The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-22-2013, 06:52 PM

Default K&K Pure Mini + Magnetic Sound Hole pickup

Hi,

I'm interested in other's experiences in blending the K&K Pure Mini with a magnetic sound hold pickup. Anyone?

I recently wired in a Fishman Blackstack in my Taylor along with the K&K. Both are passive (bonus, no batteries!). I am impressed. The Blackstack has such a full and round bass - really nice. And the trebles are really clear & cut through the mix... but it isn't harsh and thin like a UST. EQ-wise, I ran the Blackstack close to flat, only taking out a touch of mids. I know some people like to roll of everything but the bass in their mag, but for me, I like the full range of frequencies - it really sounds good by itself.

The K&K fills in the mid-range nicely, something that the mag is weak in. On my guitar, I find that it has a fairly pronounced mid range hump about 300-400 Hz, I take a good amount out there. The K&K sounds nice by itself, even passive. But I think it lacks aggressiveness when in a band situation, not sure if a preamp would help that or not. I've used both the Pure Preamp and the Tri-star preamps before and wasn't necessarily impressed with either one. The mid-control is especially perplexing to me, being set at 1500 Hz... it didn't help me shape the sound like it needed. IMO, a preamp with a sweepable mid is a must with the K&K. Regardless, I'm running it passive now.

Logistically, the K&K is on the tip and the mag is on the ring of a stereo jack. So I can take the Blackstack out by disconnecting the connector and put it in multiple guitars. Or just grab one without it and play the K&K by itself on a mono cable. I velcro'd the connector so it can adhere within the inside of the guitar when the Blackstack isn't installed.

Give me your K&K + mag experiences
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 09-23-2013, 08:41 AM

Have you tried this combo for solo acoustic gigs? I've been thinking of adding a soundhole pickup to my k&k
Old 09-23-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejay71093 View Post
Have you tried this combo for solo acoustic gigs? I've been thinking of adding a soundhole pickup to my k&k
Kind of. Yesterday I lead the worship team band so most of the time everyone was playing with me. But there were a few times when it was just me doing some fingerstyle, setting up the song, etc. So essentially I was playing by myself. I love how it sounds when it's just me playing, the 2 mix together nicely.

My other guitar has a Lyric + mag. On the one hand it sounds like a mic (good) and on the other hand, it sounds like a mic (finger squeaks, body noise, etc). The K&K + mag doesn't have either of those mic characteristics, but it still sounds very good. I was surprised how good the trebles on the Blackstack sounded... they didn't sound electric like I thought they would.

Last week, I used just the Blackstack into a Boss LS-2 - took the 1 signal to 2 different amps (acoustic and electric). So on some songs I'd play acoustic, and others through my electric pedal board into an electric amp. So it sounded like an electric guitar coming from an acoustic guitar. Pretty cool.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

I've run k&k with sunrise before in a few of my guitars. My favorite set up now is in my Ryan. I run a k&k with a duncan magmic.

I've been back and forth with "k&k and mag" and "k&k and mic". The mag was great, but was missing that airiness with the mic. The mic was great but was missing the clarity of the mag. The Magmic is a great combo since you get that great mag sound with a touch of air!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 AM

Nice, I'm looking for something to fatten up the tone of my guitar during solo shows. I might give that a try!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

...i had great results combining the K&K wiyh a Baggs M-1 A....i used a Raven Labs PMB-1 sometimes but got even better results with a stereo y cord and two separate channels on the mixer....
Old 09-23-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
I've been back and forth with "k&k and mag" and "k&k and mic". The mag was great, but was missing that airiness with the mic. The mic was great but was missing the clarity of the mag. The Magmic is a great combo since you get that great mag sound with a touch of air!
Yes, YES, YES... a thousand times YES. I'm gonna have to try one of those.

So the magmic is active on the tip... how easy is it to wire in the k&k (passive I assume on the ring?).
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 09-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post

So the magmic is active on the tip... how easy is it to wire in the k&k (passive I assume on the ring?).
very easy to do, just like any dual source. one source to tip and one to ring!

And yes, magmic is active so you have to run power (battery).

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 09-23-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
I've run k&k with sunrise before in a few of my guitars. My favorite set up now is in my Ryan. I run a k&k with a duncan magmic.

your last combo is really what you have with the Lyric and the Mag, which is what I am using now.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 09-23-2013, 11:25 AM

Just be aware that different mags can and do sound very different. Just because you like one does not mean you will like another. My favorite is the Sunrise and I really like the Dimarzio Angel, maybe as much as the Sunrise. My impressions of the Blackstack are that it is a clone of the Sunrise and sounds very similar. I've only heard recordings of the Duncan MagMic and didn't care for the mag part in those recordings very much. I don't like the voicing of the Baggs pickups at all. I wanted to... and have owned 2 M1's but they just didn't work for me. I've also had a couple Fishman Rare Earths... and they are OK to my ears but not great.

I've never had a K&K in any of my guitars but I think SBT's do sound pretty similar from one to the next. The placement seems to me to be a larger variable than the company. I've had 3 JJB's, and a number of different McIntyres, along with mostly Sunrise mags and am very happy with that sound. My #2 guitar now has a Dimarzio Angel to which I'll be adding a JJB pretty soon.
that's me on guitar
Old 09-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

If you like the Blackstack, another pickup you could try is the Mimesis Kudos http://www.vanden.co.uk/kudos.htm
Mike Vanden is the guy who created what became the Fishman Rare Earth pickups, and also designed the Blackstack (you can see the similarity with the Kudos). Also, the mag and mic come out in stereo (mag on tip, mic on ring) so you'd have to add a second jack for the SBT. It's a fair bit pricier, too... It sounds fantastic, though!
This video by Thomas Leeb was recorded using the Dazzo SBT, Mimesis Kudos, and I think the H4n mics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhsPYRUqphk
Old 09-23-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyLuo View Post
If you like the Blackstack, another pickup you could try is the Mimesis Kudos http://www.vanden.co.uk/kudos.htm
It's a fair bit pricier, too... It sounds fantastic, though!
Wow, £398.00 = $638.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 09-23-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
your last combo is really what you have with the Lyric and the Mag, which is what I am using now.
I just finished this install (Lyric + Blackstack) last night in my Jaffrey. Tell me your setup, blend, eq, etc. Impressions?
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 09-23-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I just finished this install (Lyric + Blackstack) last night in my Jaffrey. Tell me your setup, blend, eq, etc. Impressions?
In my guitar I had no soundhole so my mag is a ultra thin Lace humbucker. I am dual sourcing with a Dtar Solstice. For me I EQed down the treble and mids of the mag. Continued my mid cut on the Lyric. I start with the Lyric and bring up the mag till I like the bass. Right now it is about 60% Lyric and 40% mag. Maybe even lighter on the mag. Your mag could be better than mine so your mileage may vary. My impressions are that it seems to open it up a little with a larger than life bass, which most people expect. I think its a improment worth doing. Gives you a lot of flexibility. Does it sound more like my guitar the simple answer is no, to me the Lyric is the sound and feel of my guitar. That's why I start with the Lyric and add only enough mag to enhance. Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 09-23-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:42 PM

I have a bose T1 mixer and only use 2 inputs and also an extra samson vocal mic lying around. Would it be overboard to use my k&k mini w preamp, a fishman blackstack and also mic the guitar and try blending all the sounds in? (Using 3 diff channels). I play sitting down but I've never tried using a guitar mic live.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification