The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-14-2018, 02:35 PM

Default Looking for a small body fingerstyle guitar to record with, but...

Hey all. I've been on the hunt for a smaller bodied guitar to pair with my 00-15M for recording some stuff, and I'm not sure exactly what it is I'm looking for.

Ideally, I want something with a slightly more robust/clear bottom end, but still has a mellow tone on the unwound strings. I think I'd like something with a spruce top, but I really don't want there to be much chime or jangle to it (even with a ribbon mic and some generous EQ, I find it hard to recreate the sound of a guitar with a naturally woody upper-register).

Initially I thought it might be possible to make a GS mini fit the role, but the tonal body isn't up to the task of being recorded, and that brilliant sweet Taylor tone is there in spades, and that's not what I'm looking for.

I'm not even sure if I should look for scalloped or non-scalloped bracing considering the tradeoffs you tend to find when looking at guitars with smaller bodies like what I like.

I was initially curious about the Guild M-40 to add a bit of tonal variety to my sound, but there aren't any local shops that carry the American ones, and it almost seems that, given the price of the new ones, finding a decent vintage one might be a better option. I also saw a Gibson B-15 on Craigslist a little ways away, but looking at that bridge and reading a bit about it online, it sounds like I can safely pass on that drive.

Are there other decent options out there that aren't laminate? If I could find something used for $1000 or less, I'd be a happy fella, but I'm aware that what I'm looking for may find me having to double that initial price.

Edit: Another thing I know nothing about that I wouldn't mind an education in is how Gibson's smaller-body guitars compare. I don't know my L-series from my LGs, and I hear the B-25 is alright?

Last edited by [J.K.]; 08-14-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:39 PM

I'd suggest, that you audition an L body Larrivee, great for recording
Old 08-14-2018, 06:52 PM

Give a concert body Breedlove a shot. Beautiful tone. Good bass. Good clean tone. Beautiful instruments.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
I'd suggest, that you audition an L body Larrivee, great for recording
I always forget about Larrivee. I've only ever played their dreads, and I don't recall the tonal characteristiccs beyond it having a strong bass, but being overall a bit quieter than expected. To be fair, I'm not a big dreadnought player, so I try not to judge companies by body types I don't use regularly.

What's the main tonal difference between their x-bracing and "hybrid scalloped" bracing? I assume the hybrid offers more clarity, but does it have much impact on the woodiness of the tone or the lower or higher midrange specifically? Alternately, does the traditional x-bracing lean on the stiffer or more creamy side?
Old 08-14-2018, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

I wonder if something from the Martin 17 series wouldn't give you what you're looking for. Mahogany with a Sitka top is combo I've always liked. And they're reasonably priced.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [J.K.] View Post
I always forget about Larrivee. I've only ever played their dreads, and I don't recall the tonal characteristiccs beyond it having a strong bass, but being overall a bit quieter than expected. To be fair, I'm not a big dreadnought player, so I try not to judge companies by body types I don't use regularly.

What's the main tonal difference between their x-bracing and "hybrid scalloped" bracing? I assume the hybrid offers more clarity, but does it have much impact on the woodiness of the tone or the lower or higher midrange specifically? Alternately, does the traditional x-bracing lean on the stiffer or more creamy side?
Larrivee standard bracing tends to even out the strings, more balanced. The 40 series guitar bracing are braced more traditional style bracing, closer to a Martin type sound.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Larrivee standard bracing tends to even out the strings, more balanced. The 40 series guitar bracing are braced more traditional style bracing, closer to a Martin type sound.
Interesting, but I think of balance as sitting on different ends of the spectrum for fingerstyle vs strumming, so I wonder...
I take it the OM is a bit narrower in low end versus the L series?

Which tends to have the softest overtones?

(P.S. Thanks for the info.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion