The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-27-2024, 08:53 AM

Default What to expect from a Luthier

Hi all
I have never taken my guitars to a Luthier. I have this old Guild acoustic that I think is not sounding as good as it could. And, of course, I am not even sure that I trust my ears to know if it sounds great but I have been researching saddle replacements, pins, string gauge, tone traveler type devices, ect. It also could use a little adjustment to the action so I thought maybe I could take it to a Luthier for a diagnosis and prescriptive treatment so make the guitar sound as good as it can.
Is this something that most Luthiers can do? Can a Luthier listen to a guitar and get an idea of what is needed in terms of sound or even do much to improve sound.
Thanks in advance
H
Old 02-27-2024, 09:35 AM

My opinion, and it's worth every penny you're paying for it:

1) The stuff you're talking about - post-build modifications & tweaks - is more in the realm of a good technician; you don't need a builder to do those types of things. When I hear Luthier, I think builder.

2) The character of a guitar is largely fixed, once it's built. You can 'color' the tone (bone saddle & nut, for example); affecting the volume is more of a setup and technique issue (ie, heavier strings, raise the action a bit, and hit the thing harder when you play it ). But fundamental things, like the thickness of the top, the stiffness of the bracing, etc, are set in stone (well, wood, in this case) once the guitar is completed.

3) It is totally worth going to a tech for a really good setup and inspection. It will get the playability where YOU like it, and the guitar can be checked for any structural issues (lifting bridge, loose braces, etc) that may affect it.

<sarcasm ON>
This being the internet, an expert will be along in 0.2 seconds to tell me that Uncle Bob shaved the braces on his YamaHookie, enlarged the soundhole, and put a ToneTraveler vibrator on it for 84 hours, converting it to an absolute CANNON that SLAYS all the banjos at his jam.
<sarcasm OFF>
Old 02-27-2024, 09:58 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I go to a real luthier who is also a tech. Back in the '90s I started asking all the studio musicians in the area who to go to, and to a man they named this guy. So, I went to him with my twenty-year old Les Paul with trepidation. I handed it to him and asked what it needed. He said the playability wouldn't be very good until it had a refret. I took the chance, and it came back the best-playing instrument I'd experienced.

Since then I've taken probably about fourteen instruments, acoustic and electric, to him. I always ask, "What does it need?" He always shoots straight. It is an interesting thing about acoustics: their action affects their sound. If their relief is too little they'll be gritchie and buzzy. If they need a neck reset and someone has compensated by taking down the saddle, they'll be dull and lifeless. If there are high or low frets there will be buzzing.

But you need to find a GOOD luthier and be willing to pay the price to get things done right. It is the way of things.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-27-2024, 11:57 AM

You can't significantly change the tone of a completed guitar but the playability can certainly be improved a great deal on many.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:35 PM

If you asked me to do this (I'm an amateur builder who occasionally does work for friends), I'd

1. Check frets, level and recrown if needed.

2. Measure and adjust action at nut.

3. Measure and adjust relief.

4. Measure and adjust 12th fret action - if there's not enough saddle left, you're off to a professional who can reset the neck or, if appropriate, shave the bridge.

5. Check saddle for uneven spots and smooth out.

6. Check bracing and reglue if needed.

After that it would play better, and you might find it sounds better because it's nicer and easier to play.

A professional would do the same, only better!
Old 02-27-2024, 01:15 PM

The tone of a functioning instrument is really kind of baked in. A luthier will deal with structural problems and playability as well as cosmetic issues in some cases. Structural problems such as loose braces or a neck reset certainly can have an impact on tone and make an improvement but for an instrument that just needs a basic setup you typically won't notice much in it's inherent tone changing.

In short unless your instrument is way out of whack your luthier will return to you an instrument in it's best playing condition but you won't notice a change in tone. Of course if you have not changed the strings in 5 years you will hear a huge difference in tone.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:49 PM

I'll add that there are a number of luthier/techs out there that may suggest things *just to get your money*.

Maybe you have a/some guitar playing friends that know of a reputable tech, or, could go with you to help you figure out if the tech is reasonable after talking to them.

Without knowing your general location, it's hard to possibly recommend someone others here have experience with.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2024, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHC19672023 View Post
Hi all
I have never taken my guitars to a Luthier. I have this old Guild acoustic that I think is not sounding as good as it could. And, of course, I am not even sure that I trust my ears to know if it sounds great but I have been researching saddle replacements, pins, string gauge, tone traveler type devices, ect. It also could use a little adjustment to the action so I thought maybe I could take it to a Luthier for a diagnosis and prescriptive treatment so make the guitar sound as good as it can.
Is this something that most Luthiers can do? Can a Luthier listen to a guitar and get an idea of what is needed in terms of sound or even do much to improve sound.
Thanks in advance
H
Anyone can call him or herself a 'luthier.' The definition of that word is subject to debate, and there is no certification of skills by any authority as there was in the medieval guilds.

Some of the people who call themselves a luthier can do what you want. Many cannot.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:20 AM

Luthier is a very broad job description, it creates an image of a skilled craftsman with chisels and planes hand carving a musical instrument out of a lump of wood.

Unfortunatley these days, the opposite is true, very few luthiers exist as per my description, not becuase such people dont exist, but it is pretty well impossible to make a living from hand crafting these days.

So with the rise of companys like stewmac etc, people are buying parts assemblying guitars and calling themselves luthiers, some even have the audacity to self proclaim themselves as master luthiers

But i digress

Realistically you want a guitar tech, that is someone that can take an existing instrument and make it better, the only way tok ow who to use is word of mouth in the local scene, so ask around.

To your question, what can a good guitar tech do, they can watch you play, adjust the guitar to suit you, they can remove all those annoying little bugs or issues you have with it, money well spent

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 02-28-2024, 07:56 AM

Default Thanks

This is all great info. I am near Asheville, NC and there seem to be some good Luthiers and techs in the area. I found one that seems to mostly work with acoustics and also does set ups. Thanks again
Old 02-28-2024, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Anyone can call him or herself a 'luthier.' The definition of that word is subject to debate, and there is no certification of skills by any authority as there was in the medieval guilds.

Some of the people who call themselves a luthier can do what you want. Many cannot.
So true Howard. I've seen your builds and comments over the years. I have realized that I will never be a luthier with your skills and having only built 30 plus guitars, will never have the skills and creativity to be able to approach your skill. I certainly do try though.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHC19672023 View Post
This is all great info. I am near Asheville, NC and there seem to be some good Luthiers and techs in the area. I found one that seems to mostly work with acoustics and also does set ups. Thanks again
So who are you taking it to if I might ask? I have a buddy in E Tenn who is unhappy with his choices there.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
So true Howard. I've seen your builds and comments over the years. I have realized that I will never be a luthier with your skills and having only built 30 plus guitars, will never have the skills and creativity to be able to approach your skill. I certainly do try though.
Thank you. But be careful about saying "never."
Old 02-29-2024, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Thank you. But be careful about saying "never."
Thanks for the encouragement Howard but there are real artists out there like you and others that are born with it.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

There are also a few very good schools teaching lutherie and skills for repairing and setting up an instrument - you can always ask what their training is. But recommendations from other players in your area is the best bet -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair