The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-17-2021, 11:25 AM

OP here...

I didn't say I am disappointed in the brightness of the OM, just that it's different. I did get the 12 fret neck which is supposedly warmer than the 14, it will take some getting used to the difference, something to look forward to.

Size and convenience relating to accessibility were the driving factors of my choice, they're all convenient in terms temp/humidity care so that leaving it out to play is the prime benefit.

I did compare sizes before I bought and the WS is almost exactly the same size as a Dread, 0.5" shorter body length (19.5 vs 20), 0.2" smaller lower bout (15.8 vs 16.0) and same 5" body depth.

The OM is .9" less depth and .5" smaller lower bout than the WS, more the size I wanted.

Even though I have this lovely D-35 form 1971, I also don't like the body size much and don't play it much. I played the Laravee OM most of all followed by the O-18.

Heck, it's all a new adventure...it's great not having to worry about cracking, warping, or.....

Old 01-17-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
The topic starter owns a D-35 so size shouldn't be a problem. And I wonder if the Rainsong WS is even as large as a dreadnought. At least it does not feel that way to me.
It sits lower in your lap obviously.

The WS is pretty deep though. Any I am always surprised by how heavy mine is.

My WS is 5" deep at the "tailblock". My D-35 is actually thinner at 4-7/8"
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-01-2021, 03:07 PM

OP back again and I have really enjoyed the last 2 weeks getting to know my new Rainsong. Such a relief not to worry about the relative humidity, now down to 19%!

One comment, and it has nothing to do with the instrument...the first time I have ever played Elixirs, the came on the OM. Just too **** slippery. I'm no accomplished player but I am really noticing my fingers slipping off strings on tough chords. I need more "purchase" for my playing so will be trying some Martin Retros or some Pearse 80/20's. I picked up my Larivee which has Pearse 80/20's on it. They are overdue for a change but the difference is night and day.

I imagine it must be my technique, because Elixirs are popular strings, but I don't see it. Anyone else ever have problems with them?

thanks,

Rob

Last edited by Recoil Rob; 02-01-2021 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil Rob View Post
I imagine it must be my technique, because Elixirs are **** popular strings, but I don't see it. Anyone else ever have problems with them?

thanks,

Rob
Hi Rob- Retros are great! Just give them some time because at first they are a bit weird on the ear but they balance the RainSong tone very nicely for almost every style of play I've thrown at it. And that before you consider playability and longevity.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:12 AM

I actually prefer Elixirs mostly, but my Rainsongs both did really well with the Martin monels so +1 on put them on and play them in.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil Rob View Post
OP back again and I have really enjoyed the last 2 weeks getting to know my new Rainsong. Such a relief not to worry about the relative humidity, now down to 19%!

One comment, and it has nothing to do with the instrument...the first time I have ever played Elixirs, the came on the OM. Just too **** slippery. I'm no accomplished player but I am really noticing my fingers slipping off strings on tough chords. I need more "purchase" for my playing so will be trying some Martin Retros or some Pearse 80/20's. I picked up my Larivee which has Pearse 80/20's on it. They are overdue for a change but the difference is night and day.
I used Elixir PBs on my Taylor for years, and they worked well, but had the same experience as you with the ones that came on my RainSong. They just felt slippery, and were too bright. EJ16s fixed that, and sounded warmer. The best strings so far have been Santa Cruz low tension. They are pricey, but strings in general last a long time on my acoustics, so that’s okay. What’s the scale length on yours? Mine is a 12 fret too, and it’s a 24.875” neck, compared to the Taylor’s 25 1/2” one. I don’t know if the difference in tension makes the Elixirs feel more slippery, but in any case, that's sure how they felt on the RainSong.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

Last edited by seannx; 02-02-2021 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:56 PM

I have shorty. Basically
The ch-om1000ns or something like
that. It's a cf top(all one direction) hybrid back/ sides.
It looked to have come with ej17s
I put on a set of retro monel
10's and love what it did to the guitar.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:30 AM

OP here, I just did the same, Retro 11's (custom light's) very pleasant tone, not as "jangly", thanks for the suggestion.

Got a set of 10's also to try on my 1951 O-18.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber