The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2019, 08:45 PM

Default Lookin for feedback for Martin Djr

So I’m in the market for a second guitar. I have a narrow body Alvarez cutaway that’s about 20 years old. Nothing special but I appreciate it for what it’s been thru with me over the years. Anyway I was looking to get a 2nd guitar I could use for travel as well as just a new primary nicer instrument... and that I could also use as a potential catylis to a 3rd guitar that’s going to be my pride and joy. I’ve played on martins and simply love the sound. The reviews on the djr are great but I’ve never played one and there literally is no guitar shop around that has one in my area to get some hands on action before I purchase. So that’s it... I’m looking for some solid feedback if anyone out there has any.

Btw.. first post on the forum. 🍻

Zammer
Old 01-19-2019, 09:30 PM

Well, first of all, welcome to AGF !

Although I do not own a Martin D Junior ...yet ... I’ve played half a dozen of them and plan to have one someday.
I’ll bet there will be plenty of information and encouragement coming shortly,
as these guitars seem to get plenty of praise around here.

Again, welcome aboard.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

I bought mine without playing one first, very happy w/ my purchase. I bought mine from Sweetwater. They have pictures and weights of the actual guitars.

I chose mine based on my preferences, it came set up perfectly. An excellent experience, great guitar.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:43 PM

Welcome to the forum Zammer

I've played Yamaha, Breedlove, Seagull, Alvarez, Taylor, Ibanez and pretty much everything available in the price range and have found some great bang-for-the-buck guitars. However, nothing has touched the D Jr. in tone for my ears. I have the all sapele version and love it. At this price point it will be hard to beat all solid body woods, 1 3/4 nut, 1/4" bracing (normally only found on high end Martins), and nice Martin enclosed Ping tuners. My other guitars this last few years have had composite fretboards so the richlite does not bother me. Yes, there are purists that will disagree but I actually quite like it.

Play as many as you can as they do sound different. I bought mine at Maury's Music and you can look at actual photos of the guitars they sell. The price point gives you a stack of leftover cash to buy a bone saddle, a stack of strings to begin the quest for the best pairing and even pick you own pickup if you don't like the Fishman (which I don't). So I saved a $100 and got the acoustic version- I put a JJB 330 in mine and it sounds great.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

I got mine from Maury a couple of years ago. It came with a hard case which is nice.

I leave mine at work. Its ok, it's a nice guitar, but I find the frets closer together than I'm used to. For traveling, or going to the beach or kicking around, it's great. It's inexpensive and you don't have to worry about it if something happens. The sound quality is good. Plenty of volume.

It's nice that it's all solid. Satin finish all around.

The fretboard is fine. If you didn't know better, you'd think it was ebony. Looks great. Hey, it says Martin on it!
Old 01-19-2019, 11:28 PM

Welcome to AGF!

The Dread Jr 2 (top Sapele) is a fantastic guitar. Go for it! Only downside is the gig bag which is too thin and doesn’t really protect the guitar.

Good value for money too.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 01-19-2019, 11:52 PM

Welcome to the forum!

I have a Dreadnought Jr with the Spruce top, I think it's a great choice, has a nice sound and is really comfortable to play. Neck feels really great to play too!
Old 01-20-2019, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

I've got my Dread Jr with spruce top last year. It could easily be my only guitar. I tried all that travel guitars and most of them felt too small and sounded that way. The Djr doesn't feel too small at all. It feels like a Martin 00 that sits a little higher in my lap. It easily fits on the plane and, in it's gig bag it's light as a feather.

I got mine from Musician's Friend. List price was $499. I got 15% off; 425. Used $40 of MF points and got $37 in points back, so it cost about $385. I put in a bone saddle when I did the set-up

I take it out to play all the time. It sounds great, feels good to play, and it's so light to carry,
Old 01-20-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Might as well wait a couple weeks and see what the version 2.0 feels like in comparison. They primarily have changed the body depth and some other details to make it more comfortable. Seems like good upgrades.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Might as well wait a couple weeks and see what the version 2.0 feels like in comparison. They primarily have changed the body depth and some other details to make it more comfortable. Seems like good upgrades.

Are they coming out with a revised version? I hadn’t heard that...
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 01-20-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

"Martin has announced updates to its Dreadnought Junior Series and Road Series, as well as a trio of models—the StreetMaster, Black Smoke and Whiskey Sunset—now available with a slope-shoulder design.

The Dreadnought Junior Series is designed for players looking for big Dreadnought sound in a slightly smaller body. The newly updated Junior is available with a Sapele or Sitka spruce top and Sapele back and sides, with a cherry finish and a hand-rubbed neck. Shown above is the Martin DJR-10E Sapele.

The updated Junior models sport a thinner, 000 body depth with softer back edges to provide maximum comfort while playing."

I don't know if that's a bonus, thinner body. Nevertheless that's the update.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

The biggest ''upgrade'' seems to be the narrower body. It's going from 4 3/8 to 4 1/8. I don't think it will make a huge difference in tone. I guess with the beveled rear edge, it will make it more comfortable for smaller players.

I don't see the cherry stain on the back and sides as much of an upgrade. I'd rather see a ''all gloss'' version. But then again, a gloss version would probably cost $800 to $1000. For a travel guitar that I don't have to worry about, I'd choose the one I have.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:59 AM

I absolutely love mine! Its the one I play the most. Sounds fantastic. If it was lost or stolen I would definitely buy another one.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaylor58 View Post
Are they coming out with a revised version? I hadn’t heard that...
I don't know. But with the big NAMM show happening this coming week, if anything is going to change we'll know soon.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:24 AM

Wow! Thanks for all the welcoming and informative responses so far all! I’m for sure going to move forward... most likely the Djr 2 as I’m used to playing on a narrow body already. Reading all these post is bringing up some questions on customizing for sure but I think more than anything, best place to buy online would be my next step???

Never purchased online before other than a 200 dollar Ibanez parlor from gearnutz that I returned because the bridge was splitting and it was obvious the guitar was sitting for a while.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion