The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 AM

Default 1990's Regal Resonator

I'm thinking about buying a 1990's Regal Resonator. Does anything know anything about this particular model... quality, good, bad, etc. Here is the
ad http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/2813459535.html He has it listed for $400 for the guitar w/pickup installed, and hard shell case. I'm paying less than $400 for it though. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:16 AM

The model is a RD-45S
Old 01-25-2012, 11:09 AM

I assume on Craigs list you'll have chance to play it first. With resonators you want to check for buzzs and rattles. I've played 2 of that model, both squareneck. Can't comment on the tone because I'm not a spider/dobro type fan, I'm more the National tricone kind of guy. But one was brutally loud, and the other wasn't. But even the quieter one had impressive volume. I think they went for under $500 originially. So it really depends on the condition, the setup (even with a square neck the saddle and nut matter for tone), and quality of the pickup to say whether or not you're getting a deal.

The good news is that with a square neck, the quality doesn't really matter that much in terms of playability. You can take a $100 POS and it will play well. Tone can always be improved with small tweaks as time goes by.

For me, if I wanted a spider bridge, with the pickup, and case, I'd go for it if everything checks out.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:18 PM

The guy says its a K&K pickup... I'm not familiar with them?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimblefingers View Post
The guy says its a K&K pickup... I'm not familiar with them?
They're right up there. Top 4 in my opinion. Like I said, with a pickup and case, it sounds well worth it.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:48 PM

Thank you very much for the help. I'm going to meet him tomorrow and buy it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments