The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-25-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakar12 View Post
So how do you feel about Meg's collection of Bedell's? Would you / have you purchased one? Did you like the tone?
I only played a couple but found them to be beautifully built, visually stunning, and extremely fairly priced. The sound wasn’t what I’m looking for at the moment exactly but from an objective and measurable perspective I think they’re phenomenal.

That being said one of my friends came with me and fell in love with one of them (I can’t remember the specific model). He was toying with the idea of selling several lesser guitars in order to bring it home and he DOESN’T do that, ever.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:31 PM

I agree that they're fairly priced. I did wonder if the Bedell's were overbuilt ... Way heavy and not as responsive as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emuhunter View Post
I only played a couple but found them to be beautifully built, visually stunning, and extremely fairly priced. The sound wasn’t what I’m looking for at the moment exactly but from an objective and measurable perspective I think they’re phenomenal.

That being said one of my friends came with me and fell in love with one of them (I can’t remember the specific model). He was toying with the idea of selling several lesser guitars in order to bring it home and he DOESN’T do that, ever.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakar12 View Post
I agree that they're fairly priced. I did wonder if the Bedell's were overbuilt ... Way heavy and not as responsive as I would like.
The Maple backed Wildfire Dread I played felt a little heavy but it made beautiful music, very responsive. The guitar player in me said bring it home now, but the financial realist put the brakes on it.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:29 PM

My Orchestra 1964 Adirondack is very light weight. Very crisp. Very responsive. The only negative I can say about it is that it really likes fresh strings. I hate changing strings and I like the way my Martin sounds after the strings break in.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Late to this thread, but I own 2 Bedells, a 1964 Parlor (mahogany/sitka) and a Coffee House Parlor (rosewood/adirondack). FYI, Bedell Parlors are similar in size to a Martin 00. I think these are exceptional guitars. Some have been critical of their 1 11/16 nut, but I find it extremely comfortable to play. I've owned multiple higher-end Martin, Taylor, Larrivee, Breedlove, etc. and in my opinion, Bedells take a back seat to none of them.

Note that mine are fairly recent and are US builds. There was a period when Bedells were made oversea. My comments apply to the US built models only. I have no experience with the prior overseas builds.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

I have ONLY played Bedell guitars that were made over in Bend, Oregon... none of them have been "overbuilt", not to my way of thinking, and every one has been a truly wonderful sounding (and looking) instrument!

The two dreadnoughts I played were phenomenal guitars (this, from a decidedly non-dreadnought guy!); although brand new, they were light, LOUD, very good balance to the tone, beautifully constructed and finished with a lot of little details that show the attention they are given.

I would caution everyone to realize that:

1) Bedells are NOT Breedloves

and

2) American-made Bedells should never be compared to the Bedells made in China, as they are a whole 'nother critter entirely!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-20-2020, 10:09 PM

I have two, a parlor model, and a great sounding cedar topped Orchestra sized, that I got for a song when an internet dealer had their "Bedell Blowout".
They make a lot of guitars, and like Breedlove, they are fine quality and sounding.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:18 PM

"Bedells are not Breedloves" ?

A true but perhaps incomplete statement. I have a Breedlove Masterclass C-20 built in Bend by Steve Henderson. It is an absolutely superior guitar. I have a friend who is a Bedell signature endorser, and I've played his custom Bedell - also built in Oregon and a superior instrument. Now, there are Asian guitars out there that are Breedloves and Bedells. Also very nice instruments but in a different category of build. So if it sounds like I'm taking issue with the Bedell vs Breedlove comment, I'm not; just pointing out that this company makes a confusing array of guitars at all levels of quality and price regardless of the headstock.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:35 AM

My experience has been that the post Breedlove models are wicked good. When Bedell started up they made some Asian models that were just average. That was a good while back and they are all made in Bend, Oregon now. I have tried quite a few and each has been phenomenal IMHO. Resale is terrible so they can be very good deals in the used market.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion