The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2020, 08:57 AM

Default K. Yairi Models

I'm interested in checking out K. Yairi guitars but don't seem to find any comprehensive information on the various (many, many) models that were made over the years. I want to look at, and play, as many different models as possible but don't know which models are better than others in regards to quality. Can some of our K. Yairi enthusiasts shed some light on what models are his best? I believe "M" in the model name, such as DYM, indicates Masterworks models but there are a lot of others to cull through.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:14 AM

Default K. Yairi

My parents gave me a K Yairi guitar when I graduated college in 1978. I was too busy to ever learn how to play it so it followed me in its case for years. It went through dry winters, it spent 12 years in an attic in Montana where temperatures varied from -40 to over 100, all in a dry climate, until it eventually went to a son who now lives in Colorado. I have since learned about temperature and humidity and while visiting him over the Christmas holidays the case measured 25% humidity.

I mention this because the top is still arched perfectly, the guitar is in perfect shape, and it plays and sounds beautifully.

Those guitars were very well made.

Russ
Old 01-22-2020, 11:08 AM

You probably don't want to get me started on Yairi guitars. I have been down the path you attempt to walk. (Including two years in Japan.) There used to be an amazing website (now offline) that had PDFs of several of the catalogs. I wish I could just give you a link with everything, but now research is a bit more taxing.

I hate to respond to your question with questions, but what style are you looking for? I can then be more specific. Budget?

Quality is pretty consistent and wonderful across models and eras. The earliest Yairi's (70s) emulated many of the Martins of the day. These 70s Yairis came in somewhat confusing four number models like the 5075 (later the DY75). I say confusing because during this time, Alvarez was putting out a bunch of non-Yairi guitars that used the 50XX model number system. Some of those were also great guitars, but Yairi just took it up a notch (or three).

Yairi really came into his own in the 80s. Generally the neck profiles started to slim down, and he gets more and more bold with his own touches after having establishing the line in the US. Yairi guitars have always been made by hand in a small shop in Japan. So there's none of this "budget line" nonsense. In the early years, Mr. Yairi worked directly on many that arrived in the US under the Alvarez name (as evidenced by his stamp inside). If you have ever encountered an old-school Japanese craftsperson or artist of any kind (of which Yairi was and his luthiers are), you have a sense of the kind of commitment to craft and quality.

If you are on a tight budget, check out a DY45 ("Vintage Dreadnought"). These can be found relatively easily and for ~$500. That's how I started. I had $300 to spend, and I was lucky to find a 1980s one for about that. I still have it, and I won't ever sell it. (Current ebay listing.)

There is also a DY38 (Wood Ridge Mahogany), but it's basically the same guitar in natural finish and had a cutaway option. (They originally retailed for the same price as DY45.)

Then you have a wide range of DY (D for dreadnought) depending on the years of production. DY74 (Wellington) and DY75 (Lexington) are both rosewood back and sides, for example, (74 came in cutaway) and remained fairly steady in production over the years. Some years they had DY51, 52, 53, 54, 57, 59, 60, 62, 70, 71, 77, 78, 87, 88, 90, 92 and probably a few more mixed in that I'm forgetting—all with different appointments. DY68 and 76 were 12 string models.

Folk models usually start with FY or WY. FY40 Carolina Folk (mahogany) or FY40B (flamed maple), are alot of fun. There were some parlors mixed in too, but again, the old ones are hard to find. I believe they started with PY. (I think you can find PY70s from time to time, as they are a later production model.)

Masterworks models came in the 90s and weren't originally called "DYM." They were just YM ("Yairi Master Luthier") and are really hard to find these days. Then you had AYLs ("Luthier Cutaway"). These can be considered the first "Masterworks" with many of them signed by hand by Yairi. (Sidenote: the 90s YM is cedar over burled mahogany and is my favorite guitar for many reasons; it does everything I ask of it, including making a hack guitarist sound like he knows what he's doing.)

I find the rest of the DYM series confusing. For example, I have a DYM95V 12-fret dreadnought that is an amazing guitar, but I'll be darned if I can find another one or much info on it. The new incarnation seems to be the DYMR70SB which is a sunburst 12-fret dreadnought (not quite as nice as my DYM95V Then there's DYM60, 94, 95, 96...

The 90s also ushered in a number of artist models. Bob Weir model (that's where the W in WY came from). Jerry Garcia models (of which I have a GY2 that is fantastic if you can find one and want to splurge on a dynamite jumbo cutaway). Ani Difranco model. Monte Montgomery model.

In my opinion, Yairi's represent the best bang for buck in acoustic guitars. Granted, I've never had the budget to own most boutique brands out there, and I generally buy/trade used to maximize available cash. But every time I'm in a shop, I pick up an acoustic with a $3,000 price tag and to my ears they can't beat my high-end 80s and 90s-era Yairi's.

He just did some things that make his guitars incredibly solid and durable, in addition to great sounding. Russ's post above is an illustration of that. Japan is notorious for weather swings (and gawdawful humidity), so Yairi had to factor this in when building, and it pays off.

He was fanatical about choosing materials and aging wood. In the early years, he also did things like apply a single fine coat of finish on the INSIDE of a guitar to help it withstand weather/humidity. He also used a method of layering back and sides (not to be oversimplified by calling it "laminate"). For example, he would take three layers of thin tonewood—say rosewood—and glue them together for added strength and, again, to withstand weather well. Some people hear "laminate" and write them off without understanding that this is a different thing entirely from what we usually think of as "laminate" sandwiching of a veneer over lesser material. It helps that he set up his own saw mill at the factory to have greater control. He was second generation guitar maker, taking over his father's factory in 1965. By the time his guitars hit the US market, he'd been making guitars for 30+ years. He knew what he was doing.

There is also a range of classical models, which are top notch. And the Yairi's made in Japan for the Japanese market that do occasionally make it state-side. Someday, I'll start my Yairi blog and cover it all... but I better stop for now. There's probably plenty out there on the boards too. You are absolutely on the right track: explore as many as you can find. You'll enjoy the process and learn alot. I certainly did.

Also: it's old, but this tour of his shop is still worth watching that touches on the handmade stuff, the neck joint, selecting and aging of wood, etc.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yxz6BiG_JE.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-22-2020 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 01-22-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMattingly View Post
You probably don't want to get me started on Yairi guitars. I have been down the path you attempt to walk. (Including two years in Japan.) There used to be an amazing website (now offline) that had PDFs of several of the catalogs. I wish I could just give you a link with everything, but now research is a bit more taxing.

I hate to respond to your question with questions, but what style are you looking for? I can then be more specific. Budget?

Quality is pretty consistent and wonderful across models and eras. The earliest Yairi's (70s) emulated many of the Martins of the day. These 70s Yairis came in somewhat confusing four number models like the 5075 (later the DY75). I say confusing because during this time, Alvarez was putting out a bunch of non-Yairi guitars that used the 50XX model number system. Some of those were also great guitars, but Yairi just took it up a notch (or three).

Yairi really came into his own in the 80s. Generally the neck profiles started to slim down, and he gets more and more bold with his own touches after having establishing the line in the US. Yairi guitars have always been made by hand in a small shop in Japan. So there's none of this "budget line" nonsense. In the early years, Mr. Yairi worked directly on many that arrived in the US under the Alvarez name (as evidenced by his stamp inside). If you have ever encountered an old-school Japanese craftsperson or artist of any kind (of which Yairi was and his luthiers are), you have a sense of the kind of commitment to craft and quality.

If you are on a tight budget, check out a DY45 ("Vintage Dreadnought"). These can be found relatively easily and for ~$500. That's how I started. I had $300 to spend, and I was lucky to find a 1980s one for about that. I still have it, and I won't ever sell it. (Current ebay listing.)

There is also a DY38 (Wood Ridge Mahogany), but it's basically the same guitar in natural finish and had a cutaway option. (They originally retailed for the same price as DY45.)

Then you have a wide range of DY (D for dreadnought) depending on the years of production. DY74 (Wellington) and DY75 (Lexington) are both rosewood back and sides, for example, (74 came in cutaway) and remained fairly steady in production over the years. Some years they had DY51, 52, 53, 54, 57, 59, 60, 62, 70, 71, 77, 78, 87, 88, 90, 92 and probably a few more mixed in that I'm forgetting—all with different appointments. DY68 and 76 were 12 string models.

Folk models usually start with FY or WY. FY40 Carolina Folk (mahogany) or FY40B (flamed maple), are alot of fun. There were some parlors mixed in too, but again, the old ones are hard to find. I believe they started with PY. (I think you can find PY70s from time to time, as they are a later production model.)

Masterworks models came in the 90s and weren't originally called "DYM." They were just YM ("Yairi Master Luthier") and are really hard to find these days. Then you had AYLs and ("Luthier Cutaway"). These can be considered the first "Masterworks" with many of them signed by hand by Yairi. (Sidenote: the 90s YM is cedar over burled mahogany and is my favorite guitar for many reasons; it does everything I ask of it, including making a hack guitarist sound like he knows what he's doing.)

I find the rest of the DYM series confusing. For example, I have a DYM95V 12-fret dreadnought that is an amazing guitar, but I'll be darned if I can find another one or much info on it. The new incarnation seems to be the DYM70SB which is a sunburst 12-fret dreadnought (not quite as nice as my DYM95V Then there's DYM60, 94, 95, 96...

The 90s also ushered in a number of artist models. Bob Weir model (that's where the W in WY came from). Jerry Garcia models (of which I have a GY2 that is fantastic if you can find one and want to splurge on a dynamite jumbo cutaway). Ani Difranco model. Monte Montgomery model.

In my opinion, Yairi's represent the best bang for buck in acoustic guitars. Granted, I've never had the budget to own most boutique brands out there, and I generally buy/trade used to maximize available cash. But every time I'm in a shop, I pick up an acoustic with a $3,000 price tag and to my ears they can't beat my high-end 80s and 90s-era Yairi's.

He just did some things that make his guitars incredibly solid and durable, in addition to great sounding. Russ's post above is an illustration of that. Japan is notorious for weather swings (and gawdawful humidity), so Yairi had to factor this in when building, and it pays off.

He was fanatical about choosing materials and aging wood. In the early years, he also did things like apply a single fine coat of finish on the INSDE of a guitar to help it withstand weather/humidity. He also used a method of layering back and sides (not to be oversimplified by calling it "laminate"). For example, he would take three layers of thin tonewood—say rosewood—and glue them together for added strength and, again, to withstand weather well. Some people hear "laminate" and write them off without understanding that this is a different thing entirely from what we usually think of as "laminate" sandwiching of a veneer over lesser material.

Then you have a range of classical models, which are top notch. And the Yairi's made in Japan for the Japanese market that do occasionally make it state-side. Someday, I'll start my Yairi blog and cover it all... but I better stop for now. There's probably plenty out there on the boards too. You are absolutely on the right track: explore as many as you can find. You'll enjoy the process and learn alot. I certainly did.

Also: it's old, but this tour of his ship is still worth watching that touches on the handmade stuff, the neck joint, selecting and aging of wood, etc.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yxz6BiG_JE.
Thank you for the great info!
Larrivee L-03
Alvarez AP66ESHB
Guild "Madeira" A-20
Fender Kingman
A few Strats
Couple of Tele's
Aria Pro II Stray Cat
Godin Triumph

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-22-2020 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:19 PM

I own a 1990 DY77 that I bought new and I will never sell it. I have promised to will it to my buddy that also has a Yairi….he's the one that turned me on to them.

I have never had to adjust the truss rod or saddle. It has low action and it doesn't buzz. They are very well built, but it is lighter than my Taylor. I haven't babied it other than keeping it in it's case when not being played. It has been an excellent guitar and it just sounds better and better over the years.

Yairi has a limited run Masterworks series made of Honduran Mahogany that they came out with a few years ago. They found the Mahogany stashed at the factory and it has been aging for over 50 years. They have a dreadnaught model and a folk model...I would be looking out for one of those if I were in the market for another new guitar.

Good luck on your search.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:29 PM

I just played an Alvarez Yairi dy59 that was really great sounding and felt
awesome.
the only problem was that is was really beat up and it had a split
so no go on that one, but I really like Yairi guitars
dave
Old 01-22-2020, 12:47 PM

Most remarkable were the bowl-back OY-80 and OY-88, some of the holy grails of Japanese lutherie for sure:

Old 01-22-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
.... Some years they had DY51, 52, 53, 54, 57, 59, 60, 62, 70, 71, 77, 78, 87, 88, 90, 92 and probably a few more mixed in that I'm forgetting—all with different appointments. DY68 and 76 were 12 string models. ....
Thanks to all who have contributed so far but to Duke...........

You can see my dilemma from just this snippet of what Duke posted above. This is already a lot to absorb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Most remarkable were the bowl-back OY-80 and OY-88, some of the holy grails of Japanese lutherie for sure:
Merlin, maybe you can tell me why an ovation-esque Yiari would be one of the holy grails......? It is interesting looking for sure but is there something about these that make them better guitars?
Old 01-22-2020, 03:55 PM

Super cool. Never seen one of those.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:08 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
I own a 1990 DY77 that I bought new and I will never sell it. I have promised to will it to my buddy that also has a Yairi….he's the one that turned me on to them.

I have never had to adjust the truss rod or saddle. It has low action and it doesn't buzz. They are very well built, but it is lighter than my Taylor. I haven't babied it other than keeping it in it's case when not being played. It has been an excellent guitar and it just sounds better and better over the years.

Yairi has a limited run Masterworks series made of Honduran Mahogany that they came out with a few years ago. They found the Mahogany stashed at the factory and it has been aging for over 50 years. They have a dreadnaught model and a folk model...I would be looking out for one of those if I were in the market for another new guitar.

Good luck on your search.
I saw the title of this thread and knew I would see a response from you!
Former AGF Moderator
Old 01-22-2020, 05:12 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
I'm interested in checking out K. Yairi guitars but don't seem to find any comprehensive information on the various (many, many) models that were made over the years. I want to look at, and play, as many different models as possible but don't know which models are better than others in regards to quality. Can some of our K. Yairi enthusiasts shed some light on what models are his best? I believe "M" in the model name, such as DYM, indicates Masterworks models but there are a lot of others to cull through.
Thanks in advance.
Hi Steve, I probably cannot answer your specific question - however will add a comment to attest to their extremely high quality and innovation. My Kazuo Yairi, which I've owned for 42 years, has been king guitar in my stable, even when I used Gibson acoustics extensively. Again, I know this doesn't address your question, but rest assured Kazuo Yairi instruments are very, very high quality.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 01-22-2020, 07:46 PM

Hi Steve. I can't claim to be a Yairi authority, but I own one so I'll share what I know. This year I bought a damaged Yairi LO-100 and repaired it. For the details, search the forum for title only, Yairi LO-100. A full description is there as well as pics. I'm told that this is an Asian market guitar, not sold in North America. The maker's label says K. Yairi, 1994. This was apparently an artist series, around $2000 US when new. It is solid Indian rosewood with sitka spruce top and is a very solid, sturdy, well-made guitar. The neck is straight, thin and very playable, the action low, and the tone is very sweet, balanced and clear. I love it.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
And the Yairi's made in Japan for the Japanese market that do occasionally make it state-side.[/url].
This is true

Fabulous bang for the buck and a keeper in a collection among good company.

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 01-22-2020, 09:01 PM

There is a LOT of info about K Yairi built guitars on the internet.
I found any number of sites that had very useful information.
For example, my Alvarez Yairi is Model 57, which the company nicknamed the "Winchester".
It was clearly an attempt to knock off the Martin D-18.
I'll probably never part with mine - I enjoy playing it that much and I don't care about the scars from being played for all those years before I even got it.
1977 Alvarez Yairi DY 57 / 2002 Martin DC-1E/ 2010 The Loar LH-700-VS/ 2012 Taylor Mini GS / 2015 Taylor 150e / 2015 Taylor 324ce SEB / 2018 Taylor 214e DLX / 2020 Taylor AD12e / 2021 Gibson J-185ce / 2022 Martin 000-15M
... and some electrics and such.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:34 AM

I have a rag 65 made in 2008.
It is a slot - head parlour with a cedar top and African mahogany back and sides.
Even though it is small it sounds like a piano.
They seem to be scarce,and I will never part with it .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion