The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-12-2019, 10:46 AM

Default GS MINI......strings!!

I have had a GS mini spruce and walnut for about 10 months and have been having fun changing strings and chasing tone. Here is what I have done and found. It is all personal preference but this might give other people some ideas.

*Stock Elixir strings were ok but wanted to go warmer.

*DR Rares med. 13-56 warmed it up and had nice presence

* Martin MSP7200 Life span phosphor bronze med. 13-56, a little warmer but still nicely balanced. Lasted a long time, 6 months.

*LaBella silk and steel medium 710M 12-56. These were warm but lacked any presence, they were subdued in the wound strings with less pop. Would be better on a large bodied instrument I think.

*John Pearse Set #700M med. 13-56 phosphor bronze, yea baby. Nice sweet tone with really good volume, presence and shimmer. Only been on a few days but I am really liking these on this guitar the best. Not surprising as my Larrivee L 01 sounds best with JP bluegrass.

What have you tried and what do you like best
Old 01-12-2019, 10:58 AM

John Pearse PB lights on my Spruce GS
-Takamine EAN40c-12
Old 01-12-2019, 11:02 AM

I’m putting a st of Santa Cruz mid-tension parabolic on my Mini KOA next week; I’ll try to remember to report back here.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:01 AM

I've had the Santa Cruz Mid-Tension Parabolic strings on my GS- Mini KOA for about a week now, and so far they are the best strings I've had on her! Nice, warm, and focused. I highly recommend you give them a try.
2019 Collings Baby 2he
Prior: Too many to list
Old 01-21-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
I've had the Santa Cruz Mid-Tension Parabolic strings on my GS- Mini KOA for about a week now, and so far they are the best strings I've had on her! Nice, warm, and focused. I highly recommend you give them a try.
Thank you for reporting back and letting us know the results. I have never used Santa Cruz strings but they get a lot of love around here, that's for sure. I will keep them in mind for the future. Still really enjoying the John Pearse medium PB on my spruce top. Espeically with Ultex or Primetone picks in .88 or 1.0, warms it up and adds some power........... for a little guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion