The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-22-2021, 06:28 AM

Default Just Placed Order for X30

Over the past few weeks I have immensely enjoyed my submersion into carbon fiber guitars, all starting with my purchase of the McPherson Sable. I've read a lot of positive reviews about Emerald Guitars here in the Carbon Fiber Section, as well as watching tons of videos on them. I was immediately drawn to the timber of the X30. I just couldn't stand it no more and placed an order for an X30 a few moments ago after chatting with Kevin. I'm looking forward to receiving this new guitar in a few months. I think the Sable and the X30 will cover a broad swath of tonal textures for my style of playing. Now to sale a couple of wooden guitars so I'll have room in my rack for the X30 to reside.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Congrats, Kenny! That's how it starts. You might want to get your order going for an X7 to cover the travel or couch time playing.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Congrats, Kenny! That's how it starts. You might want to get your order going for an X7 to cover the travel or couch time playing.

In my mind I'm seeing a sign that is kind of like Don't Feed The Bears, but it says, Don't Encourage Me! LOL
Old 01-22-2021, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyEC View Post
In my mind I'm seeing a sign that is kind of like Don't Feed The Bears, but it says, Don't Encourage Me! LOL
Then you came to the wrong place to discourage guitar purchases...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-22-2021, 08:30 AM

Congrats! I ordered an X-20 last week. Looks like we can commiserate with each other for the next 4 months
Old 01-22-2021, 08:46 AM

Congrats Kenny. I ordered my X30 in DEC 2019 after playing one at Kramster's house a couple of months earlier. It can be a handful if you play seated with the guitar on the left thigh like I do, but what a killer tone!! The X30 is my only guitar that I can comfortably play for any length of time while sitting on my right thigh (shoulder injuries). A buddy of mine who built his own Martin D28 clone rarely plays that one anymore, favoring his veneered X30. They are that good.....
Old 01-22-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Then you came to the wrong place to discourage guitar purchases...
LOL That's for certain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Congrats! I ordered an X-20 last week. Looks like we can commiserate with each other for the next 4 months
And a long 4 months that is going to be! Congrats on your X-20

Ordering the guitar was great, but what followed this morning has been a nightmare. Emerald uses Stripe as their funds processor. When I paid for my order with my credit card it was declined, a fraud alert was placed on my card, and other bells and whistles went off. Had Kevin to invoice me via PayPal and paid for it that way. Apparently my bank (in whom my credit card is through) will not allow any transactions outside of the USA. I hope it is all straightened up now! It has taken three separate chat sessions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Congrats Kenny. I ordered my X30 in DEC 2019 after playing one at Kramster's house a couple of months earlier. It can be a handful if you play seated with the guitar on the left thigh like I do, but what a killer tone!! The X30 is my only guitar that I can comfortably play for any length of time while sitting on my right thigh (shoulder injuries). A buddy of mine who built his own Martin D28 clone rarely plays that one anymore, favoring his veneered X30. They are that good.....
I'm certainly looking forward to it and I completely understand about comfortability and injuries. I have an upper back injury that I endure the pain from every day for the past 12 years. I only play guitar sitting down, but some days can only play for a few moments at a time before I have to take a break, walk around, then come back to it.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:11 AM

I just realized that I did not (thanks Shawn) provide any details about options, etc...

I ordered Macassar ebony, of course that was a generic order and I believe Kevin will get up with me on what is actually available, but I did like the Macassar ebony. I got the hardshell case. For pickup I picked the Anthem system. It will also have a pinless bridge. I did not realize that the pinless bridge now comes standard on the X30. Kevin said it use to be a $150 extra charge. I did pay a lot extra for the faster shipping with tracking.

Last edited by KennyEC; 01-22-2021 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Syntax
Old 01-22-2021, 11:33 AM

I was unaware that the pinless bridge had now propagated to the X30 too, but that makes perfect sense. When you change strings, it is very helpful to have a spare bridge pin or a golf tee handy to hold the ball ends in place. The pin goes in at a 45° angle to the top.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:41 AM

I've been looking at the x30 as well. Please report back when you get it and have a chance to give it a workout.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 01-22-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I was unaware that the pinless bridge had now propagated to the X30 too, but that makes perfect sense. When you change strings, it is very helpful to have a spare bridge pin or a golf tee handy to hold the ball ends in place. The pin goes in at a 45° angle to the top.
I had read about that. Thanks! While not the same, it does remind me of how I have to hold the ball ends on the pins on the Bigsby of my Gretsch Country Gentleman. Had a couple other Gretsch guitars that also had the pins and I removed the pins, drilled the whole all the way through the bar and then chamfered the hole just enough for the ball ends to go in. Was certainly a lot easier than trying to hold the string on the pin on one end and winding on the other. Made for quick string changes on them.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
I've been looking at the x30 as well. Please report back when you get it and have a chance to give it a workout.
Oh for certain I will!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
emerald guitar, x30