The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-28-2017, 02:16 PM

Opened it. The leads are 16-18g so not much going through them. The line is fused by what seems to be a shared fuse AC and DC with a value of 6.3a 250v. Here's a direct replacement in ceramic, the one in the Korg is glass.

I took some photos if one of our electronics experts wants a look. I'll post them when I get another few minutes.

So electronics experts, my inclination is that we should be safe running 12v through this. Am I wrong? Any help grreatly appreciated!
Old 06-28-2017, 02:19 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-T6-3AH250...-/162142630483
Old 06-28-2017, 02:28 PM

Ran my Korg with batteries, didn't seem to reduce volume, still loud, maybe not as loud the Behringer AC60 but just as good and maybe more even more articulate, more refined sound

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Ran my Korg with batteries, didn't seem to reduce volume, still loud, maybe not as loud the Behringer AC60 but just as good and maybe more even more articulate, more refined sound

I take it you're happy then? <s>
Old 06-28-2017, 02:38 PM

Lol, of course, fantastic unit

Old 06-28-2017, 05:21 PM

Special announcement:

I can confirm that the Korg Mma130 will run fine at all volume levels on a 12v lead acid battery with readings of 12.87 volts-12.79 over the 7 minute test.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:03 PM

Thumbs up

let the games begin
Old 06-28-2017, 06:14 PM

Some quick comments on today's test, driving the Korg via a 12v batter and through channels 3+4 with an Amazon Fire tablet and a Kimber iPod cable.

12v is quieter than 120v but not by a whole lot. I'd say 3-6db down. The preamp is s still hard to drive on battery power so no surprises there. In comparing what I'd listened to through the Korg directly and via my Grado Reference RS2 headphones I can say that the Grados wipe the floor with the Korg, as you'd surely expect t but surprising to me, the Korg performed much better than it has any right to. It was actually very listenable and though not close to flat, it was a pleasant listen. The Grado has a way of involving me with the track that the Korg definitely lacked but I did have the battery tray out of the Korg so its porting was all kinds of messed with (I needed to do that to get battery power in).

It still sounded reasonable to good. I'd rather listen, I think as I haven't heard it in a while, to a Mackie SRM350 on the same test but that's a woefully unfair comparison to a speaker being directly powered via a 12v battery.

This Korg has lows, doesn't smear too much even with tough listening material and sounds better than most amps I've put through the same test. Its really pretty good and definitely a steal at the refurb price. No doubt.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
let the games begin
CASD,

If you're up to it, you can splice in the leads to a standard round input jack into the current battery leads, drill one hole and mount it to the body of the amp somewhere and you've got your external plug. You could even do it through the Velcroed wood cover. Just don't run any c cells while you're plugged in that way and you're golden.

Come to think of it, you don't even need to splice leads. Just pull the battery tray panel (held by 4 phillips screws to tge shell) and look for the two riveted connection leads to the C batteries. These act as crimped leads to the wiring of the amp. Just solder directly to those and you've got a 180 second wiring job.

Find the proper input jack on some piece of trashed electronics that you're going to throw out anyway, then the whole exercise is free.

Last edited by dannyg1; 06-28-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:12 AM

I like the idea of an external battery pack that plugs in the MMA130 when your ready.
And also though the battery cover would be perfect to mount the plug-in into.

Just need to figure out the connectors the Battery pack has or can use and find the female connector to mount in the MMA130

I have several pedals (not working) I could take the 9v connector out of.. but need to see what battery pack I'm going to buy first..
Old 06-29-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I like the idea of an external battery pack that plugs in the MMA130 when your ready.
And also though the battery cover would be perfect to mount the plug-in into.

Just need to figure out the connectors the Battery pack has or can use and find the female connector to mount in the MMA130

I have several pedals (not working) I could take the 9v connector out of.. but need to see what battery pack I'm going to buy first..
If you go into the amp where the battery tray/trays is/are, you'll noticed e its held into the cab by 4 screws on all the corners. Take those out and lift the bottom most side carefully up, there's a lip on the other side, then carefully pull it out (the lead wires are connected so don't yank it). Once you're inside, it should be easy to see what your options are.

On the side where the lip is, you'll see the crimp connecters that are riveted to the top of the tray. Your best bet is to solder there.

On where to mount the connector, I'd say drill a hole through the tray and mount it underneath where the C cells go, that way you can't forget to plug in while C cells are still in there. Drill a small hole for your plug connect from the external battery, in the velcrro'd slab and that's all there is to do.

A very quick external battery conversion that can run 9 or 12v.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:26 AM

If you tell me what your needs are, I can tell you which batteries/charger makes the most sense, at the best cost. I've been digging through battery options for days and days and I'm freshly versed in the subject.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:33 PM

Wife called .. "Big heavy box arrived"

I guess my work day is done...
Old 06-29-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Wife called .. "Big heavy box arrived"

I guess my work day is done...
The shipping box is very impressive, but mostly overkill.

The news though is user #3 in the house <s>
Old 06-29-2017, 01:10 PM

Here's some great news for us few owners:

https://reverb.com/item/1343475-korg...ry-or-ac-power

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification