The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-29-2019, 04:41 AM

Default Dobro slide tuning ideas

A few weeks ago I managed to fall down the stairs during a hurricane, and ended up with a broken neck and 6 broken ribs. Healing is progressing but I have hopefully temporary nerve damage in my left hand from the broken neck that means I can't fret a guitar. So I got my 1935 Dobro Model 25 out, which I normally play bottleneck style, and tried it with a slide, lap style. Working out a treat, having fun.

I normally tune it to Dobro low G - DGDGBD. I wanted to get a straight forward minor chord, so I modified that tuning to EGDGBD, which gives me minor 7th chords with the 6th string E as the root, and major chords with the fifth string G as the root. I can't figure out a chord type with the fourth string D as the root, but it is great as an alternating 5th for major chords with the root on the G string. Playing single note stuff - blues and melodies, mostly - is great because this is really a very slight modification from normal guitar tuning, just the fifth string G and the first string D lowered a full tone, so my fretboard instincts seem to be working for me. Any advice on how to get the most out of a tuning like this?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write