The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-24-2017, 10:32 PM

Default Ultrasound AG-50ds

I just scored a great deal on an Ultrasound AG-50ds that was too good to pass up. It is the dark brown model that says "made in USA" on the back.

Can't find too much historical information about Ultrasound amps on the web other than some dead links that the Wayback Machine even couldn't help me with.

Can anyone help me identify the year this amp was manufactured and provide information on a manual or schematic diagram?

I would also like to know a bit more about the Ultrasound history.

Thanks

willie
Old 06-25-2017, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandowilli View Post
I just scored a great deal on an Ultrasound AG-50ds that was too good to pass up. It is the dark brown model that says "made in USA" on the back.

Can't find too much historical information about Ultrasound amps on the web other than some dead links that the Wayback Machine even couldn't help me with.

Can anyone help me identify the year this amp was manufactured and provide information on a manual or schematic diagram?

I would also like to know a bit more about the Ultrasound history.

Thanks

willie
Hi Willie
Greg Farres (inventor of the UltraSound amps), sometimes hangs out here.

His email used to be [email protected]

The amp line was bought by Dean Markley, and the original page which Greg used to advertise the amps is gone (apparently). The first one I ever played through was at Bobby's music in Denver and it was the dark covered one. By the time I got around to buying one, the line had been updated twice.

The model was improved over time (updated) from the original AG-50 (dark brown) to the DS-2, then DS-3 and latest was DS-4 (as far as I know).

Either Shoreline music or Django Books may be able to fill in holes in the history as they have both sold the UltraSound line as long as any dealers I know.

I've owned 4 of the AG-50 (the first light brown, two of the DS-3 & a DS-4), plus An AG-30, an AG-15 and AG-15M (no longer made). They are awesome stage amps, and wonderful as a small PA system in small coffee shops too. I still own/use a DS-3, DS-4 and AG-15m.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-25-2017, 09:55 PM

Thanks Larry.

I was able to get the Wayback Machine to cough up a few details albeit with some blanks in the history.

It looks like the dark brown AG-50 and AG-50d where the original Ultrasound models back around 1998-1999 followed by the AG-50ds, which is the one I have. I was only able to date these by reading reviews of the amps that were loosely dated.

I dug up a manual for the Ag-50ds if anyone is interested.

https://web.archive.org/web/20030324...ochureRev1.pdf
Old 06-26-2017, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Hi willlie

I think the AG-50 is the best kept secret in the acoustic amp world.

It's rugged enough to take it on the road, retro looking enough to fit on most stages/settings, well featured enough to be useful, sounds like a guitar only louder not a guitar with a pickup playing through an amp.

And it is well designed, and natural sounding, and well enough engineered that a bass and treble are the most controls one usually needs with it. It doesn't feedback like crazy (you have to work to get it to feedback) and doesn't sound boxy when you push it's volume.

At 24 pounds, it's light enough to haul into the gig without a hand-cart, and it can sub as a PA in small situations (just plug your mic into channel one). Newer versions put Neutrik inputs on it so you can plug a mic into it.

With the effects built in you can get a decent reverb, and the notch/feedback resist thing is ok (never had to use it). The scoop switch is ok when you need to get rid of mid and low mids, and the input volume combined with the master output give you great control without overdrive (it's hard to get an UltraSound to sound overdriven). It's about a perfect match with a K&K single or dual source rig.

The mini-patch bay on the back is only ok - I still prefer to run from guitar to a passive DI (or external preamp) and send low impedance to the board from there and then pass the ¼" through to the amp so I can control the amp volume/tone separate from the house treatment of my signal.

And having an 8" woofer with the high frequency driver built into it sounds much better than just using a 4.5"-6" speaker to reproduce acoustic guitar. I found 8" speakers about the optimum size for acoustic guitars years before I discovered UltraSound amps. We used to pick up 8" practice electric guitar amps from pawn shops for $25-40 back in the day, and they worked well with acoustics in living room settings. Just had to keep the input volume/gain low and master volume up so they didn't overdrive when you pushed them (or feedback when pushed).

And they continue that same 8" two way speaker setup throughout their amp line. They did build an AG-250 with a set of speakers, but they never sold all that well. I have a friend with one, and he prefers the smaller cabinet UltraSounds for acoustics. He's using the AG-250 for a stage monitor for his dobro and lap steels.

To find a better natural sounding acoustic amp than the $400 AG-50 DS-4 you'd have to spend over $1000 for the big AER or jump another $500-1000 again for a Rivera.

Hope you enjoy your 'new' amp.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-30-2017, 10:18 PM

Default Great score!!

I would agree with Larry. Ultrasound amps (Pre-Markley) are among the best kept secrets in the amplification world. I own a 2004 DS2 and a DI Plus. Both have been steady workhorses for over 13 years. I have never considered anything else for amplification for my Taylors. I am not certain how they are since the Markley takeover but anything before that time is a gem and a steal if you can find one.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 07-03-2017, 01:22 PM

I received my Ultrasound AG-50ds today and I am more that pleased with it!

I will be using it for mandolin and dobro and already both sound warmer than they do with my Fishman Loudbox Artist or former amp a Roland AC60, which I always found to have a somewhat sterile sound.

It does not have nearly as many features or as much power as the Fishman but I was rarely using much of that to begin with and it should be enough for my needs as a stage monitor. Like Larry, I run separate lines from my DI to house and monitor for more control so won't be using the line outs and just want a really good sound for myself on stage.

Guitar Center listed this online as very good condition and it really should have been excellent to mint because it looks like the day it came out of the box for the first time save a few small dings on the back. I called them at the store and talked them into taking $119.00 for it. With shipping I have a great amp for less than $150.00!

willi
Old 07-03-2017, 09:00 PM

Sometimes less is more. The EFX are pretty decent and what I like about mine is the dedicated EFX send and receive. I run my pedals through it and bypass the internal EFX. The beauty about these amps is their unbelievable clarity and transparency. No coloring of your tone at all. What is deceptive about the co,use is that at 50w you have plenty of power, it sounds quieter than it is because there is no ambient signals or sound. It sounds quiet and will fill an averaged sized room quite well. Additionally it should have an xlr out to connect to a PA. Good purchase.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 07-04-2017, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Sometimes less is more. The EFX are pretty decent and what I like about mine is the dedicated EFX send and receive. I run my pedals through it and bypass the internal EFX. The beauty about these amps is their unbelievable clarity and transparency. No coloring of your tone at all. What is deceptive about the co,use is that at 50w you have plenty of power, it sounds quieter than it is because there is no ambient signals or sound. It sounds quiet and will fill an averaged sized room quite well. Additionally it should have an xlr out to connect to a PA. Good purchase.
Hi Nelson

Yup, you can drive yourself off the stage with volume and not be approaching ¾ power on the master or gain controls…plenty of power.

The first time I played a guitar through an UltraSound I didn't even know what it was. I was auditioning amps at Bobby's Music in Denver and when he plugged my cable into the 'chocolate brown' amp I said turn it up. He said "I did" but I couldn't really hear it.

So I asked him to turn it up again, and he did and I asked again and he said "Come over here and listen." So I did and it was very loud, and very natural - I was so used to listening to/playing guitars with pickups through amps which sounded like amps. The UltraSound sounded like a guitar only a lot louder.

Your descriptive term "No coloring of your tone at all…" is rare in the acoustic amp market. AER, Rivera, UltraSound are three which come to mind. The other two are well above the $1000 price range, whereas the UltraSounds start at $150 for the AG-15 (single speaker single channel version of the AG-50). And it's built to not distort (unlike electric amps).

By the way - it's good to see you online Nelson. It's been a while.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 07-05-2017, 10:49 PM

Well I'm a fan. Have the DS4 & AG30. Played an $1100 AER today and made me glad I have what I do. The DS4 is really a beautiful thing with a K&K and their preamp. Taylor ES2 as well.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:29 AM

Hello Larry. I have been away for quite sometime. The business of life and family. I hope to be more of a presence. I love my Ultrasound gear and it has served me faithfully since 2004. I have never entertained any other gear. I've looked online and I can't hardly find any used Ultrasound amps (Pre Dean Markley). This tells me that those of us who have them keep them. We don't sell.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 03-28-2022, 06:11 PM

Talking Longshot Request

So I recently sold a guitar to a guy who randomly asked if I knew how to fix amps and if so, I could have this amp he had for free. He was an older gentleman and simply had no interest in looking into it himself or sending it to be fixed so I agreed to take it off his hands. The amp is an absolutely mint condition, literally never played, ULTRASOUND AG50DS4. He bought it and only used it once or twice to fiddle around and then one day he said the power came on but he couldn't get it to make a sound. So again, literally never fully used. I tested every in and out myself, checked the fuse, took a peek inside to see if any wires or connectors were loose or if anything appeared to be altered or burned and it's as clean as a whistle. The amp is Tan with the tan coloured tweed hatch type screen. It's branded with a large ULTRASOUND logo at top and center, so this is pre Dean Markley era I believe, there's nothing to indicate Dean Markely anywhere on it, inside or out. So again, it does power up, but no matter what you plug in or try to pass through it, it simply doesn't transmit any sound whatsoever. So, I want to take it to be repaired because I've heard nothing but great things about this amp. I've researched the snot out of it and found the user manual, a physical spec sheet and FX list sheet, but what I need is the actual Circuitry Schematic if anyone happens to still have one from their original purchase or has come across one themselves? It could be a long shot and I've even tried to message Greg Farras and also Dean Markley with no results, although I haven't heard back from Greg as of yet, but for all I know, his email might have changed?

Any help would be very much appreciated, even if you have had something similar happen to your DS4 that you had repaired, I could use that as a potential guideline when I take mine in for repair. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-28-2022, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelehos View Post
…Any help would be very much appreciated, even if you have had something similar happen to your DS4 that you had repaired, I could use that as a potential guideline when I take mine in for repair. Thanks in advance!
Hi Pelehos

Greg sold the company to Dean Markley, who proceeded to run it into the ground in a few months/years.

I still own 3 UltraSounds - an early DS version with XLR input (channel 1) and a DS4-Dean Markley 50 watt version, plus a small - made for only a short time - AG-15M which is a single speaker, dual channel 15W version of the older AG series. It actually makes more trips (as my stage monitor) than the bigger ones these days. It's half the weight (14 pounds) and half the number of speakers, but sounds/works awesome.

Django Books was a primary dealer and still lists amps for sale on their site. You might track them down to see if they know of repair people who could help.

The inventor (Greg Fares mentioned in the thread) does have a FaceBook account, and may respond to how repairs could be obtained.

I found a used 15-M for my gigging buddy on Guitar Center dot com and had it shipped to a store 40 miles from us from the East coast (0$ shipping in 4 days) a couple years back. It was in flawless condition, and cost about ½ what they sold for new.

If I were to buy a new acoustic amp today - I'd jump into an AER.

I'm pretty sure someone who is versed in guitar/electronics repair (someone with a bunch of knowledge under their belt) could either fix it or point you in the right direction.

UltraSound are great amps, and I hope you find the help you need.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 03-28-2022, 07:52 PM

Thumbs up Reply to ljguitar

Thanks for the reply ljguitar!

I have reached out to those on Django Books and that's where I was able to find the user manual at least and info to attempt contacting a guy that worked at Dean Markley, but that contact couldn't give me any info I needed as far as schematics go. As for your gear, sounds like a great little collection and I will check into AER. I do currently use a Fishman LB-600 and a Fender Acoustic 200, both of which I very much like but I am dying to hear this Ultrasound as everyone seems to hold it very highly in the acoustic amp ranks. I will look Greg up on Facebook and see if he can help any.

Thanks again for the information and quick reply, it's very much appreciated!
  • EPIPHONE Inspires By Gibson J200
  • EPIPHONE EJ200 ARTIST
  • SIGMA DR35
  • MARTIN Backpacker
  • HOHNER HG-210
  • BLUEBERRY Custom Design
  • FENDER Newporter
  • FENDER Hellcat 10th Ann.
  • SQUIRE 70's Vibe Jaguar
    +++...
Old 03-29-2022, 02:43 AM
Charter Member

Currently, there's a used one for sale at my favorite local shop.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-29-2022, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

I bought the DS3 and loved it so much I added the Pre/DI which is essentially the preamp front end of the amp. Both are fantastic, built like tanks, easy to use, and they sound fantastic.

Ultrasound was an utter bargain in the acoustic world before they were bought out.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
ultrasound ag-50ds, ultrasound amp history