The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2019, 06:00 PM

Default Info on Bedell Acoustic Guitars?

I played a couple of Bedell Dreadnought guitars recently and they got my attention in a good way. One was mahogany backed and one maple. They both sounded really nice and played well with good setups. I play with a pick, strumming and some filler single note picking. I usually like 1 3/4 " nut width but these had 1 11/16". They felt good to me regardless, and this may be due to the neck shape being different than my Martin and Gibsons. The price has me a little nervous though, at around $2300-2800.

Anybody have experience with Bedell guitars they'd like to pass on? I'd be interested in any info, especially from owners who've had their Bedell for a while. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:21 PM

The owner of my LGS loves them. I've played about 10 or so that they have in stock, and feel like they punch above their weight. I wouldn't go all out and buy the Brazilian rosewood version, but I do like their Maple back version.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

I have owned two U.S. made Bedells. They were both exceptional in build, playability, and tone. Materials were also top notch. The sitka/mahogany 1964 dread I owned may be the best mahogany guitar I have owned among many fancy schmancy boutiquey guitars. I actually bought it back once and foolishly sold it again. I think they are a steal if you shop around and especially if you are ok buying used. The customer service is also outstanding.

Last edited by Brent Nelson; 11-24-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

I met Tom Bedell about a week ago. He did a presentation about his guitars at my LGS (Harry's in Raleigh). The thing that caught my attention is he says they are tap tuning their tops and backs to achieve a certain frequency before they assemble. Then after the guitars are assembled and finish is applied they hand scallop the braces to keep them at the target tap frequencies. He said the approach is used on all the Bedells and Breedlove...
Old 11-23-2019, 07:25 PM

It very much depends on the Bedell guitar, when it was made and where it was made. They are not all created similarly let alone equal. I would always play a Bidell prior to purchasing (like most guitars). They can be great... or not.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
I met Tom Bedell about a week ago. He did a presentation about his guitars at my LGS (Harry's in Raleigh). The thing that caught my attention is he says they are tap tuning their tops and backs to achieve a certain frequency before they assemble. Then after the guitars are assembled and finish is applied they hand scallop the braces to keep them at the target tap frequencies. He said the approach is used on all the Bedells and Breedlove...
Here's an interview in AGM where Tom explains the science behind the Bedell/Breedlove approach to wood selection and optimization.

https://acousticguitar.com/tom-bedel...ell-breedlove/

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 11-24-2019, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

That article said that by the time he was 18 Bedell had been a guitar instructor...but he told us he doesn't play. He never demoed any of his guitars except for strumming open strings...
Old 11-24-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakar12 View Post
The owner of my LGS loves them. I've played about 10 or so that they have in stock, and feel like they punch above their weight. I wouldn't go all out and buy the Brazilian rosewood version, but I do like their Maple back version.
Your LGS doesn’t happen to be Acoustic Music on 4th South does it?
Old 11-24-2019, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

They are exceptional in quality. They make small batches and have a high attention to detail. They’ve been miserable sellers and most dealers have abandoned them or end up selling them at a huge discount. That’s all marketing in my option. When the Bedell line first appeared, they were so-so Asian imports primarily. Since moving to more of a boutique model, I’ll put their materials and quality up against most of the bigger boutique guys, but they have just had some stigma about them or something.

The coffeee house and 1964 series are outstanding in every way and pretty unique for a common wood complement. Their Brazilian and Cocobolo guitsrs are incredible and way less than competitors.

I’ve had 4 and due to the really low resale values, scored huge when I got them and lost when I sold them, but they are exceptionally well built and great quality.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Interesting stuff. I've never played a Bedell per se, but have owned a dozen Breedloves including the new Legacy Concerto koa that I just bought two weeks ago, so in that regard I guess you could say that I've played/owned Bedells. I'm going to keep my eyes opened for sweet deals on Bedell branded guitars.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:12 PM

I have owned a Orchestra model 1964 (mahogany back and sides) with an Adirondack top for almost 2 years. It's unbelievable. I told the story here, but I was at Action Sound in Hawkins Texas with my dad and they brought out the guitar to try. It blew me away and my dad noticed that i was super impressed. It's a long story, but my son was about to have brain surgery and my dad didn't know what to do (nor did i). I think he saw it as a way to get my mind off worrying about my son and focus on something else. He bought it for me and gave it to me a few weeks later.

Anyway, fast forward and my Martin (HD-28S) sat in the closet for A LONG TIME without any love.

The bedell is beautiful, sounds amaizing, plays effortlessly.

I'm not too versed on "boutique" brands (I've played a few collings, santa cruz, etc) and the Bedell is on the same level - perfection in execution, sound, playability with spectacular woods.

My Martin is a big 12 fret rosewood dred and this little orchestra model is the perfect companion. It's my only guitar with an Adirondack top, but the guitar can take getting hit hard and hold it's own.

I could go on and on....

I don't know why they don't get the love they so certainly deserve, but they are super bargains on the used market. Kelly always has a great selection in Hawkins!
Old 11-24-2019, 07:15 PM

Thanks everyone for the great info! The ones I played were of very good quality, and played nicely.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:20 PM

Yep . Great place and great owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emuhunter View Post
Your LGS doesn’t happen to be Acoustic Music on 4th South does it?

Gone but not forgotten:
Old 11-24-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakar12 View Post
Yep . Great place and great owners.
Definitely!! Small world.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:08 AM

So how do you feel about Meg's collection of Bedell's? Would you / have you purchased one? Did you like the tone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by emuhunter View Post
Definitely!! Small world.

Gone but not forgotten:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion