The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2020, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Boucher?

Just curious...who owns or has played a Boucher dread. In particular the "Studio Goose", which seems to be less popular than the Bluegrass Goose model. I can't find a negative comment about them but thought I'd ask the forum for your input. As always...many thanks!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-22-2020, 11:29 AM

I play fingerstyle.
I once owned and played a Wild Goose dread, as I once owned and played an OM too.
Neck a bit chunky for me. Found them overall ok. Now overpriced.
Sold the dread to a country singer, while the OM went to UK.
I prefer my more affordable Larrivees L-03koa and OM-09, and thinner Taylors.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:52 PM

A local store, Brickhouse guitars also recently started stocking Bouchers.

I played one with Torrefied spruce and rosewood, and I thought it was fantastic for fingerstyle. Had the rich loud tone I crave. I was in that day to pick up a Furch guitar I ordered though hehe.

Either way, they do make great sounding guitars. bit traditionally made in my opinion, but still good instruments. I encourage you to check the brickhouse website for audio demos on whatever they carry.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:00 PM

Unreal guitars. Some of the best acoustics I have played in some time. I wouldn't say the Studio Goose is less popular. I see just as many of those as I do the bluegrass model. I have played about ten Boucher guitars and could have bought any one of them. I am currently deciding between an OM and/or dread SG model. To me they are kind of a cross between a Martin and Larrivee in terms of overall bass, projection and balance.

The comment about them being overpriced is a bit of an odd one considering you get Adirondack spruce tops without a hype in price. Here in Canada you can get one new for $3500 and that's pretty amazing considering most Taylor guitars with similar features are well over $4000.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
A local store, Brickhouse guitars also recently started stocking Bouchers.

I played one with Torrefied spruce and rosewood, and I thought it was fantastic for fingerstyle. Had the rich loud tone I crave. I was in that day to pick up a Furch guitar I ordered though hehe.

Either way, they do make great sounding guitars. bit traditionally made in my opinion, but still good instruments. I encourage you to check the brickhouse website for audio demos on whatever they carry.
A bunch of Ontario dealers have picked them up now: The Arts in Newmarket, Twelfth Fret in Toronto, Acoustic Room in Hamilton etc. They are really taking off as a company now. Tony P who used to do demos for the Acoustic Letter, has reviewed a couple and he has some amazing acoustics in his collection. He couldn't say enough good things about Boucher.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:23 PM

I did a few demos for Sound Pure a few years ago. I have also played quite a few at the Boucher booth each year at IBMA. I think they are really good guitars, and I always enjoy talking to Robin.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Shadd View Post
I did a few demos for Sound Pure a few years ago. I have also played quite a few at the Boucher booth each year at IBMA. I think they are really good guitars, and I always enjoy talking to Robin.
Thanks Allen...I listened to your videos for Boucher/Soundpure. Great playing as always...you could make any guitar sound great. I appreciate your input.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-29-2020, 12:11 PM

Talking Yes they are great!

I own 2 of them: 2016 Bluegrass Goose Master Flamed Bubinga Dreadnought, and a Patrick Norman Signature model 2016 as well. The new generation (2015 and later) is far superior in terms of consistency. I’ve owned many brands in my life (Guild, Martin, Gibson, Huss and Dalton, Taylor) these are the best dreadnoughts i’ve had the pleasure of playing.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:08 PM

Their build quality is absolutely superb, and their sound matches or exceeds that. I was told by a dealer that many people come into their shop looking for a Collings and end up leaving with a Boucher. Their quality is on par. I share that opinion, so I can see why some take the Boucher for a lot less money.

They can, however, get very expensive very fast once you start to option them out with the different upgrade packs they have.

Listen to this Boucher dread in this video compared to a Martin and a Furch if you haven’t seen it already. It is a beast. To my ears it wipes the table with the Martin and the Furch. Based on this video I know where my money would be going —>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_puIWsSEs0
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-07-2020, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Boucher BG-52 - Unicorn guitar?

I have been all over the map as to what i've wanted - I came across the Boucher BG-52 tonight - watching every video I could and... holy sh*t - I cannot find a video that doesnt leave me dumbfounded.

I want.. this guitar.

Anybody here have any incite or experience with this guitar? The only other one in the demo's that sounded as good was the Martin HD-28 - But the Aged Adirondack top on the Boucher has me leaning towards it.

I know $3000 is a lot to pay for a guitar but im nearing my end of the journey right now - An eastman E20-D or a recording king RD-328, a breedlove Premier Adirondack \ Rosewood concert and the crown jewel being possibly this Boucher BG-52.

I guess with the quality of this boucher - I might be able to skip the breedlove and the eastman and save exclusivley for the Boucher?

Anybody have any advice on the Boucher BG-52? Tony Polecastro turned me onto the idea as a rival to the D-28, which sound really good too.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 05-08-2020, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodry View Post
I have been all over the map as to what i've wanted - I came across the Boucher BG-52 tonight - watching every video I could and... holy sh*t - I cannot find a video that doesnt leave me dumbfounded.

I want.. this guitar.

Anybody here have any incite or experience with this guitar? The only other one in the demo's that sounded as good was the Martin HD-28 - But the Aged Adirondack top on the Boucher has me leaning towards it.

I know $3000 is a lot to pay for a guitar but im nearing my end of the journey right now - An eastman E20-D or a recording king RD-328, a breedlove Premier Adirondack \ Rosewood concert and the crown jewel being possibly this Boucher BG-52.

I guess with the quality of this boucher - I might be able to skip the breedlove and the eastman and save exclusivley for the Boucher?

Anybody have any advice on the Boucher BG-52? Tony Polecastro turned me onto the idea as a rival to the D-28, which sound really good too.

Thanks for the advice guys!
2 words

Do it

You will not be sorry.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-08-2020, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Where to play one?

I fully intend to.

I checked their website and it appears they only have like 5 stores in the US.

Has everybody bought their's site unseen? I cant find anywhere remotely near me that carries the brand or at least according to the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
2 words

Do it

You will not be sorry.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Their build quality is absolutely superb, and their sound matches or exceeds that. I was told by a dealer that many people come into their shop looking for a Collings and end up leaving with a Boucher. Their quality is on par. I share that opinion, so I can see why some take the Boucher for a lot less money.

They can, however, get very expensive very fast once you start to option them out with the different upgrade packs they have.

Listen to this Boucher dread in this video compared to a Martin and a Furch if you haven’t seen it already. It is a beast. To my ears it wipes the table with the Martin and the Furch. Based on this video I know where my money would be going —>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_puIWsSEs0
Thanks for the video comparison.
I liked the Furch. The Boucher was too bassy from top to bottom for me.
It is a beast, but to me not in a good way. I’m a singer and it just wouldn’t work for me.
I thought the Furch had a strong Gibson vibe which I like.
The HD28 reminded me why I chose a D18 over it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-09-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Thanks for the video comparison.
I liked the Furch. The Boucher was too bassy from top to bottom for me.
It is a beast, but to me not in a good way. I’m a singer and it just wouldn’t work for me.
I thought the Furch had a strong Gibson vibe which I like.
The HD28 reminded me why I chose a D18 over it.
You need to hear a Boucher in person. One of my complaints with Martin guitars is that they often have a warm tone that's a bit too bassy so without brand new strings, they lack clarity. Boucher guiars manage to have this impressive bass but with excellent clarity. Honestly, ever since trying Boucher, I no longer desire to own another brand.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

A killer dread with a 1 11/16 nut and a AAAA Adi top. Wow. I think I found my next guitar
Been listening to all the vids I can find with the Boucher BG-52 and I have not heard anything that comes as close to the sound I want.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion