swear by the Yamaha THR series. They're designed to be apartment amps. The new ones are very flexible and sound really good, creating a very fully, rich sound that fills a room without being overly loud.

Nothing against a great little <5 watt tube amp. If you want to crank it and play with a bunch of other musicians, that's probably a better choice. But the THR is going to be more flexible and really sings even at "don't wake up the girlfriend sleeping in the next room" volumes.
I had the Yamaha modeling unit in mind...but I checked Reverb for the THR10 and THR10II...and the market has skyrocketed on them...so they're out of my range, or at least my chosen range right now.

I'm looking at a Fender Champion 20 for half of what a THR10 is bringing right now. We'll see how it goes. If I get more serious about the electric, I can step up...
Old 12-14-2021, 05:32 PM

A used Roland Cube might be good for you too!
I have a Cube 40x that works well at low volume.
Old 12-14-2021, 05:38 PM

Default "Apartment" amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
My recommendation sort of orthogonal to most of what's been posted before - but I have a little Supro Blues King 8 (one watt) tube amp (the current model is the Delta King). I find that my "T" (Ron Kirn "Tele") sounds amazing through it. The amp is a bit dark, which - when you couple it with a bright guitar like a tele - really gives me amazing tones...Don't like my Strats or HB-equipped guitars through it as much, but it also works wonders on anything with P-90s...
One of these: everything the above post says about the mini-Supro, with additional clean headroom if you need/want it (5W - scalable to 1W/0.1W), headphone out (for when you want to practice at 3 AM without PO'ing your neighbors/S.O./cat ), WYSIWYG controls (including a really good built-in digi-verb - this one'll surf if you so choose ), enough grunt for coffeehouse gigs/serious jamming or band practice (with a tasteful drummer)/driving an extension cab up to a 4x12", built like a tank - and if you shop around it'll save you about $100 over the Delta King 8 (and about $300 over the comparably-powered DK10). I love mine - hard to beat for the money, and you're serious about the electric game you'll need a low-powered tube amp like this in your arsenal sooner or later:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars