The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-06-2019, 04:30 PM

Default Taylor Custom Shop Wood Grades?

Can someone enlighten me as to the levels of wood grades (top and body) that Taylor uses? From what I can glean from reading here and from other sources, they use an A / AA/ Who-Knows-What's-Next format. Can anyone enlighten me as to the levels of wood grades from top to bottom? Thank you!
Old 02-06-2019, 06:40 PM

I think its A,AA, Master grade.

Take a look at the BTO sheets.

They also seem to grade their tops with either sitka, or premium sitka (or Adirondack)

https://tobiasmusic.com/taylor-custom-guitars-bto/

This reminds me, can anyone enlighten me on what "inkjet sitka" is? ive seen that option many times and have no idea what it is

Last edited by ChalkLitIScream; 02-06-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:17 PM

Not sure if this is the Sitka they are speaking of but this is from Alaska Specialty Woods as a definition of a blue float log.

Description
High grade blue floatlog guitar front

These tops are produced with the finest tonewood fiber in the world. Procured from salvage sourced old-growth Sitka Spruce.

After decades floating a house in a remote floating logging camp, The house was moved to land and the log float salvaged. These boards cut from a floatlog in the vicinity of a 12″ long spike, that permeated the surrounding fiber with iron. The result is this oxidized blue board. Out of thousands of tops cut from these logs, only a few have the stain for the full length and width of both boards. They are blue throughout the board. The sugars of the wood has become crystalline and extra mineral added…. Could it sound better with this extra metallic element added to the fiber? I`m not a Luthier.

Last edited by ross748; 02-08-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:23 PM

'Inkjet sitka' Hmm. Sitka that's so white that they have to print the darker grain lines on with a printer ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop