The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2019, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

I have one and it works well as a sitting stool, which in my mind must be at a height in the vicinity of 30;” (many of the other stools are 24” - too low) And it does work well as a guitar stand.

HOWEVER . . . . .

The base of the stand portion can often flop down from its folded up position when not being used as a stand. This can be a serious trip hazard in low light, don’t ask me how I know. I resolved that problem with a well placed bungee cord around the legs close to the hinge of the stand base. This allows the weight of the guitar to hold it in position when in use, but forces the base to fold up when it is not being used.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:59 AM

I like the idea of it, but I top 200 lbs without a guitar, so there ya go.

I too am looking for a 30/31" stool. I don't like being below that and the K&M one is 300 American dollars.

I'll end up with a Mopar one probably...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-07-2019, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

300lbs..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Old 02-07-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Won't that choke you when you try to sing?
I'm still laughing!
Old 02-07-2019, 11:10 AM

Default Guitar Stools w/ inbuilt guitar stand

This has worked very well for me for a few years now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018TIAA4...549559350&sr=3

And you can buy this add-on that attaches to the back of the backrest to hang a guitar. I bought it, but haven't used it as I prefer my Hercules guitar stand.

https://www.amazon.com/Stage-GS7710-...+DT8500+hanger

IMG_1549559762.633608.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1549559762.637621.jpg (53.9 KB, 95 views)

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page

Last edited by Stratcat77; 02-07-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:21 AM

That Ultimate looks like a good stand. I have a Hercules and Fender that are similar. I got the Fender for something like $15 on Stupid Deal of the Day.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
I carry my mic stand and guitar stand together in a bag that can be thrown over the shoulder but if you got a long, slim duffel bag you could have the stool in there too. Go ahead and get a dedicated Ultimate Support GS100 and one of this type of folding bar stool to go next to it.
Exactly my setup. The problem with stool/stand combo is that sometimes i want to be seated without a guitar on my lap, during breaks speaking to audience members, adjusting my amp/PA, etc.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I have one and it works well as a sitting stool, which in my mind must be at a height in the vicinity of 30;” (many of the other stools are 24” - too low) And it does work well as a guitar stand.

HOWEVER . . . . .

The base of the stand portion can often flop down from its folded up position when not being used as a stand. This can be a serious trip hazard in low light, don’t ask me how I know. I resolved that problem with a well placed bungee cord around the legs close to the hinge of the stand base. This allows the weight of the guitar to hold it in position when in use, but forces the base to fold up when it is not being used.
Well noted Nymuso, thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
Not brought into Australia by Gator's importer, and most US Amazon suppliers won't ship to Australia either. Very frustrating. While that seat looks very comfortable, it's a bit bulky for my liking. Thanks for contributing though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
This has worked very well for me for a few years now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018TIAA4...549559350&sr=3

And you can buy this add-on that attaches to the back of the backrest to hang a guitar. I bought it, but haven't used it as I prefer my Hercules guitar stand.

https://www.amazon.com/Stage-GS7710-...+DT8500+hanger

Attachment 18703
Definitely a good looking set up, but as mentioned above, not available here in Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Exactly my setup. The problem with stool/stand combo is that sometimes i want to be seated without a guitar on my lap, during breaks speaking to audience members, adjusting my amp/PA, etc.
Good points, I'm thinking that I will go the same route as suggested Nama Ensou, but I've just spent the last couple of hours searching for something like this both locally, through eBay and Amazon Australia, and do you think I can find something??!!
I found one through Ikea, but since we don't have one here in Tasmania yet, they won't ship it from the mainland!!

The search continues
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 02-08-2019, 01:49 PM

A slight update for you all.
Thanks again for everyone's suggestions, once again AGF points me in the right direction!
As mentioned in the last post, a simple foldable bar stool has been near impossible to find locally for me, however just by changing one word on my search lead me to Artist Guitars, and to this "Musicians Stool"

https://www.artistguitars.com.au/buy...wE#reviews-tab

It looks to be a Chinese knockoff of the Gator stool mentioned earlier, just without the back rest which is what I prefer. It's not as compact as I would have liked, but it looks to have decent padding. I should receive it next week and I'll provide a review for you all then!

Thanks again for everyone's assistance.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:54 PM

Y’all do whatever you want. My guitar is going to have a dedicated Hercules stand that I know is going to hold it safely unless a drunk falls into it.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 02-08-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
Y’all do whatever you want. My guitar is going to have a dedicated Hercules stand that I know is going to hold it safely unless a drunk falls into it.
Yep, I'll be ordering the Ultimate GS1000 as my guitar stand. Some of the other comments persuaded me away from the combo option.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
When I'm already standing at ground level, trying to gain the attention of passerby's, sitting even lower is probably not going to help much, but thanks for the suggestion. Besides, I tend to slouch when sitting on a seat, whereas a stool tends to make me sit a little straighter, especially one that doesn't have a back rest.
I did wonder about the strength of the stool I posted, but I'm not hard on my gear, so even low quality gear gets a good run out of me.

More than likely, at 5'6", I'm shorter than most people I know!!
There is something to be said for being able to put your feet on the floor, though.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
There is something to be said for being able to put your feet on the floor, though.

Haha, that's a great point!! And one I'll have to keep in mind as i need a portal for my harmony pedal! Luckily the seat I've ordered is adjustable in height! I haven't used the pedal live yet, sho I'll have to check it out!
Old 02-08-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Thanks Johnny, that certainly helps. I'm trying to make my setup as compact as possible so I can strap everything to my trolley and make one trip. Does the bottom hooks to support the guitar collapse in as well? Can I trouble you for a photo of the stool fully collapsed?
No worries. It's made by On Stage. I've not had any issues with it.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
No worries. It's made by On Stage. I've not had any issues with it.

Thanks for that Johnny, most appreciated!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion