The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default Merry Christmas to all! I snuck one more doozy deal in for 2007 A Solomon Archtop!

I loved the look and sound of my Collings 000 12 fret all Mahogany Sunburst. I sold a pile of toys to buy her. Then my learning curve kicked in. The neck was too wide for me. I kept her in the case and without thinking about it I played my Yamaha FG300 and Gibson AJ. Why was I not playing the Collings I asked myself. So one day I broke out a tape measurer. Man there is a valley of difference between 1 3/4 and 1 13/16.
So here I was with all this dough tide up in a guitar that was a stunner but not my favorite player. My hands are just too small.
I found a Collings Sunburst Cutaway 1.75 neck, that I still have the hots for. I would have taken a $1200 + beating trading in my fine 000. Hey the dealer has to eat but that was too much loss for a deal I only made in October.
So I went to the AGF Classifieds hoping to find someone in the same boat or bored with a like valued guitar. I had some great offers and some wonderful chats on the phone then off in the distance I could hear sleigh bells......Santa AGF replied to my post! HOLY COW what an instrument! We traded even. We both did pricey over night shipping to protect our guitars from weather extremes of his Texas and my SW Pennsylvania. I am so glad we made the trade.
To be honest, while dropping 4K on a guitar I probably would not have bought the Solomon outright. She's beautiful but highly unique. While gassing I would have drove by. All I can say is wow and thank you Santa. You were off the scales right that this is the one!
The photo session is scheduled but I couldn't wait to show her off! Here are some of his photo's.

This is a Erich Solomon Custom Archtop. Insane Koa! She doesn't sound like an Archtop. Well, she sounds like whatever she wants. String pressure and attack can throw drama in the air I have never heard. Just wow. I haven't plugged in yet but I have been told she is state of the art. If I get my Zoom H2 for Christmas I will attempt to get a tune in before the CD deadline.
WOW! HAPPY HAPPY! And thanks to my friends at AGF. Merry Christmas.

Last edited by Kitchen Guitars; 12-23-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:49 AM
happiness

Congratulations, she's a beauty - very distinctive

Fliss

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops