The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2019, 12:57 PM

I suspected as much. I doubt anyone took offense and no apology should be necessary.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I will never be the player I could be because I lack the physical ability to wrap my thumb over the top of the fretboard.

It feels good tho say it in public but it makes me sad nonetheless...
Good thing no one told those classical players, huh?
Old 05-04-2019, 04:06 PM

So, was somebody saying "Oh, you're not a real guitar player if you don't use your thumb to fret!" ?

I mean, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were the case, because goodness knows there are plenty of people around who enjoy laying down the law --"You're not a real [whatever] if you don't [do whatever]" (or "... if you do [do whatever])."

But if somebody did say that (recently, anyway) I missed it. (Which is fine with me.)

Last edited by frankmcr; 05-04-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdon View Post
Love the pic of Mr. Holdsworth, what a sublime player !
I'm friends with a guy who lived for a while in England right down the road from Holdsworth when he lived in England, and was personal friends with him. So when he would come through on a tour, I would get the chance to hang out backstage with Allan in between sets. One minute i'd be watching him playing otherworldly solos, and the next minute i'd be drinking beer with him. He was a very humble guy. If you didn't know him, you would never have guessed that he was such an extraordinary guitarist.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion