The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-08-2018, 02:52 AM

Default The Avalon Alumni Thread

Calling all owners and users, past and present!

Hello to all! Since starting on my journey on Irish guitars, I've noticed that there aren't that many Avalon owners around, I think it'll be nice and useful to try to start a thread purely for Avalon owners and past owners (therefore the "Alumni") to discuss and talk about our Avalons, to just share pictures or share concerns. How about it?

Anyone who has owned an Avalon for at least 24 hours, will qualify as an Avalon Alumni! (And well, even if you have tried a friend's Avalon, or tried a piece at a store, there's nothing stopping you from contributing too!)

So let's start.. feel free to contribute as you wish.. I for one have lots of questions for other Avalon users!!
Old 10-08-2018, 02:53 AM

-----------------------------------------------------
Owners and Alumni:

- Silverspear: Redwood/EIR Jumbo
Old 10-08-2018, 02:58 AM

My Axe
Old 10-08-2018, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

My A2-20 Cutaway.

Few interesting things I have found out recently that may help some of you. However please remember that although my guitar is not a custom this is the findings for my guitar and your's may be different.:

-Not all bridges are Ebony. Mine is Rosewood.
-Straight bracing
-Most leave the factory with shim under the saddle.
-Yes you CAN get Baggs Anthem pickup for Avalon guitars. LR Baggs makes split saddle Anthem for guitars such as Lowden, Takamine, and Avalon.
-Truss Rod size: I was told 4mm from Avalon. However only 5mm worked on my guitar and 4mm did not. I actually did not like the screw driver handled tool. I preferred regular hex wrench with ball end my self.
-The top looks really thick from the sound hole. This is because it's double topped just around the sound hole.
-Finger Board Radius is 16"

Last edited by SKYHIGH; 10-08-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

* I was a member of the Avalon Forum (riverdog) before joining here years ago. I really enjoyed writing and recording with my Avalon S201 which is a concert/00 size and like my two Lowdens, hails from Ireland...love the Irish makes!

** This lovely lass is a joy to play and has inspired several f/s pieces. The tone is very focused & clear with tons of sustain and beautiful overtones emanating from its cedar over rosewood body. I traveled and recorded with it all over the Caribbean and I even recorded my 2002 theme song on it shortly before joining the AGF! https://youtu.be/YoqY7PX32G8

*** I gave it to my son who is also a musician and performs with me occasionally. He plays mostly f/s (Ed Sheeran kinda style) and fell in love with it, but I play it occasionally when I go to his house, such a beautiful guitar and my fav neck and fret profile. I just put new tortoise buttons on the tuners...so glad it's still in the family.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100+.jpg (147.5 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg 101+.jpg (41.6 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg 103+.jpg (32.0 KB, 379 views)
Old 10-08-2018, 02:35 PM

Here’s my A200 - fantastic guitar!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 10-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Here's my L2-20C. I received it at the end of July. It hasn't seen standard tuning since, lol

Great guitar. Attachment 13819Attachment 13820

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

Last edited by TBman; 07-07-2022 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:21 PM

Three times now I have almost bought an Avalon — two of them from members of this forum. I feel like one is in my future, somehow. Extremely appealing instruments, particularly for fingerstyle.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MacNeill View Post
Three times now I have almost bought an Avalon — two of them from members of this forum. I feel like one is in my future, somehow. Extremely appealing instruments, particularly for fingerstyle.
It excels at Fingerstyle. However I am mainly a strummer and my Avalon is one of the finest strummer I have owned.. and I have owned several nice guitars in the past. Love the strong fundamentals on my Avalon.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
It excels at Fingerstyle. However I am mainly a strummer and my Avalon is one of the finest strummer I have owned.. and I have owned several nice guitars in the past. Love the strong fundamentals on my Avalon.
That’s good to hear. I’m about 50/50 fingers/plectrum myself. Someday I’ll scratch my Avalon itch.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:46 PM

So any of you lovely Avalon players who decide to upgrade to a pricey Lowden, tell me about your Avalon. I like cutaways and 1.75 nuts but the rest is negotiable.

By the way, my profile photo is me in Scotland, before a gig, writing a song, playing a borrowed Lowden.

Cheers!
Old 10-09-2018, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MacNeill View Post
So any of you lovely Avalon players who decide to upgrade to a pricey Lowden, tell me about your Avalon. I like cutaways and 1.75 nuts but the rest is negotiable.

By the way, my profile photo is me in Scotland, before a gig, writing a song, playing a borrowed Lowden.

Cheers!
I’m not sure if Lowden would be considered an “upgrade”. Yes they cost more but I think it’s because there more known now.

Couple Demos comparing Lowden and Avalon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=

Last edited by SKYHIGH; 10-09-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
I’m not sure if Lowden would be considered an “upgrade”. Yes they cost more but I think it’s because there more known now.

Couple Demos comparing Lowden and Avalon.

skyhigh, your links are dead.. please update them! (:
Old 10-09-2018, 05:46 PM

Here are the two Avalons which have passed through my hands: on the right, an L32C, which is still my fingerstyle guitar of choice and lives in C or D tunings, and on the left, a D300A, sadly no longer with me as when I wanted to buy a maple 12, it had to be the one to go as I generally play smaller guitars these days.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:20 AM
Charter Member

As long ago as the fifteenth century, there was a saying that, "Odyous of olde been comparisonis, And of comparisonis engendyrd is haterede" - in modern English, "Comparisons are odious".

To my eyes and ears, that video served to demonstrate how alike Lowden and Avalon guitars are, in both sound and appearance. I know several Avalon-owners and their instruments are very nice indeed. I've owned two Lowdens, I'd be very happy to own an Avalon - although the chances of that may be reducing, as Avalon Custom Lutherie Ltd. are currently subject to Insolvency Proceedings in N. Ireland.

https://m.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3118991

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion