The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-23-2024, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Default How wide can fretboard binding be?

I’m planning a bound fretboard. I was thinking about making the binding a little wider/thicker than the usual .060 to allow room to sand and scrape. I’m wondering though - Is there a point where it can be too wide such that there’s too much unsupported fret hanging over the binding.

I’m guessing there must be a reason that .060 has become standard.

Any advice?
Old 02-23-2024, 12:53 PM

I have seen guitars with thicker binding on the order of 0.100". In any case, the fretting needs to be such that the overhanging crown is flush with the surface. For one thing, that will avoid the issue of hooking the first string under the fret.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:03 PM

To argue to extremes, yes, of course it can be too wide. But at that point I think most would think it's silly looking. I'm working on one now that is .09in thick, no where near too thick.
Old 02-23-2024, 04:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

I did not know that there was a standard thickness for fingerboard binding. But if it is .060, that would be because that’s the standard thickness for nitrocellulose bindings from the supply houses, AFAIK. I bind my guitars with .070, usually, and am a bit casual with fingerboard binding dimensions, being more concerned with overall width, which I control after the bindings are on, somewhat oversize, of course.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I’m planning a bound fretboard. I was thinking about making the binding a little wider/thicker than the usual .060 to allow room to sand and scrape. I’m wondering though - Is there a point where it can be too wide such that there’s too much unsupported fret hanging over the binding.

I’m guessing there must be a reason that .060 has become standard.

Any advice?
My first time back here in a long time! Anyway, much, much more experienced luthiers have already added in their comments but I'll toss in my two cents. I started building archtops as my first 10 or so guitars. The multi-lined purfling was glued to the slotted fretboard first and then cut through to extend the fret slot. The outer binding of .060" (maybe .080", I haven't built an archtop for a while) I believe, as I was following the Benedetto book, was then glued on. The fret tangs were then nipped to extend into the purflings. I can't see nitro purfling holding the fret too strongly unless it was glued I suppose, but after 20 plus years, the frets on all my first ones are still holding strong. Wood purfling would likely hold strongly. I know it's not quite what you were asking, but food for thought.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair