The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-08-2021, 09:16 AM

Default Impressive Les Paul

I traded for a virtually new Les Paul Standard 60s and I am very impressed. Love that it isn’t weight relieved (which its owner did not like upon buying it) and has no added electronic gizmos. The pickups are marvelous. The neck pup isn’t muddy at all. Fit and finish are great as well. It appears Gibson got a lot right here. Anyone else have one of these new, inspired by the old, Standards?

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 01-09-2021, 10:02 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Mine newer one is a 2018 and thus of the last generation but you are making me want to check these out. Of course, I sought out mine for its weight relief into order to give myself a break from the weight of my '74 LP. At seven point eight pounds, two less than the '74, it does just that. But I have considered replacing the Burstbucker Pros and circuit board with more conventional guts.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-09-2021, 10:26 AM

Congrats! I'm a huge fan of Les Pauls. Do you know what pickups? The Gibson Website shows Burstbucker 61R / 61T but not sure if that's just the current year.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats! I'm a huge fan of Les Pauls. Do you know what pickups? The Gibson Website shows Burstbucker 61R / 61T but not sure if that's just the current year.
Those are what are in mine. They sound great. The neck is quite jazzy. I’d say the bridge is less hot than the 498/490 set I’m familiar with.

It isn’t a light guitar but it is very balanced weight wise. And I’m not up on stage or anything.

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 01-09-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich Novice View Post
Those are what are in mine. They sound great. The neck is quite jazzy. I’d say the bridge is less hot than the 498/490 set I’m familiar with.

It isn’t a light guitar but it is very balanced weight wise. And I’m not up on stage or anything.
I have the 490R/498T in one of my Les Pauls (Studio) and I like those pickups. Many don't but I do because they handle hard rock/metal well.

I have the 61's in my SGJ. The 61s were new pickups a few years ago when they showed up in the SGJ. I'm not sure if they're identical to the Burstbucker 61s or not. I love that SGJ because it can really rock. I agree with you that the 61 isn't as hot as the 498 but it can still maintain clarity with gain.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:11 AM

Congrats, they are my favorite electrics, I have two standards, and I wouldn't flinch at buying a third if the timing was right...
Old 01-11-2021, 08:32 AM

This is good timing for what has transpired in my quest for the holy grail of guitars. I got interested in a guitar I had for a couple of years around 1980-81, "The Paul." Found few on reverb, price of course was more than what I wanted to get into. Enter the Tribute. Ended up with a 2019 honeyburst that I really liked except tuning issue so changed out Grover locking. Much better.

Didn't stop there. A 2019 Traditional Tobacco shows up on the GC site for well under 2 g's. Sets in my guitar room now. No weight relieve, fancy coil tap, etc. Just a tone beast and rounded neck fits like a glove. I honestly had not had a hand on a full blown Les Paul in decades. This has really been an eye opener for a 61 year old guy to discover just how good these guitars are.

Edit: I will add that trying to juggle the Les Paul lineup quite a challenge. One thing I just realized that under Gibson's new management, 2020 revamped things quite a bit regarding the LP. The Traditional is no longer offered in name anyway. I guess it is
a LP standard 50's now. Then they have their Modern line. If you can find one from any year that suits your fancy and the price is right I'd seriously try to make it happen.

Last edited by Guildman; 01-11-2021 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:58 AM

I have gotten to spend some real playing time with mine. The 60s neck is not super thin. Very comfortable.

I was a little hesitant to part with what I traded but that quickly went away. This thing is exceptional. And it smells incredible too!

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 01-11-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I have gotten to spend some real playing time with mine. The 60s neck is not super thin. Very comfortable.

I was a little hesitant to part with what I traded but that quickly went away. This thing is exceptional. And it smells incredible too!
I'm going to try out the various necks if and when the opportunity comes. I'm sure there is another one out there that will spike my fever! I am in Nashville 2-3 times a year, dangerous territory.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Mine newer one is a 2018 and thus of the last generation but you are making me want to check these out. Of course, I sought out mine for its weight relief into order to give myself a break from the weight of my '74 LP. At seven point eight pounds, two less than the '74, it does just that. But I have considered replacing the Burstbucker Pros and circuit board with more conventional guts.

Bob
Why not just change the pots and caps to see if that's holding back the Burstbuckers. Something like this should be make it easy...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 01-11-2021, 06:34 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Why not just change the pots and caps to see if that's holding back the Burstbuckers. Something like this should be make it easy...
Well, the BB Pros utilize an Alnico V magnet rather than the Alnico II magnet utilized by the rest. The result is "an enhanced PAF tone that’s a bit brighter with more ‘bite.'" It's sort of a more musical, fuller version of the DiMarzio Lukather pickup. Honestly, the neck is fantastic but I really have to pull back on the bridge pickup's tone to bring it into line with the rest of my humbuckers.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-11-2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Well, the BB Pros utilize an Alnico V magnet rather than the Alnico II magnet utilized by the rest. The result is "an enhanced PAF tone that’s a bit brighter with more ‘bite.'" It's sort of a more musical, fuller version of the DiMarzio Lukather pickup. Honestly, the neck is fantastic but I really have to pull back on the bridge pickup's tone to bring it into line with the rest of my humbuckers.

Bob
Than just swap the magnets, it's not that hard of a job...

Old 01-18-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I traded for a virtually new Les Paul Standard 60s and I am very impressed. Love that it isn’t weight relieved (which its owner did not like upon buying it) and has no added electronic gizmos. The pickups are marvelous. The neck pup isn’t muddy at all. Fit and finish are great as well. It appears Gibson got a lot right here. Anyone else have one of these new, inspired by the old, Standards?
In my previous comments I didn't get around to asking if this Standard is a 2020/21? I didn't know a newer standard came without the push/pull and non-weight relief. Sounds like a similar 50's would be basically the Traditional. I got around to weighing my Trad.....9.8 lbs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars