The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Default OM Suggestions ($4K budget)

Hi all. I'm interested in suggestions for an (ideally) Rosewood OM that could serve as a 'do it all' type of guitar. I like 1.75 nut width with saddle spacing 2 1/4 or less. I generally am a fan of buying used, but would consider new. Let's call the budget $4K or under but I'd like to keep it closer to $3K if possible. I have quite a few dreads and a 000-18, but am looking for something a little more comfortable to play than a dread that still has decent projection and bass response. I would like it to handle moderate strumming and some fingerstyle and I tend to favor a vintage tone more than a modern sound. Below is what I'm considering, but what am I missing?

Santa Cruz OM or OM/PW: Probably the leader in the clubhouse at this point. There usually aren't a ton of used ones around and asking prices generally seem pretty high relative to what they were a few years ago. At some point if the used price gets close enough to the new price I would just order new with custom specs (I realize that is above my $4K budget)

Martin OM-28: Likely with exotic woods. I have played several Martin OM-28s and haven't loved one yet though, so those have kind of hit the back burner.

Huss and Dalton TOM-R: Don't have a lot of experience with H&D to be honest. Most people seem to like them.

Collings OM Deep Body: I haven't played a lot of Collings guitars that I love. They sound very bright (almost strident) to me.

Preston Thompson: These are expensive. Are the OM's really that good?

I'm also open to any other suggestions that people have. Thanks!
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 01-21-2020, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

A used Goodall TROM would be my recommendation. Goodall compare quite favorably with all the brands you listed. If you had more budge a Froggy Bottom H would be a great option too but they get quite pricey!

Goodall guitars usually will hang with any 5 figure $xx,xxx you compare them with. You don't realize how good they are until you play them side by side with other boutique makers like mentioned in this thread.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23

Last edited by SuperB23; 01-21-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:24 PM

Certainly from my view, Bourgeois! Dana has a stellar reputation for bringing back the OM into the modern era, is an expert in voicing his guitars (he does every guitar personally and I've attended a workshop to watch him demonstrate this), and retains a marvelous wood locker of the highest quality. I think your budget fits perfectly for a search of one of Dana's guitars. Along with only a few others, Dana has attained almost living legend status in the acoustic guitar community....well earned, in my view!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-21-2020, 12:27 PM

Having been through lots of expensive OMs, I can tell you that the answer is actually the cheap and cheerful Martin OM21.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
A used Goodall TROM would be my recommendation. Goodall compare quite favorably with all the brands you listed. If you had more budge a Froggy Bottom H would be a great option too but they get quite pricey!

Goodall guitars usually will hang with any 5 figure $xx,xxx you compare them with.
Thanks. I agree with you on both accounts! I have a Goodall RCJ that I love for fingerstyle, but find it a bit sustainy/overtoney (both not words) for strumming. TROM is definitely on the radar. Stretching for a Froggy is an interesting one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Certainly from my view, Bourgeois! Dana has a stellar reputation for bringing back the OM into the modern era, is an expert in voicing his guitars (he does every guitar personally and I've attended a workshop to watch him demonstrate this), and retains a marvelous wood locker of the highest quality. I think your budget fits perfectly for a search of one of Dana's guitars. Along with only a few others, Dana has attained almost living legend status in the acoustic guitar community....well earned, in my view!!
I actually was looking at Bourgeois but most of them had wider string spacing at the saddle than I liked. Still, might make sens to keep looking.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 01-21-2020, 12:42 PM

I have a Santa Cruz OM with rosewood back and sides. It's a great guitar.

But I played several others of the same model beforehand, and they were blah guitars. Well made, yes. Great fit and finish. But they kinda just laid there.

Same story for the Collins OMs that I've played (and I've played many of them here in Austin.) Most were competent, very well made guitars that didn't speak to me. Blah. Except for a OM1A that happened to be fantastic, divine.

I really think it all depends on the individual guitar. OMs are a good all-rounder model...but in my opinion they do tend lack personality most of the time. They generally can't bring the particular magic of a smaller guitar with a bouncing voice, or the rich round sound of a dread. I think you have to find the OM that brings a little something extra, and you have to play them one by one.

YMMV and all that of course.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:01 PM

I think all those you listed are great. I'd also tell you to look at Furch from the Czech Republic.

The other thing you might consider the new Taylor 912
Old 01-21-2020, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

I'd recommend a Bourgeois. A Collings OM2h is also a wonderful option.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:17 PM

If you're able to find a Huss and Dalton I think you'd be pleased.
Martin CEO-7
Custom Huss and Dalton DS 12 fret
Cole-Clark FL3AC
American standard strat
Old 01-21-2020, 01:23 PM

I'd also look at the Larrivee OM-40. The 'vintage' bracing on this produces a sweet tone for less money than many of these suggestions. I found it to be quite versatile.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 01-21-2020, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

I'd add Boucher guitars to your list. I haven't played one but they sound great in the video's I've watched/heard. Certainly in that price range. Best of luck whatever you go with!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-21-2020, 01:34 PM

Used OM/OWs are a good deal. All the others mentioned are great. Check the used market for the Collings Julian Lage OM.

My recent find was Northwood. You can get a new one under 4K. I bought a Northwood L OO of Mahogany and Torrefied Adirondack. It holds its own with my Santa Cruz, Merrill, and Brondel.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:46 PM

I went on the exact same quest last year. I played everything I could get my hands on. I ended up with a Huss & Dalton TOM-R. Before I spent the afternoon with it, I had never even heard of the brand before.

That being said, I certainly have nothing bad to say about anything on your list. They are all great guitars.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereagle48 View Post
If you're able to find a Huss and Dalton I think you'd be pleased.
I'd recommend a Huss & Dalton CM - 000 top with a deep body....

Last edited by RP; 01-21-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I'd recommend a Huss & Dalton CM - OM top with a deep body....
Exactly what I was going to suggest. That or a regular Collings OM2H - you won't need a deep body option for an OM2H once it opens up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion