The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-14-2018, 11:41 AM

I'm a fan. I also consider it a 'tweener' wood as previously mentioned. Generally I've found it to be a bit denser than koa with a brighter tap tone and hence a little step closer to rosewood in tonality, but only just a bit. Just finished one this weekend...
Old 08-14-2018, 02:01 PM

Nice guitar! I particularly like the blackwood veneer you put on the back of the headstock; that’s a nice touch.

whm
Old 08-14-2018, 06:43 PM

Thanks. I think that's gonna be standard in the future...
Old 08-14-2018, 07:17 PM

Default Australian blackwood

I have a Martin 00-14 custom. My understanding is that it was a prototype for the CEO-7. It is probably my favorite guitar. I agree with much of what Wade has already stated. It looks similar to koa and is beautiful but has better tone somewhere between rosewood and mahogany.

Mine has an Adirondack top, Australian back and sides. Even though it is a 00, it is very versatile.

I like walnut too and maybe that is the closest one sound wise to it.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
That's a beauty Col.

Steve
Thanks Steve, it shows how important the US is for custom guitars in that me (an Aussie) went to Healdsburg in 2013 to look for guitars and met Laurie Williams (a New Zealander) looking for buyers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psfam View Post
I have a Martin 00-14 custom. My understanding is that it was a prototype for the CEO-7. It is probably my favorite guitar. I agree with much of what Wade has already stated. It looks similar to koa and is beautiful but has better tone somewhere between rosewood and mahogany.

Mine has an Adirondack top, Australian back and sides. Even though it is a 00, it is very versatile.

I like walnut too and maybe that is the closest one sound wise to it.
I’m with you on the walnut Psfam, I’ve a walnut guitar too and to me it is another great “tweener”, with a beautiful woody tone.\

Col
Old 08-15-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
I recently visited a guitar store in Adelaide. Cole Clarke (and Maton) have a few different models but make them with all sorts of wood combinations. In the past I've like the Angel, and they had five of them, with various wood combos. I tried them all and didn't really like any of them until I played the Blackwood b/s and Bunya top - I immediately took to it. There's another Aussie timber for you.

I found this for those interested in Aussie timbers.
https://guitartimbers.com/timbers/
My Cole-Clark FL3A is a bunya top and Tasmanian blackwood top and sides. It's a neat guitar
Martin CEO-7
Custom Huss and Dalton DS 12 fret
Cole-Clark FL3AC
American standard strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion