The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 10:10 AM
Guest 33123

Default your instrument journey and current point along the path

I spent some time remembering all the instruments that have passed through my hands over the years. Quite a few but not really that much for 33 years of playing. I came up with this list (not including a pile of pedals, pro audio and recording gear):
  1. Birth
  2. 13 years wasted not making music
  3. Sears Silvertone P-bass copy (candy apple red) – new
  4. Radio Shack amp - new
  5. El Degas Les Paul Custom copy (white with maple fingerboard) - used
  6. Ross guitar amp - new
  7. Cort P-bass copy (white) - new
  8. Ibanez Musician bass (cream sparkle) - used
  9. Phoenix Strat copy (black) - used
  10. Fender American Standard Tele (sunburst) - new
  11. Fender American Standard Strat (sunburst) - new
  12. Marshall JCM-900 100w half stack - new
  13. Fender 800SX – new
  14. Yamaha BB bass (red) - used
  15. Gibson ES-335 dot (cherry red) - new
  16. Mesa/Boogie Studio Caliber – new
  17. Martin 000-28EC - new
  18. Martin 000-18MC - new
  19. Gibson J-100Xtra - new
  20. Gibson J-50 - used
  21. Martin 000-28VS - new
  22. Gibson J-45 Standard – new
  23. Fender Acoustic SFX – new
  24. Gibson 1928 L-1 Blues Tribute - new

All that remains:

2003 Martin 000-18MC, 2008 Martin 000-28VS, 2012 Gibson J-45 Standard, 2015 Gibson 1928 L-1 Blues Tribute and Fender Acoustic SFX amp

GAS is always present and I am guilty of looking and plotting at times. I have resisted though. In fact I haven't bought, sold or traded a single piece of gear for myself in 2+ years. I have bought gear for my son though but that doesn't count right?

What's your instrument journey and can you post a pick of where you are at now?
Old 08-13-2018, 11:19 AM

It is interesting where you are NOW. We all get GAS. You have a current great mix of gits.

Food for thought... It is a lot easier taking care of a smaller group like yours. Hydrating, adjusting, experimenting with strings, saddles,etc.

Unless, of course, you have your own guitar tech, lol.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

I have been a hot mess...so, let's start there!

Several months ago, I sold all my guitars and went down to one. The Santa Cruz OM in the attached photo. I grew tired of all the buying/selling/GAS-ing and just wanted to simplify and do what I love....play guitar.

Unfortunately, after a couple of months I realized that I was not getting along with the SC neck profile. Mind you, the tone was everything I had hunted for and more but, the neck was giving me trouble. I was heartbroken.

So, I "fixed" the issue and traded the OM in for the Collings you see in the picture. And, just a sweet, wonderful tone in this one. Could not be happier.

Yet, the tone from the SC haunted me...I could not get it out of my head. I played it every time I went into the shop where I traded it. People would stop and say, "wow...that sounds amazing." That never happens for me! I knew they were right and ultimately, I bought the guitar back. I realized it was too soon for me to have traded it in. The neck is still a bit much for me but, I no longer miss the tone because it lives with me, again. The guitar gets played....not as much as the others but, I can give it some time and when I do, I smile ear to ear.

Then there is the 00-18. I bought this because it sounds great and gives my shoulder a break. Plus, the 00 is really easy for me to travel with. I have always loved the Martin 00-18 and this one is no exception.

Eventually, I will go back down to one, maybe two. For now, my collection went back up after my commitment to go to one but, I am in a really good place with GAS. Anything I think about adding is simply "to test for a period of time." For me, I have the best examples of the trio I could hope for.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:55 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
It is interesting where you are NOW. We all get GAS. You have a current great mix of gits.

Food for thought... It is a lot easier taking care of a smaller group like yours. Hydrating, adjusting, experimenting with strings, saddles,etc.

Unless, of course, you have your own guitar tech, lol.
Thanks Paddy. Honestly I often think I should just own 2 guitars but I figure with this current mix I'd wind up with some serious seller remorse if I let some go. For me these 4 guitars represent some of the holy grails of acoustics and it's taken me quite a while to assemble fine sounding examples of each. I do find it's a bit difficult maintaining, setting up and restringing this many guitars though but I have learned the skills needed to do so on my own (with the exception of nut work but I'm buying a set of nut files soon).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
I have been a hot mess...so, let's start there!

Several months ago, I sold all my guitars and went down to one. The Santa Cruz OM in the attached photo. I grew tired of all the buying/selling/GAS-ing and just wanted to simplify and do what I love....play guitar.

Unfortunately, after a couple of months I realized that I was not getting along with the SC neck profile. Mind you, the tone was everything I had hunted for and more but, the neck was giving me trouble. I was heartbroken.

So, I "fixed" the issue and traded the OM in for the Collings you see in the picture. And, just a sweet, wonderful tone in this one. Could not be happier.

Yet, the tone from the SC haunted me...I could not get it out of my head. I played it every time I went into the shop where I traded it. People would stop and say, "wow...that sounds amazing." That never happens for me! I knew they were right and ultimately, I bought the guitar back. I realized it was too soon for me to have traded it in. The neck is still a bit much for me but, I no longer miss the tone because it lives with me, again. The guitar gets played....not as much as the others but, I can give it some time and when I do, I smile ear to ear.

Then there is the 00-18. I bought this because it sounds great and gives my shoulder a break. Plus, the 00 is really easy for me to travel with. I have always loved the Martin 00-18 and this one is no exception.

Eventually, I will go back down to one, maybe two. For now, my collection went back up after my commitment to go to one but, I am in a really good place with GAS. Anything I think about adding is simply "to test for a period of time." For me, I have the best examples of the trio I could hope for.
Man that's a sweet lineup of guitars! Always wanted a SC after getting the shop tour from Richard Hoover.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:52 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Didn’t start playing until I retired in my mid-60s. That was about 4 1/2 years ago. I’ve cycled through mucho guitars (see below) as my skill level and style have evolved. At one point had six guitars...but am delighted to now be down to these two fantastic lifers.

Martin D-28*
Taylor 214
Taylor 814*
Guild F-130ce (GAD)
Gibson J-15
Yamaha FG-130
Gibson J-45*
Gibson Songwriter Studio Deluxe
Guild D-1212 (GAD)
Martin CEO-7
Taylor 712e 12-fret
Taylor 812e 12-fret
Martin D-18
Recording King 06 12-fret
Martin D-28 (2017)**
Gibson J-45 (2018)**
Martin D-41 (2018)

*Owned for a year or more
**Bought same model twice

Old 08-13-2018, 02:59 PM

Hey Doug, nice collection. I noticed the Fender SFX amp. How do you like it as I;m also looking at one.

Dan
Old 08-13-2018, 03:51 PM

Interesting title that instantly drew me in. I would not attempt to mentally reconcile the number of guitars I’ve owned over the years. But I think the path this has taken me is interesting, at least to me. I have owned factory guitars, boutique guitars, and bespoke guitars. The last three of the latter are currently for sale. Those would be a Petros and two Claxtons. My collecting lead me to having as many as 11 custom luthier built guitars at one time. My sole remaining steel string however, is a Lowden Pierre Bensusan Signature. It suits my playing style very well, and is perhaps “more forgiving” in a desert environment. It is also helping me become a better guitar player, rather than a collector who happens to play.

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 08-13-2018, 05:36 PM

Over my 25 + years of playing, my acoustic guitars are few enough to list. 1) Samick dread-sold. 2) D-28-traded in. 3) OOOC-16 RGTE that I no longer play but I’m 50/50 on selling or keeping for my daughter. 4) D-18GE that I bought used and thought I’d own for life until #5 arrived. 5) Custom HD-28.

The HD-28 has a modified V neck with a bit more beef to it in the shoulders than the D-18 GE neck has, and it has a bridge string spacing of 2 1/4” compared to the GE which is slightly wider. The more I play the HD-28 the more I wish my 18GE had those specs. We’ll see what happens. Haha.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:46 PM

1960's Gretch Two Tone Green single cut, single hum, Bigsby first guitar
Gibson J-60
Gibson ES-335 DOT
Gibson Nighthawk
Custom USA Fender Strat
PRS 24
Rickenbacker V360 12
Martin Custom OM Special
Taylor BTO GC Maple, Sitka
Taylor BTO GC All Hog
Breedlove custom all hog parlor 14 fret
Martin EC Burst
Collings 01 walnut, German
Martin, Custom Shop NAMM 16 0-14
Old 08-13-2018, 05:51 PM

After a laundry list of guitars bought and divested I'm down to one guitar, one amp and 2 microphones and stands.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

I started off with a garbage, no-name acoustic in 1992 that had terrible action. I switched to electric pretty soon thereafter and played a Squier Strat pretty happily for years until internet discussion forums ruined me forever.

1) No name garbage acoustic
2) Korean Squier Stratocaster (lost by a college friend some 10 years later)
3) La Patrie acoustic, somewhat less garbage-y. I still have it.
4) Rickenbacker 650 D
5) Rickenbacker 620/12
6) Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
7) Fender American Series Strat
8) Gibson SG Classic
9) Gibson 56 Historic Les Paul
10) Gibson 61 SG RI
11) Gibson 58 Historic Les Paul
12) Fender Eric Johnson Strat
13) Gibson 59 Historic Les Paul
14) Gibson 56 Historic Les Paul Tobacco Burst
15) Fender CIJ Telecaster
16) Historic SG Special
17) Historic SG Standard with Maestro tremolo
18) Goodall Standard (my first high quality acoustic)
19) Mustapick Arena multi-scale (my first commission)
20) Goodall RGCSS
21) Fender Custom Classic Telecaster
22) Kraut Modified Dread
23) Kostal Modified Dread
24) Brondel Honeycaster SC (sonic blue)
25) Brondel Honeycaster DC (Lake Placid blue)
26) Montuoro 000-12
27) Brondel A-2c Essential (adi/hog) (I'm an idiot!!!)
28) Fender CS 62 Relic Tele
29) Gibson Historic SG Standard
30) Squier Vintage Modified 70s Strat
31) Schoenber/Klepper 000-12c
32) Baranik Meridian
33) Baranik PX
34) Brondel A-2c (carp/madrose)
35) Circa OMc (adi/madrose)

36) Brondel Honeycaster SC (blonde)
37) Fender CS Custom Deluxe Strat
38) Gibson Historic SG Special
39) New Era Maurer (on the way)

I only have the bold guitars. I have discovered I love SGs, Strats, and Teles for electric. As far as acoustics go, my tastes have made a clear turn for the golden era sounds of Martin or builders who are inspired by those guitars.

I have two guitars on the way from Circa, one from Brondel, one from LeGeyt, an acoustic from Baranik, and an electric from Baranik.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:20 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by D41Fan View Post
Hey Doug, nice collection. I noticed the Fender SFX amp. How do you like it as I;m also looking at one.

Dan
Hi Dan,

I feel the SFX is a good home amp but probably not powerful enough for a good sized stage and certainly not for a loud band. Tone shaping is pretty weak. I'd recommend a preamp in front of it. I use the Baggs ParaDI. Good 3D kind of sound and great looks. Quite a bit of hum/buzz at high volumes. If I could do it over I'd probably look at alternatives or no amp at all. Nice to have in general but I just don't play electrified much.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:22 PM

1. Started playing at 10 years old with a Fender Squire Dread.
2. Quit at 11 because I wanted to focus on violin. (Middle School)
3. Started playing again at 15
4. Now at 17, went all out and bought a Taylor
Old 08-13-2018, 06:39 PM

Here's my guitar journey - for an instrument journey I'd need to include drum kits, tenor banjos, mandolins and tenor guitars. My very first guitar was a crappy kid size classical at 9 years old, but it was more of a "guitar shaped object", so I don't count it. I started playing in earnest at 11 years old, so I've got about 30 years of playing under my belt - would've been 40 years if I hadn't had a 10 year lay off. Only one I still have is the '69 Martin 00-18:

**Wanted to add that barring the Takamine dread all of these guitars were used in bands, playing loads of gigs and recording - I am far from a wealthy person, grew up working class and still am. I've sometimes done crazy things to be able to afford a nice guitar - sold literally all my other belongings (including furniture!), lived on toast for six months, worked 4 jobs in addition to being a working musician, no regrets!

ACOUSTIC GUITARS:

1980 Takamine Dreadnaught all maple (dashed to the music shop after school to buy this, later that evening heard on the radio that John Lennon had been shot)
1974 Guild D-40
1970’s Yamaha FG-160 (Nippon Gakki)
1960’s Yamaha FG -75(Nippon Gakki)
1958 Gibson J-50
1992 Taylor 712
2000’s Marc Benateau Concert model
2000’s Legend Guitar Co. MJ
1990’s Martin M-36
2009 Breedlove Revival Deluxe OM-M
1969 Martin 00-18

ELECTRIC GUITARS:

1960’s Epiphone Coronet (sold my bicycle and bought this at the pawnshop when I was 11 years old)
1974 Gibson SG Standard
1968 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe (gold top)
1980 Fender “The Strat” Stratocaster
1962 Gretsch Nashville (saw a classified ad for it in the back of an issue of NME, sold EVERYTHING - the Strat above it, furniture, records, my camera to buy it.)
1968 Fender Telecaster
1988 Fender Stratocaster (MIJ)
1988 Fender Jazzmaster (MIJ)
1979 Fender Stratocaster (hardtail)
1960’s Kay Barney Kessel
1960’s Burns Split-Sonic
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1979 Gibson SG Standard
1972 Fender Telecaster
1986 Gordon Smith GS-1
1968 SG Custom
1986 Gibson Les Paul Studio
1977 Gibson SG Standard
1965 Gibson SG Jr.
1986 Rickenbacker 330
1967 Gibson Trini Lopez
1989 Rickenbacker 381
1989 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
1989 Fender Stratocaster
2002 G&L BluesBoy
1968 Fender Telecaster

Last edited by packmule; 08-14-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:37 PM

Wow what cool thread! So here’s mine.

It starts in 6th grade 1972 when my parents buy me a $50 strat knock off and a Sears Silvertone 100 watt head and 2x12 cabinet from a classmates older brother. I learn to play guitar through several lessons and a Catholic Folk Mass group. This lasts until 7th grade. I trash the amp and then with $350 borrowed from my dad I buy an Acoustic 135 2x12 amp. Loud as hell, what a great amp. I am now playing in a garage band and my mom and dad buy me a 1972 Tele, chocolate brown, dual humbuckers, amp knob maple neck and fingerboard.

So as my playing skills get better and puberty kicks in in earnest I decide that finger picking, folk songs and acoustic guitars are a great girl magnet. So being young and stupid, I sell the tele and the amp and buy a Guild F112 12 string. After two months, the Bridge lifts and guitar is soooo hard to play. Not knowing what a luthier or a setup is I dump the Guild for an Angelica 12 string that gets stolen. Insurance gives me enough for an Ibanez AW40 a guitar I still have to this day. I played that Ibanez through high school, college and well in to adulthood.

I was privileged to have had some nice equipment at young age. Too bad I was too stupid to hang on to it.

Including the Ibanez I have had or have:

Ovation Balladeer 12 string
Yamaha FG412-12
Fender MIM Strat
Fender Hot Rod 52 Tele
McPhersen 4.5 Camrielle
Martin DC-Aura
PRS 24 2011 NAMM Special Edition
Martin OMC-35
LePatrie Classical
Godin A6 Ultra
Godin SA6
Taylor 114ce
Taylor 3 Series Baritone 2014 Spring Limited
Ephiphone Chet Atkins SST
Squire Mini Strat signed by Alice Cooper

Amps:

Fender Blues Deville
Fender Blues Junior
PRS SE 50 Head and 2x12 cabinet
VOX AC5 mini amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Fishman SA 330

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion