The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Gibson and 300 Guitars

I bought a Gibson guitar in which they only made 300 guitars. How long would it have taken Gibson to build 300 of the same guitar design in their Bozeman Montana plant in 2010? I just wondering.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-21-2020, 11:56 PM

I don’t quite understand exactly what you’re asking, Mr. Jelly. Are you saying that the guitar in question was one of a run of three hundred? Or are you asking how many days would it take the GibsonMontana plant to make 300 guitars of all types?

Because there a number of different models going through the assembly line at any given time. When I was given a walk through tour of the factory in 2016 they had virtually all of their production model guitars in various stages of assembly on the line.

As for how many acoustic guitars they make in a week, I’d have to ask Don Ruffato. It’s quite a few, but I don’t have any solid numbers. It might be around 75 to 100, but don’t take that as gospel, because I don’t know for certain.

If you tell me what model you have I might be able to track down that information, but I’m still not exactly sure what you’re asking. So please clarify that, and I’ll try to find out what I can.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-22-2020, 03:24 AM

Gibson may not have made all 300 in one hit.

For comparison I have a Martin Grand J12-40E Special.
There were only 231 guitars made but production was spread across 3 years - 2009/10/11.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-22-2020, 06:32 AM

Default 88 per day

I visited the G factory in fall 2015 and was informed that they were building 88 guitars a day at that time. So, less than 4 days, in theory . . .
Old 01-22-2020, 06:45 AM

A few years back I recall it being reported that Bozeman was turning out 17,000 guitars a year. At times though it seems that Bozeman issues as many limited run guitars as stock instruments. But if you look at them structurally they are more often as not the same as stock instruments - standard Ren-deigned bracing carve and one of two footprints, same body but possibly with a wood not traditionally associated with that model, and so on.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
If you tell me what model you have I might be able to track down that information, but I’m still not exactly sure what you’re asking. So please clarify that, and I’ll try to find out what I can.

Wade Hampton Miller
It's a Gibson Custom Shop Keb Mo L-00 Bluesmaster 12 fret. A Ren Ferguson guitar. The original 300 have some appointments that don't appear on the guitars that were made after the first 300. I can't find much information about the first 300. Just canned promotional verbiage that is similar to what is on the guitars that came after the first 300.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-22-2020, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
It's a Gibson Custom Shop Keb Mo L-00 Bluesmaster 12 fret. A Ren Ferguson guitar. The original 300 have some appointments that don't appear on the guitars that were made after the first 300.
I had one of those first 300 as well...those are nice guitars...if I remember correctly those Kebs were made over a couple year period. They sold better than expected and thats when Gibson decided to continue the run and changed the specs a bit (I think they removed the back strip for instance.) I got mine during a visit to Bozeman from Music Villa. It was natural and had sat a while so got a good deal on it. I ended up selling when I got a good offer for it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion