The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-26-2019, 10:51 PM

I own a Fender Mustang and a Roland Cube but I've got my eye on a Fender Blues Junior so I can enjoy the best of solid state and tube amp worlds.

Irrespective of what your preference is, I believe solid state amps are more practical for home use plus they're cheaper.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
I own three nice hand wired tube amps.

I guess I'm missing out.
If you say so. Or you could try actually finding out if you do, or not.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-27-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
If you say so. Or you could try actually finding out if you do, or not.
Not sure what you are trying to say, LOL.

I've been playing for 40 years and have owned all kinds of amps, BTW, including modelers.

How many different ones do I need to try before it's ok for me to make my own decision on what I like?
Old 05-27-2019, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I've been playing for 40 years and have owned all kinds of amps, BTW, including modelers.

How many different ones do I need to try before it's ok for me to make my own decision on what I like?
Well once again making comment and suggestion with no actual reference of history or context is always risky.

While I think there is no question that solid state is a viable alternative to tube for a number of reasons, even if all out tone is not one of them . But the video while is interesting, is not really very informative as far as an actual A/B comparison test.

Yes it's a blind test BUT unfortunately the pretty validity ends there. I think the only thing it possibly proved was something they (brought up in the video ) and then proceeded to ignore . That is the tendency is to prefer the amp that is closest to your ear .And indeed it ended up being the one close Lee.s ear that he preferred .

So there is that then there is the fact that for any A/B test even remotely valid blind or otherwise the least amount of variables needs to be in play . they unfortunately had a bund of variables in play some needless.

Which the reduction of variable would mean level matching output, and certainly would mean not having any effects like reverb going on, on any amps and definitely not have reverb going only on some.
Also the amount of time they took playing each one and then to switch to the next one as far to long Lee even states he doesn't like it when there is more than 10 seconds between switching amps , then proceeds to spend about 3 or 4 minutes on each amp before switching
Then there is the variable of each amp being played with a different performance and him switching pickups willy nilly and switching in the overdrive etc.etc.etc. There is just so much invalid in the method used as to be virtually useless as an actual comparison tool .........juss sayin'

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-27-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well once again making comment and suggestion with no actual reference of history or context is always risky.

While I think there is no question that solid state is a viable alternative to tube for a number of reasons, even if all out tone is not one of them . But the video while is interesting, is not really very informative as far as an actual A/B comparison test.

Yes it's a blind test BUT unfortunately the pretty validity ends there. I think the only thing it possibly proved was something they (brought up in the video ) and then proceeded to ignore . That is the tendency is to prefer the amp that is closest to your ear .And indeed it ended up being the one close Lee.s ear that he preferred .

So there is that then there is the fact that for any A/B test even remotely valid blind or otherwise the least amount of variables needs to be in play . they unfortunately had a bund of variables in play some needless.

Which the reduction of variable would mean level matching output, and certainly would mean not having any effects like reverb going on, on any amps and definitely not have reverb going only on some.
Also the amount of time they took playing each one and then to switch to the next one as far to long Lee even states he doesn't like it when there is more than 10 seconds between switching amps , then proceeds to spend about 3 or 4 minutes on each amp before switching
Then there is the variable of each amp being played with a different performance and him switching pickups willy nilly and switching in the overdrive etc.etc.etc. There is just so much invalid in the method used as to be virtually useless as an actual comparison tool .........juss sayin'
Uh...OK. Too much happy hour before you wrote this, maybe?
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat

Last edited by Jerry D; 05-27-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:

My point exactly. Make up your own mind. Preaching rarely converts anyone, one way or the other.

I'm allergic to modelers, just on principle, but have found analog SS and tube amps that I like.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-28-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:

thats easy, you need to order 55 tube amps from 5-50watt, 35 clean SS amps up to 100watt, 10 original modelers and 25 with the latest digital effects, and at least 10 hybrids for a true comparison, only thing is, you may need to throw your sofa and end tables in the yard to make room for 135 amps- hope this helps- LOL
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 05-28-2019, 06:27 AM

You can pull the tubes out of my cold dead hands.

Unless it's a JC120. I'll play through one of those any day.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Uh...OK. Too much happy hour before you wrote this, maybe?
Opppssss, since I don't drink can't claim that excuse
Definitely some weird word structure. Although "something they brought up and then proceeded to ignore" works in this part of the world, as does "definitely not have reverb going on only some"

I was watching TV while posting, guess multi-tasking is not my forte
OK sentence structure lacking, but the meaning of content is applicable .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 05-28-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
My point exactly. Make up your own mind. Preaching rarely converts anyone, one way or the other.

I'm allergic to modelers, just on principle, but have found analog SS and tube amps that I like.
Agreed, I just like guitars and amps. The modeler I had was a Johnson J-station. I had a blast with it at the time, but it is long gone. And I have no negative issues with SS.

My current two electrics and three tube amps were chosen for the classic sounds they offer. They aren't any better than other tube amps or SS amps. They are just what I want.

And the guys at Andertons are cool and I like them, but I grew tired of their videos long, long ago.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

And the guys at Andertons are cool and I like them, but I grew tired of their videos long, long ago.
If you have not seen this video it is not only their most viewed over 2.5 million views But possibly the funniest one I have seen

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-28-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
thats easy, you need to order 55 tube amps from 5-50watt, 35 clean SS amps up to 100watt, 10 original modelers and 25 with the latest digital effects, and at least 10 hybrids for a true comparison, only thing is, you may need to throw your sofa and end tables in the yard to make room for 135 amps- hope this helps- LOL
Don't tempt me.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
If you have not seen this video it is not only their most viewed over 2.5 million views But possibly the funniest one I have seen
Thanks, Kev, yes that was funny.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:20 PM

I was surprised the guy in the video picked the amp he did. I thought the other ones sounded better.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Opps Ill try again

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars