The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 06:29 AM

Perhaps one of the most worthlessness comparisons I have ever seen. These guitars basically have nothing in common. At least compare similar woods and body styles.

Martin folks seem to love using this as an example of why Taylor guitars are garbage.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:45 AM

Thru my Bose speakers, the difference is only in the Dreadnought body vs the Grand Auditorium. The Taylor is cutting thru better, because of its shape. I would also bet that plugging in, the Taylor would sound better. Its a shame he didn't play both guitars using the same right hand position, which effects the warmness of tone.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:59 AM

Glad this has now been settled. Another public service to make guitar buying easier and less confusing is always helpful.

This type of comparison occurs daily, but having it demonstrated by video makes it real. Assigning traits to an entire brand of guitars from a singular sample of only one model, done in a completely non-balanced way, may seem to be a waste of time, but to others it's innocent fun and stimulates conversation.

Ah, the golden era for new players has just begun. Reading about tonewoods, clips of guitars poorly demonstrated, modern conveniences that take the guesswork out of purchasing a guitar. No need to leave home, the work is being done for you by hobbyists and semi-professionals online!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-21-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Callicutt View Post
I don't know about the Taylor/Martin comparison, but to my ear single coils sound more open, more lush with blooming overtones and crystalline clarity edginess, while humbuckers (and mind you I like 'em) are almost too perfect, and maybe that's why they sound so good distorted.
Right, I think it's far too simplistic to view single coils as thin/trebly/reedy. If you think about it as far as harmonic content, I tend to view pre-war Martins in the same vein as pre-CBS Fenders as being best in breed in that vintage domain.

As a primarily electric player in my mind it's more like Martin = Fender, Gibson = Gibson, and Taylor = PRS.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:17 AM

It's also of no real use having different people playing each one. Each has his own playing style, which adds to the differences we hear in the video.

If you had the same guy playing both it might be a better comparison.

Besides, the guy playing the Taylor seems kind of smug. The guy with the Martin seems much more personable.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 01-21-2020, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrobertsxxx View Post

Am I crrraaazzyyyy?
I am qualified to answer this question so, yes (though the analogy is helpful!)
Old 01-21-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Perhaps one of the most worthlessness comparisons I have ever seen. These guitars basically have nothing in common. At least compare similar woods and body styles.

Martin folks seem to love using this as an example of why Taylor guitars are garbage.
I didn't take it that way, but I can't stand Les Pauls. Nothing that small should be that heavy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-21-2020, 11:42 PM

Long ago, A few years after my wife gave me a wonderful custom HD 28, I was invited to join the worship band at church. The pastor had a nice redwood topped Taylor and I was a bit dismayed when I discovered my Martin sounded very different. It was all good and I have since learned that pretty much all guitars can sound different, but yet very good.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:21 AM

Ok, I watched it again. This time clicked on Youtube. He says its a Grand Symphony body. The Taylor sounds better than the Martin finger picking at the 3:46 mark.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion