The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muser View Post
guitar won't slide off my lap but, honestly, I can't really see how all the contours o. When it comes to sitting securely on laps, might conventionally sharp edges actually help things stay in place?
I’ll second what the Captain says about the wonderful knee and belly hugging comfort of the old X7,
BTW, mine’s all gloss and it sits nice and secure in my lap.

I will also refer you back to Mr. Hay’s post a few pages ago:

” The X7 really is a totally reimagined instrument from the original X7 and only shares the name and scale length.
I wanted to take it from being thought of as purely a travel guitar to being a parlour guitar that is also great for travel.
The body has been enlarged a little bit in every way that actually makes it sit more comfortably in the knee and combined with the 24" scale and 12 fret to body design it brings the neck further into the body reducing left arm stretch and putting the bridge in the perfect tonal sweet spot. Its really a great sounding guitar. A much fuller and richer tone than the old X7 and very comfortable to play “

Dang ! Now I made m’self want one again, just when I thought I was over it.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:15 AM

Agreed, Long Jon. If my wife hadn't pulled the trigger on her bubinga woody X7 a few months ago (and loving it) she'd probably be all over the new and improved X7. I am curious to try one myself, even though we are well stocked.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
The body has been enlarged a little bit in every way that actually makes it sit more comfortably in the knee and combined with the 24" scale and 12 fret to body design it brings the neck further into the body reducing left arm stretch and putting the bridge in the perfect tonal sweet spot. Its really a great sounding guitar. A much fuller and richer tone than the old X7 and very comfortable to play “[/I]

Dang ! Now I made m’self want one again, just when I thought I was over it.
Gee thanks Jon...I was about over it too...now I'm ordering soon. I'm wondering what the value of a "older" X7 Artisian is now. Not many for sale to use as a guide.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I don't think an ice finish on the neck would be a good idea.

I thought a crystal ice finish on the back of the neck would give a similar non-sticky results as with a satin finish neck, now I don't think so.

My X7 has been in my 45% humid basement and when I rubbed my finger across the body's top (gloss finish) it feels sticky, on the body's back and sides (crystal ice) not as sticky as the gloss but there is some stickiness,
on the the the back of the neck (satin) very smooth no stickiness at all.
Satin finish neck is the best choice IMHO.

Prior to getting my X7, I asked Alistair how he attained the satin finish on the neck and his response...

" When I do a satin finish neck its hand sanded with 600 grit paper and then waxed. It gives a nice smooth feel "
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 06-12-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:00 AM

Day 2 of no tracking updates after Heathrow...morale is low. Dwindling supplies. I begin to wonder if the X30 will ever arrive...
Old 06-13-2018, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
Satin finish neck is the best choice IMHO.
My CA Blade has some sort of satin finish or non-finish (it's not glossy).

If I could get that kind of whatever-it-is on all my CF / eKoa guitars I would do it!
Old 06-13-2018, 07:49 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamarebel View Post
Day 2 of no tracking updates after Heathrow...morale is low. Dwindling supplies. I begin to wonder if the X30 will ever arrive...
Don’t sweat it. No updates after Heathrow is typical. I have experienced it a few times when tracking an Emerald shipment. It’ll just show up at your delivery address likely before you see any further online tracking updates, if any.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Don’t sweat it. No updates after Heathrow is typical. I have experienced it a few times when tracking an Emerald shipment. It’ll just show up at your delivery address likely before you see any further online tracking updates, if any.

Same boat here on my Lefty Opus X20 good to hear this is typical!
Old 06-13-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songtown View Post
Same boat here on my Lefty Opus X20 good to hear this is typical!
Guess I'll stop refreshing the page every 15 seconds
Old 06-13-2018, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

LOL...it's a great problem to have. Congrats to both of you in advance. Looking forward to pictures.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:24 AM
Guest 928

I've heard that some things never get out of Heathrow. Particularly now that the Brits are POed at the Irish (even more than usual). And then you have to keep in mind that Long Jon lives close to Heathrow and may be lurking for lost packages.

Best not even look at tracking. Those trackers are devious as all get out. When my Bose was coming from Sweetwater, there were long stationary moments at the same drop, and then some strange diversions. My suspicion is that the trackers get stoned and then figure how to make the trip the most far out.

But don't listen to me, relax, the package will arrive, eventually, probably, maybe. Just saying.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamarebel View Post

I SO understand! To help with morale: OMG, you have one of the first production X30s coming!! You are a forward-thinker and a trend-setter! Women will find you more attractive and men will want to be you. Strapping that X30 on will make you appear taller and thinner. And, obviously, smarter.

OK, enough of the cheerleading... I will reiterate: once my guitar left Heathrow, I received zero updates from the USPS. BUT, they are obviously handling this as something more special than Priority.

You will want to lay in some more supplies - once you start playing your new X30, you may not want to leave the house for a few days... unless you will be playing out with your new guitar.

DO NOT, however, miss the opportunity to post a New Guitar Day announcement here, complete with photographs. One of you with a big ol' smile on your face, while holding the guitar would be nice, too.

You are on the home stretch. Do not waver. Do not give up hope. Do not despair. Play another guitar in the meantime, so you fingers stay in shape... it will probably be the last time that guitar will see any playing for a while.

Others have been where you are. To a person, we all came through on the other end. Smiling. It is amazing how therapeutic opening a new guitar box is to make you forget the angst of the wait. I've heard that some women experience something similar with childbirth... except they don't have a cool new guitar when done.

Too far? Yeah, I always seem to push it. That said, congrats on the incoming!

Jim
Old 06-13-2018, 03:03 PM
Guest 928

Despite my earlier words of discouragement, I do have to admit that the Captain is probably correct in saying that strapping on that X30 will make you appear taller and thinner. That should be included in Alistairs advertisements.
To give credit where credit is due, the captain said it first. Please don't hurt me.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Despite my earlier words of discouragement, I do have to admit that the Captain is probably correct in saying that strapping on that X30 will make you appear taller and thinner. That should be included in Alistairs advertisements.
To give credit where credit is due, the captain said it first. Please don't hurt me.
Evan, I am a ray of sunshine, spreading joy wherever I go. I probably shouldn't have told the "whacking the drunk with a mic stand" story. He had it coming. You and me? We're good.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:37 PM

Taller and thinner ? ! !

No thanks .... I wouldn’t say I’ve got weirdly long limbs, but people often try and trap me under a beer-glass and put me outside ....

I’d rather grow another head.

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber