The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-05-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrwhit View Post
Out of curiosity, WM, what software program did you use to tab out the exercise above? That looks so much cleaner than my hand-written tab!
Pine got it right, Guitar Pro, version 6. Having GP, or something else like it, can be a distraction if you let it. I like that I can use it as sort of a metronome, with feeling.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:18 PM

Example 8 isn't working out for me. I made a thread about it. If you already figured out the issue, or can let me know it's really not an issue, I'd appreciate it.

Example 8.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=475526
Old 07-05-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
Example 8 isn't working out for me. I made a thread about it. If you already figured out the issue, or can let me know it's really not an issue, I'd appreciate it.

Example 8.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=475526
I read your other thread but I'm going to put my answer here since it will make more sense to people who have the book and can refer to what I am saying.

I think the answer is that the section is about leading tones, walk-ups and walk downs. This is a leading tone example. On page 18, Dan discusses replacing the last strum in the alternating bass sequence with the leading tone. He then provides Example 8 titled rhythm using leading tones. Only after this, does he use the word "walk" for the first time. In the first paragraph on page 19, Dan says that we can strengthen the sound of the movement between chords by using a longer base walk-up. He follows that with some discussion of walk-ups and Example 9 titled rhythm walking up the scale.

So, Example 8 does not sound like a walking bass line because it isn't trying to be one. It is an example of using leading tones.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
Do you think that you made the turn from not having to think about things and that's why progress shot up?
No, I think that not having to think and having my capability for speed suddenly increase are both results of having put in the practice needed to build "muscle memory" or in more scientific terms, to build myelin on the neural circuits. I also built hand strength, dexterity and flexibility all of which help. Since I was new to the guitar when I started the book, I was also trying to work on all the usual beginner problems like slow chord changes and making my fingers do things they had never done before. I think that's why it took me so long.

I'm an experienced teacher and tutor in other disciplines and I've always been fascinated by how people learn so I was careful to practice in a way that I knew would produce results. There is some fascinating research coming out in the area of skill development and I'm happy to take advantage of it in teaching myself guitar.

I spent 10-15 minutes each practice session playing all three examples trying for perfection each time so I didn't learn it wrong. Then I went on to more interesting things so I built other skills and had fun playing songs.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:22 PM

So ....... I got frustrated with examples having things in there that I could not reproduce because they didn't follow what they were teaching. I have an instructor who is going to go through the book with me so he can beat into my thick head what's going on. I suspect the book is actually fine, and the problem is me.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:23 PM

I did notice one mistake but when I looked at the FGM website I saw it in the "errata" page so it looked like a typo that slipped through.

I recently started taking lessons. My primary goal is to get rid of any bad habits I acquired teaching myself with internet videos. My instructor is kind of a long drive away but I'm glad to have him since I live someplace remote. I'm putting in more time on exercises I am getting from him right now than on the Flatpicking Essentials. I'm still getting better at both so I guess it must all be cumulative.

I just pulled off a bass run for the first time while jamming so I'm pretty happy about that. The book seems to be working as I'd hoped.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clallam View Post
I did notice one mistake but when I looked at the FGM website I saw it in the "errata" page so it looked like a typo that slipped through.

I recently started taking lessons. My primary goal is to get rid of any bad habits I acquired teaching myself with internet videos. My instructor is kind of a long drive away but I'm glad to have him since I live someplace remote. I'm putting in more time on exercises I am getting from him right now than on the Flatpicking Essentials. I'm still getting better at both so I guess it must all be cumulative.

I just pulled off a bass run for the first time while jamming so I'm pretty happy about that. The book seems to be working as I'd hoped.
That's good to hear.

I'm hoping that what I found is "me". I can fix that, with help.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:25 PM

I have a question for you guys!

I am in the UK so I was thinking of buying the PDF version rather than dealing with postage and customs. My only concern is there is no mention of the pdf version getting the audio files from the cd that comes with the book. I have sent a few emails to the site and not received a reply.

Did anyone get the PDF version and if so did you receive the audio?

Thanks
Old 10-19-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve! View Post
I have a question for you guys!

I am in the UK so I was thinking of buying the PDF version rather than dealing with postage and customs. My only concern is there is no mention of the pdf version getting the audio files from the cd that comes with the book. I have sent a few emails to the site and not received a reply.

Did anyone get the PDF version and if so did you receive the audio?

Thanks
Steve - the download includes sound files, so a good way to go.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:41 AM

Hope this thread is still active. I got vol. 1 a few weeks ago and am slowly working my way up to example 15. When the book says to practice until you can play it with accuracy, confidence, speed, and such, what speed do you guys consider to be up to par? 120 bpm? 140? I'm not really sure which speed I need to aim for before moving on to the next section.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckywebb View Post
Hope this thread is still active. I got vol. 1 a few weeks ago and am slowly working my way up to example 15. When the book says to practice until you can play it with accuracy, confidence, speed, and such, what speed do you guys consider to be up to par? 120 bpm? 140? I'm not really sure which speed I need to aim for before moving on to the next section.
If you can play it accurately at 120 bpm, you should move on but certainly come back to previous exercises and get up to 130-140. It’s a great flatpick primer for sure and fun.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 10-14-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
If you can play it accurately at 120 bpm, you should move on but certainly come back to previous exercises and get up to 130-140. It’s a great flatpick primer for sure and fun.
Awesome, thanks!
Old 06-21-2019, 05:03 AM

Default Flatpicking Essentials Course

Hi everyone.
I just want to know if the Flatpicking Essentials Course is for someone just starting out on the guitar? Just want to know before I invest money into it.
Thanks,
David
Old 06-22-2019, 03:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbramsey View Post
Hi everyone.
I just want to know if the Flatpicking Essentials Course is for someone just starting out on the guitar? Just want to know before I invest money into it.
Thanks,
David
I think so if you are interested in flatpicking. It is also rooted in bluegrass. If you can play open G, C, D, and Am chord shapes, you should be fine with the first half of the book. Play each exercise as slow as needed to be accurate. A metronome is mandatory.

For someone just starting playing, I would advise they complete the Justin Guitar beginner course first (especially if you have no teacher) and then if you are interested in flatpicking, add Flatpicking Essentials to your guitar study. Make sure you always have some songs too to be working on and enjoying. The Justin Guitar beginner course will give you a solid foundation plus it introduces you to strumming, flatpicking, and a taste of fingerstyle.

Hope this helps.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 09-16-2020, 07:29 AM

Default Revive the Learning Group?

Hi guys. Hope that bringing this "zombie thread" back to life isn't frowned upon, but I for one would like to revive this "Learning Group". Wish I could say that I kept up with this and finished FPEv1, but I didn't. Anyone else up for it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write