The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 02:17 AM

Default "Creeping dread"

I have just bought a Dreadnought Junior which I like immediately and its a a relief to experience again the feeling of money well spent, and a guitar I find hard to put down.
So I was wondering how many of you have done the same as me over the years? I would try a guitar self consciously in a busy store (or buy blind by mail order), and put any slight awkwardness down to the guitar being new to me and feeling that all I needed was time to adjust my playing to bond with it. Excitedly I would look forward to playing it, only to put it down again after a short time. Over the next few weeks/months I would pick it up less and less and a gradual feeling of "creeping dread" that this instrument was not for me, and would have to be moved on.
What makes it worse, having a weakness for GAS,it has happened a lot! Being left handed its harder because guitar stores often only have one or two left hand guitars on the wall to compare but that is really no excuse. In theory it happens less now because I know the body sizes,nut widths ,neck dimensions etc that I like,but I might still fall for an impulse buy. I do envy those of you that can pick any guitar up and connect with it.
So, anyone else had the "Creeping Dread"? and more than once?
Old 01-21-2019, 02:39 AM
Charter Member

Many times. Finding the right guitar, or guitars is a process.

What helped me, was selling everything off at one point and going to one guitar. I played it continuously, got to know it, and while I loved the tone it ended up not being right for me. However, the one guitar experiment, helped me narrow down what I liked in a guitar, what I loved in a guitar, and what I had to have in a guitar.

Now, I have a couple that cover my bases, and I have a certain set of criteria that must exist for me. I stopped trying to “adjust” or convince myself that I could make a certain guitar work for me just because I spent hard earned money on it.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:03 AM

After years of owning all the usual suspects which, for the sake of brevity, I won't list, I went through a period of involuntary poverty which led me to sell pretty much everything to keep a roof over my head and food on the table. Upon recovery I chanced upon the Yamaha L-series which seemed like the sound and feel which had been eluding me for decades, so Yamaha is where I landed and where I'm staying. Thank you Mr.Yamaha for your lovely guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion