The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2016, 09:47 AM

I wouldn't take a guitar, but I would consider a seagull Merlin for that purpose. You also might want to look at the outdoor ukulele company, as this is their wheelhouse and they are out of bend, or so there is a local angle for you. I think weight would be your primary enemy. I might consider a goodtime banjo as well, though banjos are heavy...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 02-18-2016, 10:14 AM

I backpack in the PNW a few times a year. I take my Go Guitar. It adds a little bit of weight, but I don't mind too terribly. I'll leave it behind if the forecast looks wet, but otherwise, I like having it with me on the trail.

I strap it to the back of my pack. It's developing some patina.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Hiker View Post
I enjoy backpacking in the wilderness areas of Oregon and Washington. I try to get in a few multi-day trips each year (although last year was a dry spell for me). Lately I've been kicking around the idea of taking a guitar into the backcountry with me to play in the evenings before retiring.

So for any of you who are backpackers, have you ever taken a guitar with you? If so what kind (dread, OM, etc.)? Did you protect it with some sort of case/bag or just strap it caseless on your backpack?

Thanks for reading, looking forward to hearing your answers.

RH
I think Martin makes a disposable guitar for this purpose.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 02-18-2016, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I actually took a Martin Backpacker backpacking once. It was honestly more trouble than it was worth, and it sounded terrible. I decided I can live without a guitar while trekking.
I had the same feeling about the Martin Backpacker. It just wasn't right for me.

I have done a fair amount of backpacking over the years because I live on the Olympic Peninsula just south of Olympic National Park. I have never taken any kind of music instrument with me. I found that as I hike in the quiet that pretty soon my head is full of music. I haven't found a way to record whatever it is that my brain comes up with, but it's some terrific stuff.

I have taken full-sized guitars on camping trips where there wasn't a great deal of walking and exertion involved. But for real backpacking, I am always thinking about how to reduce the weight I am carrying.

- Glenn
Old 02-18-2016, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picassov7 View Post
Car camping, absolutely (specially when we were camping for our mountain bike trips). True backpacking, probably not. I agree on a harp or possibly a uke.
Is it just me, or does the mental picture of someone dragging their butt up a mountain with a full sized 'harp' strapped to their backpack make you smile?
Old 02-18-2016, 02:46 PM

I, too, used to think carrying my Martin Backpacker on an actual backpacking trip was too much trouble. Until I saw this, this morning...

https://vimeo.com/108123416

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 02-18-2016, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
I, too, used to think carrying my Martin Backpacker on an actual backpacking trip was too much trouble. Until I saw this, this morning...

Wow, that is a big instrument to carry around in the wild. I admire the determination.

- Glenn
Old 02-19-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post

Similar story a couple of years ago on Long's Peak in Colorado:

http://www.kunc.org/post/cello-conce...orado#stream/0
1998 Alvarez-Yairi DY38c
2012 Kentucky KM-150 Mandolin
Old 02-19-2016, 04:56 PM

I string my backpacker to Nashville tuning which sounds nice in the woods.

I never understand the negative comments. This was dirt cheap, portable and pretty durable. Nice way to unwind at the end of the day or when waiting out a rainstorm in a shelter.

I don't carry ice with me either but that doesn't keep me from drinking lukewarm water. Tastes pretty good after a long walk uphill
Old 01-22-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
...A true backpacking trip - never. Too demanding. A day-trip or "hike" with backpack then Yes. That's what my Voyage Air VAOM is for.
Hey Steve, old thread, new question... do you know the actual scale weight of your Voyage Air guitar? It sounds perfect for 2-4 day kayak/backpack camp trips.

I have been considering the Washburn Rover... 2#-1oz, 24" scale... decent instruments with a ladder-brace boxy tone... I'd prefer the VA if the weight is near 2#.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 01-22-2020, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
Last year I was hiking the Appalachian Trail and came across a petite woman carrying a cello in a hardshell case strapped to her backpack.

CK
A cello on the AT? That's some serious dedication.

My son is also an Eagle Scout and while I was only an ASM, I pretty much did all the "legwork" right along with him ... as others have stated, the definition of hiking/backpacking varies widely.
In the scouting world, I would think a guitar would be too much sacrifice of space and weight for the return ... it would be cool to have by the fire though ...

Old 01-22-2020, 08:56 AM

When I was a young man back in the 70's I took a Giannini guitar on a 3 day hike on the A.T. (about 40 miles)
I built some HPL bodied instruments with WRC tops (pre- Martin) that I would take on backpacking trips with my kids' scout troop and to the beach. They were relatively light weight and durable and fairly weatherproof.
The Kids are grown and most of those instruments have also departed.
I build "travel guitars" where the neck stores inside the body, and now y'all have got me thinking I should build one out of HPL/WRC for "traveling" in the great outdoors.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest 728 View Post
I actually took a Martin Backpacker backpacking once. It was honestly more trouble than it was worth, and it sounded terrible. I decided I can live without a guitar while trekking.
Agreed! About the Martin Backpacker. It does do a great job in stoking the fire.

I always bring my laminate old Yamaha, but I'm in a trailer, not backpacking.
scott
Old 01-22-2020, 09:51 AM

Hope I don't offend but the Martin Backpacker is horrible in every way possible! I know, I was given one once and got rid of it. I would have never actually spent money on it. I seriously would rather have a Zager or Esteban.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 01-22-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
Hope I don't offend but the Martin Backpacker is horrible in every way possible! I know, I was given one once and got rid of it. I would have never actually spent money on it. I seriously would rather have a Zager or Esteban.
Not for me. I often travel for business, a week at at time. I can throw my Backpacker in the overhead with no fear of it getting injured. It's a single piece of wood (true of Backpackers only during the first year of production.)

It has great intonation, a pleasing little treble voice (no bass though), has the same scale length as my LG-2, and lets me practice guitar and write songs while away from home without adding the slightest hassle to travel.

Sounds pretty dang good, finger style. I've used it on a couple recordings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion