The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-23-2017, 10:48 PM

Default This is a Korg MMA130. A battery powered PA speaker/amp that costs $411.

Have a look at this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Korg-MMA130...ds=korg+mma130

I just bought one of these and it's an interesting speaker. Amazing actually.

It's fairly large, about 25% larger than a Roland KC110 or Loudbox mini. It's just a touch smaller than a Mackie SRM350. It weighs somewhere around 25lbs and runs on 12 C cells. Its built in an MDF cabinet and is covered in black vinyl. The build quality is solid but not a luxurious, bomb proof kind of solid, more like the Crate TX15 is, a cheap but substantial kind of solid. Its better than plastic.

Its got 4 channels, 2 combi XLR and 2 1/4". No reverb. Technically its got 6 channels as it also has both dual LR 1/4" and RCA stereo ins. Has a line out, has ground lift, has a feedback sweep but its global, also a global set bass-mid-treb pots.
It has a 9v output to power a pedal for you. It has no power brick and plugs in via an IEC socket, an internal power supply. Any 12v extension battery will have to be wired through the battery tray.

Specs say it has 104db max SPL (not max peak, like Mackie quotes).

There are a few things about this that make it a not quite miraculous product (and yes, I have a *very* good reason to use the word 'miraculous').

First, the preamp is too weak and, if you plug directly into it, mic or guitar, it never gets loud enough and the 6.5" woofer starts to object.

Second, this is not small and it carries exactly like a mid size PA speaker (with the big honking recessed metal handle.

I've only played through this for a couple of hours now and I've yet to even test it on batteries, so don't hold me to any of what I'm about to say as my impression of the thing could easily change fairly dramatically, mostly because I'm beginning to hear a buzz in the woofer and I'm not sure if its going to hold together for its test debut. Cross your fingers. I'm seriously hoping this amp does.

The sound it makes, when you use a small amp as a front end and this Korg as an extension speaker is pretty impressive. This cabinet has real bass, like you could play a bass through it and the bass will be full and solid, down good and low ( but will the driver hold?). Its impressively loud. My first impressions have it louder than my Loudbox Mini but I'll test it against that to be sure later.

The vocal sounds almost rich through it. Its not quite as nice as my LBX mini but its very nice and very comfortable. It seems to handle dynamics well, except for the buzz in the driver. Maybe loose screws or a rattle in the battery tray, no batteries in there yet. Tomorrow will tell.

Here's the miraculous part. Click on this. I promise you'll be as amazed as I am:

https://smile.amazon.com/Korg-Monito...ds=korg+mma130

You'll have 30 days to test it, 90 days warranty.

So, do you agree? Miraculous, right?

Last edited by dannyg1; 06-24-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

Available at $299.00 new from another seller on Amazon - 8th Street Music.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:34 AM

Weighs 27 lbs without batteries. 12 C cells adds almost 2 lbs. BTW Amazon says 6 C cells. Apparently it works on 6 or 12. If 6 knock off about a lb. So right at 30 lbs with no bag or cover. For durability and performance, I'd take plastic over mdf most any day. Global EQ which is tricky for voice and guitar mixes. Otherwise it looks like another decent, but feature limited, battery power option to produce sound. Product dates to 2012 so it is pretty much past generation technology.

Korg says 30 watts. What is the math on that?

hunter
Old 06-24-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
Available at $299.00 new from another seller on Amazon - 8th Street Music.
And from someone on ebay too, and another place on Reverb as well. It's been closed out at $299 but didn't have any sell through, on Ebay at least.

Is there something about the second link that only certain Prime members get to see?
Old 06-24-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Weighs 27 lbs without batteries. 12 C cells adds almost 2 lbs. BTW Amazon says 6 C cells. Apparently it works on 6 or 12. If 6 knock off about a lb. So right at 30 lbs with no bag or cover. For durability and performance, I'd take plastic over mdf most any day. Global EQ which is tricky for voice and guitar mixes. Otherwise it looks like another decent, but feature limited, battery power option to produce sound. Product dates to 2012 so it is pretty much past generation technology.

Korg says 30 watts. What is the math on that?

hunter
Roland math without a doubt. And I agree, the specs of this thing make it pretty much an EQ'able extension speaker with emergency inputs (because they're really not directly usable for much). Still, so many people come around and say that they have no budget and want to maybe, upgrade their Street Cube to something reasonable. This will do that.

Between this and the Freeplay closeout, which could be looked at as a more modern version of this (The Free play's lithium is a 7.5v 5200mah that they claim to get 150w RMS from and the reports say its instrument input is like this Korg's are too), its a pretty remarkable time to be looking for a bargain in battery powered amps.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:46 AM

Wow! I'm debating buying that. Don't need it though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-24-2017, 01:05 PM

This thing has a 9V (500mA) DC output that can power your pedals with a polarization inverter...

That's interesting
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 06-24-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post

This thing has a 9V (500mA) DC output that can power your pedals with a polarization inverter...

That's interesting
It comes with along cable to plug it as well. It's pin hot (center positive) so should run most 9v DC items that adhere to that standard, without a pole inverter even.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:39 PM

Most 9 v pedals are pin negative.

hunter
Old 06-24-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Most 9 v pedals are pin negative.

hunter

Shows you how often I use pedals. Most 9v power bricks are pin hot. Like 99% most.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Don't need it though!
Me neither ... Mine arrives Thursday.

Thanks a lot for posting Dannyg.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:36 PM

Mine will be here Tuesday
Old 06-24-2017, 05:55 PM

Well isn't this special
Old 06-24-2017, 05:56 PM

We'll all have some fun trying to improve this thing. For this money, I think it's a no brained. It's got to be useful for some part of what we do...
Old 06-24-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Me neither ... Mine arrives Thursday.

Thanks a lot for posting Dannyg.
You're welcome Jake. Tell me what you think of it when you've Put some mileage on it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification