The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-13-2006, 08:52 PM

Default banjo for a guitar player ?

What are the pros and cons of a 5 string versus a 6 string banjo to learn to play? I understand that a 6 string is tuned like a guitar so that should make it easier to play but I don't want to go down the wrong path just because it's easy. Which is easier to get rid of if I don't make the grade? Any consesus?
tnx
Hank
Old 07-13-2006, 09:07 PM

Serious banjo afficianados don't consider a 6-string a banjo. What kind of music you lookin' to play? Bluegrass? 5-string; Old-timey, frailing/clawhammer? open-back 5 string. You wanna "pretend" to play banjo, get a 6 string.

Seriously, 5-string is the way to go..you can't Scruggs pick or do rolls, or really fingerpick with any verve a 6-string. Don't worry about the tuning; the first 4 are just like a tenor guitar, except for the "E" string--it's tuned to a G chord in G tuning-the most common. The 5th string is a "drone" string. There are MANY tunings for banjos as there are with guitars.

The "bible" on 5-Strings is "How To Play The 5 string Banjo" by Pete Seeger. Homespun tapes/DVD's also have excellent lessons and techniques. Best "entry" banjo new? IMHO a Deering "Good Time." Sounds better than it has any right to, and you can get them pretty reasonably on Ebay, used, or new. Top line 5-strings? Wildwood, Deering, Stelling, Sullivan, Ode, Huss and Dalton, Gibson (of course!)--all American made, but 2-3k+. Best imports? I'd say Goldtone, or Saga (the same folks who bring you Blueridge guitars).

Not that you should buy there, but check out "Folkofthewood.com"--they have lots of banjos, sound samples, and decent advice. Sullivan banjos are made by the guys at FQMS. Used is a great route--banjos are not nearly as temperamental or climate sensitive as guitars. Good luck and enjoy. Like Steve Martin says "You just can't be angry and play the banjo." (and Steve is one heluva player--but listen to Bela Fleck sometime...then weep).

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 07-13-2006, 09:10 PM

A 6 six string banjo is essentially a guitar played through a banjo effects pedal. You can't play banjo music on a 6 string banjo. If you like the Earl Scruggs bluegrass 3-finger style, you need the high 5th string. Clawhammer/old time/dixieland all have their own requirements, and a 6 string won't do it.

Look into a Goodtime II for bluegrass or a Goodtime for old time. Also, check out www.banjohangout.com.

Rockbridge Slope D
Martin America 1
Woolson Soundcraft Sig
Old 07-13-2006, 09:29 PM

What's a 6 string minus one string tuned like a 5 string?
tnx
Hank
Old 07-13-2006, 09:31 PM

Exclamation I don't know how to play a banjo.

I've tried to like 6-string "banjitars", but it didn't sound like a banjo to me...no matter how I tried to use the "roll'.
Personally, if I was to look for a banjo, it's gonna'be one of those Irish Tenor banjos.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 07-13-2006, 10:26 PM

As said above, you really need to decide what style you want to play.

I played guitar for many years and then gave it up for many years of playing frailing and clawhammer styles on a 5-string banjo. I really enjoyed all of the open tunings and rhythms. Melodies, drones, and interesting syncopations created by hammer-ons and pull-offs, are so easy and fun on a 5-string.

It was fun to bring all that back to my reborn intersest in guitar. I now play melodies in open tunings, with bare fingers, in a more rhythmic and intersesting way than ever before. The journey gave me a unique style that even friends of mine that are good players enjoy.

I am not even nearly as good of a player as I sound sometimes. I do credit playing the banjo with my personal guitar style that sometimes overrides my very numerous liabilities.

Good luck in your quest. Take it where you want, but I might recommend the 5-string open-back. It's a ton of fun alternating that thumb between the bass strings and that high 5th string.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:26 PM

Serious 6 string guitar players don't consider anything with 4 or 5 strings a playable instrument. If you have the time, and money to pursue real banjo picking get a 4 or a 5 string and prepare to learn new chord constructions and new picking cadences that portray the real banjo world.

If, on the other hand, you are a 6 string guitar player who would occasionally like to offer a banjo-like sound as part of your sonic offering-a 6 string banjo, tuned like a guitar, could be a potent asset in your willingness to diversify your sound. You can D-tune this thing, you can G-tune this thing, you can E-tune this thing. All of these tunings, combined with your masterful command of different picking patterns can create a scenario where the listeners, let's call them "The Audience", are overwhelmed by your ability to offer authentic banjo sounds as part of your evening of entertaining them.

This scenario completely works for me. I've had many folks come up after a show and express their amazement that I was so competent on the banjo as well as the guitar and piano.

I found the challenge of learning all new chord forms and all new picking cadences too much for me.

Thank you Deering for making the 6-string banjo. Just like the one Glenn Campbell plays, I love mine.

Bigsbee
Old 07-14-2006, 06:36 AM

I can't speak about the 6 string banjo since I've never played one.

I can speak about the 5 string and suggest going for it instead. A Goodtime banjo will not break the bank (used is even better) and it will let you let know if the 5 string banjo is what you want to persue. If it doesn't work out, I guarantee you will not have a problem selling it on Ebay or maybe over on the Banjo Hangout.

If you are a tinkerer, you'll be in heaven swapping bridges, making head adjustments, changing heads, etc. I think I enjoyed the tinkering more than playing. But that's part of a banjo's beauty to me, make a few changes and you have a new sound to enjoy. (Tinkering is optional, not mandatory)

Don't be shy of open back banjos to save some cash when starting out. Until you decide on a particular style of playing that might require a resonator, an open back banjo will do fine for all styles. Even if you choose the 3 finger bluegrass style an open back will carry those tunes well, you don't HAVE to a resonator to learn or play that style. Just as many folks play open back styles (clawhammer, etc) on resonator banjos. It's all a matter of taste and volume.

Do go and visit the banjo hangout!! Good luck.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:55 AM

Take a look around this store website. Check out the sound file index of clawhammer playing. If you decide to do mail order I suggest giving this place a shot. Good folks.

http://zeppmusic.com/
Old 07-14-2006, 06:57 AM

I have a Gretsch 5 string for sale or trade for an accoustic guitar. It's an ok beginner banjo. Could send pics if interested. I've kind of lost interest and have become more interested in learning guitar after I bought an electric for my son. The banjo is fun, give it a try.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:05 AM

i own a deering d6, its realy nice for certain kinds of music. it takes a little getting used to, its heavy and the neck is long.the main thing is people seem to enjoy it. gordon www.colerainconsort.org
Old 07-14-2006, 10:04 AM

You can't get much out of a 6 string banjo, or even the 5 string banjo patch on a Variax acoustic. Tenors aren't bad and you'll find that tuning on lots of world instruments, but a 5 string is the way to go....at least that' my opinion after 35 years of playing them.

For a banjo to start I'd look for something used and made overseas. Some from the '70's and '80's were pretty good. In fact my go to stage banjo is an Aria Pro II 'Country Joe' archtop with a great neck, wood, and tone ring and it's preferred over my Deering or Ode.

No matter where it is made, just like a guitar, a lot of what makes a banjo fun to play is a goot setup.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:36 PM

http://www.bluesageband.com/Tabs.html

A site to check out for clawhammer instruction, tab, tunes. Thought I'd post in case anyone is interested.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:55 PM

Sounds like I need to get a 5 string but before I start looking I need some help. I know how to differentiate acoustic guitars pretty well but haven't a clue on banjos. Is there a site with some facts on the brands and where the their models fit in the picking order? I'm inclined to look for a quality used one but if there's exceptional value in some of the imports I'd sure like to know. I have a Ibanez Artwood 100, Taylor 810 and Martin HD 28. The Ibanez was my starter I still like it since it's solid wood. Any tips, pointers or URL directs appreciated.
tnx
Hank
Old 07-15-2006, 07:11 PM

There are reviews of numerous banjos at banjohangout.org.

If you have questions ask them there and you will get plenty of knowledgable responses.

If you like quality used banjos (almost all made in US), look at bernunzios.com.

If you are looking primarily to frail/clawhammer or play other Oldtime styles as opposed to bluegrass, I dont think too many if any people will steer you towards used Asian banjos. There may be some good new and ones, but the US is where most quality open back banjos are and were built, by far. As mentioned though, you can play any style on any banjo but unless you need a resonator why bother with one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments