The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-12-2018, 10:56 AM

Default Any opinions on the Seagull SWS Marktime Mini Jumbo?

Have a chance at a good price on one locally, what is the consensus on these? Spruce top, solid hog back and sides, Indian rosewood fretboard and bridge. Was just wondering thoughts on tone/sound and playability compared to the Seagull dreds?
'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 08-12-2018, 12:03 PM

I love seagulls and I really love the mini jumbo shape they have. I actually haven’t played that particular wood combo but I’d imagine it would be pretty nice!

If it is possible, I would try to compare it to the mini jumbo with cedar top and laminate back and sides just to see how they compare. That may be hard as mini jumbos seem to be getting rare these days
Old 08-12-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruton View Post
I love seagulls and I really love the mini jumbo shape they have. I actually haven’t played that particular wood combo but I’d imagine it would be pretty nice!

If it is possible, I would try to compare it to the mini jumbo with cedar top and laminate back and sides just to see how they compare. That may be hard as mini jumbos seem to be getting rare these days
Also a Godin fan, I’ve owned quite a few different models they offer. Never a mini jumbo though. The price is almost scandalous for a solid wood guitar, makes me want to say yes. The hard part is I have to decide between that, or a Guild JF30-12....wife won’t say yes to both.
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 08-12-2018, 12:51 PM

Also, if anybody knows. The seller is claiming that it’s not an “SWS” model. I thought all the Maritime Seagulls were?
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special

Last edited by ParisStarlight; 08-12-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

I owned one of the last of these made before they were discontinued. All Maritime series guitars are solid wood (SWS = Solid Wood Series).

I loved the body shape and build, but couldn't bond with the tone, so I sold it. Seagull seems to have discontinued its MJ models in favor of their Concert Hall models (similar body style, but longer scale).
Old 08-12-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I owned one of the last of these made before they were discontinued. All Maritime series guitars are solid wood (SWS = Solid Wood Series).

I loved the body shape and build, but couldn't bond with the tone, so I sold it. Seagull seems to have discontinued its MJ models in favor of their Concert Hall models (similar body style, but longer scale).
I thought they were all the solid wood. I may pick it up. At the price it’s hard not to.

If you can remember what didn’t you like about the tone? What kind of playing do you do mostly? I’m looking for a strummer/flatpicker mostly. Was looking at a Jumbo body already...
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 08-12-2018, 06:34 PM

Paris, if you can play it before you buy, by all means go check it out. I've played a bunch of those and really liked most of them.

whm
Old 08-13-2018, 02:50 AM

I have just gotten myself a Seagull Maritime SWS Folk (solid spruce top/solid mahogany b/s) - also a discontinued model at a reasonable price. Very nice guitar IMO (or I wouldn't have bought it, obviously) - very nice balanced, both ergonomically and tone-wise, not loud, but just very nice and full. Easy to play, although the action is a bit high at the moment, however, there is room for adjustment, so no real problem there. Very nice guitar, recommended for sure.

Some years ago I had a Simon & Patrick Mini Jumbo, also a very nice guitar - I do prefer smaller guitars (although the Mini Jumbo isn't all that big), so my personal preference is the Folk size, but no doubt, this was also a fine guitar.

If you have a chance to test drive it and it plays to your liking I think you should buy with confidence
Old 08-13-2018, 07:46 AM

Default Pre-SWS

The Maritime series was not always solid wood. The SWS series came out roughly 10 years ago. I can’t remeber the specs of the pre-SWS series but it was a step up from the basic models. Perhaps a gloss finish. Still a great guitar. And the MJs I’ve tried have all been great sounding instruments.
Gibson-A9
Lanikai SMP-T

Last edited by mlejeune; 08-13-2018 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 08-13-2018, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisStarlight View Post
I thought they were all the solid wood. I may pick it up. At the price it’s hard not to.

If you can remember what didn’t you like about the tone? What kind of playing do you do mostly? I’m looking for a strummer/flatpicker mostly. Was looking at a Jumbo body already...
It just had a harshness in the upper registers that I couldn't shake. At first, I thought it was b/c it was new, but I kept it for a year, and it never totally went away. So, I sold it and replaced it with an Eastman EIR/Adi dread, which was a much better fit for me.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlejeune View Post
The Maritime series was not always solid wood. The SWS series came out roughly 10 years ago. I can’t remeber the specs of the pre-SWS series but it was a step up from the basic models. Perhaps a gloss finish. Still a great guitar. And the MJs I’ve tried have all been great sounding instruments.
You're right. I just consulted another source, and the Maritime Series was laminate Mahogany for the first three years --- 2006 through 2008.

Everything since 2009 has been Maritime SWS, which is all solid wood.

Thanks for the clarification!

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-15-2018 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Removed details
Old 08-14-2018, 08:42 PM

Default I have both...

...the SWS Maritime MJ and the S&P Woodland MJ, which is cedar with a laminated cherry back. As similar as they are, both seem like "keepers." The Simon & Patrick has a wonderful nasal resonance to the chords, rich with overtones. It's something special!

The upgrade to a spruce-topped SWS maintained 75% of that chordal quality, while roughly doubling the bass response. It's capable of more volume, truly a responsive guitar. Some of the tuners are still a bit tight, and I wish the 'gull had the larger tuning keys of the other one. I love little SWS details like the subtle texture of the back of the neck, more tactile but still fast, and the wood-shop smell of a new guitar. The 'gull's back is also slightly arched, while the S&P's is dead flat.

Do I think the SWS is worth the $500 I paid? Certainly, since I'll probably never see another Godin mini jumbo with a short scale and wide neck. But the S&P, for $200 used, is a minor miracle, too.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass

Last edited by Birdbrain; 08-14-2018 at 08:54 PM. Reason: another point

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion