The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-09-2020, 10:39 PM

Default X30 vs X20?

Hi all - I already have an Emerald X7 and X30 and really like them both. I do find the X30 a bit larger than I might like, and wonder about how an X20 might fit me better. For those of you who have both, how do you compare the X30 and X20? I love the big bass out of the X30 and wonder if the X20 has a comparable sound? BTW, I play in DADGAD and primarily pick and strum if that helps in any way.

Thanks for any comments you might have....

Cheers,
Dave
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran
Old 12-10-2020, 08:42 AM

Dave, I too find the X30 to be a bit large, while the X20 fits me perfectly. Tonally the X30 is a like a bold rosewood dreadnought or jumbo, while the X20 is more like a balanced GA or 000 sized guitar. Nice tone but not as powerful or as bassy. Our X7's (V2) belong to my wife and they live in her preferred Open G tuning, BTW.

I play every guitar in E-e standard with lights or mediums, D-d standard with mediums, and several other tunings. The lowest is CFCFAC or Open F. My standard scale X20 handles all of that well. My playing is 75% bare nails fingerpicking and 25% moderate strumming. I always play seated with a strap. Varying from that formula would surely change my perception of relative size. The X30 is the only guitar that I own that can be comfortably played "cowboy style" with it sitting on my right thigh without a strap (bad right shoulder). Otherwise everything is played sitting on my left thigh. Hope this helps.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:53 AM

I can't comment on the X7 or X30, but do have and like my X20.

In terms of physical dimensions, it's basically a deep-bodied OM with some extra bevels. So if you have played an OM or deep-bodied OM, that will give some ideas about the physical size. It's my most comfortable guitar by far.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
I can't comment on the X7 or X30, but do have and like my X20.

In terms of physical dimensions, it's basically a deep-bodied OM with some extra bevels. So if you have played an OM or deep-bodied OM, that will give some ideas about the physical size. It's my most comfortable guitar by far.
Same here. My X20 is very comfortable to play, and has plenty of bass. I wouldn’t want anything bigger.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 12-10-2020, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

I owned an x20 & x30 at the same time. While I really loved the BIG sound coming out of the 30 in the end I feel the 20 is dang near perfect in most ways.

The size is really nice and it has a big enough sound for the player and is more even in tone to my ear. Some people will I'm sure prefer the bigger sound out of the 30 and use it to it's advantage. To just sit around and play & sing I preferred the more even sound of the 20.

If you already know that Emerald type tone I can't imagine you not liking the 20 as well. Yes you will lose some Bass response and maybe a little overall volume but the 20 is such a sweet sounding guitar. At least I think it is!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 12-10-2020, 09:28 PM

I have both and I'll say about the same thing. The X30 is terrific for practicing and performing, but it's bulky enough that I kept reaching for a smaller/lighter guitar around the house.

I expect I'll always go for the big show-horse if I'm playing out somewhere but stick to the X20 the rest of the time.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:13 AM

I have an X20. I have played the X30, X7 and X20 Synergy (for comparison). The X7 feels small to me, but has a big sound. I'd definitely take it over a GS mini or even a Cargo though.

The X20 is my first carbon fiber experience (late 2013), and I have yet to find a guitar that's more suited to me (from mid range and/or boutique woods on down) except possibly the X30. If I had to describe the experience, the X30 is like an X20 on steroids. It's an awesome guitar. The only thing that comes close to the output that I have played in the acoustic lineup is the X20 Synergy, but that comes with a whole bunch more strings and a larger footprint.

That said, I couldn't justify getting an X30 when I already have an X20. The X20 is probably more comfortable for me to play. The X20, while lacking the X30 bass, still has a lot more bass than the X7. It works for me. I spend most of my guitar time backing up my poor singing with lousy guitar playing, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

I am in no way an expert on the guitar. The guitar is somewhat of a late addition (last 20+ years), side gig for me though I now have three carbon fiber ones (added a Lucky 13 and most recently a Kestrel). I am doing some trumpet/piano work over the holidays (pseudo primary side gig) and have been working on strengthening the somewhat too flabby embouchure for the next few weeks.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 12-20-2020, 01:52 PM

Having never played an X20, I'll just say that if it's anywhere close to the incredible tone of the X30, I'm not sure I should play one until I move out a couple of electrics that don't get enough playing time.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-20-2020, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Frankly, I can't think of how I could improve on the general, all-around usable tone of my Emerald X20 Transparent Green. It has plenty of well-balanced bass-/mid-/treble-range response with good volume. An excellent singer-songwriter/solo-performance ax with nice playability and comfort! Then again, maybe I should get an Emerald X30 for knock 'em back power? Somebody twist my arm ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-23-2020, 04:57 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Frankly, I can't think of how I could improve on the general, all-around usable tone of my Emerald X20 Transparent Green. It has plenty of well-balanced bass-/mid-/treble-range response with good volume. An excellent singer-songwriter/solo-performance ax with nice playability and comfort! Then again, maybe I should get an Emerald X30 for knock 'em back power? Somebody twist my arm ...
Whatever you do, don't buy an X30!!

It might make you re-think wooden guitars. :-)
Giffin Vikta
‘91 Les Paul Standard
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-27-2020, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Having never played an X20, I'll just say that if it's anywhere close to the incredible tone of the X30, I'm not sure I should play one until I move out a couple of electrics that don't get enough playing time.
I can see myself wanting both; the X20 for around the house as a grab-anytime guitar, and the X30 for playing out. Have to sell my Sable before I get either one, then a RainSong and a opulent of electrics before getting the other.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-30-2020, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I can see myself wanting both; the X20 for around the house as a grab-anytime guitar, and the X30 for playing out.
The X20 works well for playing out. I can see the X30 being better for that, but I have used my X20 quite a lot in different venues. I'd still like an X30 because I think it is all that and more, but the X20 is good enough given my budget and my ability.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 12-30-2020, 07:29 AM

While this may not be an issue at all, I'll put it out there.

While I think the veneered Emeralds are some of the best looking guitar I've ever seen, the opinion I hold about the X30 is based on my black carbon example.

Hopefully, those considering an X30 (or any Emerald) will be able to experience the lower cost option, knowing that all the goods will reside in the non-veneered models, if cost is a factor.
Giffin Vikta
‘91 Les Paul Standard
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-30-2020, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
...While I think the veneered Emeralds are some of the best looking guitar I've ever seen, the opinion I hold about the X30 is based on my black carbon example.

Hopefully, those considering an X30 (or any Emerald) will be able to experience the lower cost option, knowing that all the goods will reside in the non-veneered models, if cost is a factor.
I agree and would emphasize that even Emerald's least expensive offerings are terrific looking, sounding and playing guitars. I opted for a Black Limba veneer on my X30 because it was a 70th birthday gift to myself and I wanted something a littler "specialer.". Although I've swallowed the extra cost and opted for Emerald's satin finish, "stealthy" black is fine with me....

FAST FORWARD TO 2:12
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 01-11-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I agree and would emphasize that even Emerald's least expensive offerings are terrific looking, sounding and playing guitars. I opted for a Black Limba veneer on my X30 because it was a 70th birthday gift to myself. Although I've swallowed the extra cost and opted for Emerald's satin finish, "stealthy" black is fine with me....

FAST FORWARD TO 2:12
That's the best sounding 12 string I've ever heard.
Giffin Vikta
‘91 Les Paul Standard
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber