The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-29-2019, 03:12 PM

Default Gibson G-45

Anyone here bought one of the Gibson G-45 guitars? I played one today at guitar center and thought it was light years ahead of other guitars in its price range and it is apparently a big seller for Gibson.My friend who is the manager at the guitar center said they have most of them sold before they get them in and they are easily the best selling guitar they have in the $800 to $1200 range
Old 12-29-2019, 03:16 PM

I had one briefly. It was an impressive guitar for the money but not really what I was looking for, I wanted a distinctly high end guitar but just didn't want to cough up high end prices. I ended up getting a bargain on an OM21 and I am happy.

Old 01-21-2020, 02:31 PM

They play real nice.

Last edited by JackB1; 01-22-2020 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RILEY31 View Post
Anyone here bought one of the Gibson G-45 guitars? I played one today at guitar center and thought it was light years ahead of other guitars in its price range and it is apparently a big seller for Gibson.My friend who is the manager at the guitar center said they have most of them sold before they get them in and they are easily the best selling guitar they have in the $800 to $1200 range
I picked up a Standard a couple of weeks ago and took it straight to a gig. I love this guitar. I perform solo as a "songster" performing songs in the Carter Family and Jimmy Rogers style. I perform in a band holding down country swing and rockabilly rythym. This thing is bloody perfect. In my life with guitars it's always "the one" until the next one comes along. But I dont know. I thought my 000-15 was my "excalibur". ..this one might be my "June Carter", my life partner after years in the guitar churning wilderness. In fact, in writing this post, I think I've named this thing "June" and I'm not someone who goes around naming my things.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:34 PM

Funny but Gibson's budget guitars really seem to enjoy a sterling reputation. The short-lived Workingman Series has become darn near legendary.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:34 AM

Agree. The J-15 is another great one for a few hundred more than the G45

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Funny but Gibson's budget guitars really seem to enjoy a sterling reputation. The short-lived Workingman Series has become darn near legendary.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
And they continue to creep up in value, even if not commanding what the J-series counterparts sell for. There were less compromises on the WM series, though. Same all-solid wood specs from top, b&s and, same bracing/voicing and same body molds. With the G series we're looking at different physical dimensions in terms of body depth. Different bracing (non-scalloped) and alternative wood choices (Walnut for B&S) truthfully, the G45 should probably be named G15 given the Spruce + Walnut combo but branding it 45 helps them sell more guitars.

All that said, I really like the G series for the reasons others have said. Gibson has done a great job with these instruments for the price and although a G45 sounds nothing like a J45 it has a punchy tone. It's a louder more compressed sound that has me strongly considering adding one to my slope shoulder collection. The only thing not pro-grade on them would be the pickup system. I think Gibson should reduce cost a bit and just sell the G series without electronics, or add a no-electronics model and make the model with electronics feature the same LR Baggs pickup common to the other standard series models adding a bit of a premium cost for the nicer pickup. The Fishman Sonitone is just one of the worst.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion