The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-10-2017, 01:32 AM

For the money, I think it's a wonderful, wonderful guitar the 2012+ D-18. I have the smaller brother the 000-18 and that is a joy to play.

But if I had the money, I think the Outlaw-17 would be my choice.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:54 AM

You don't have to convince me.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

I had always been a rosewood guy, until one day a 2003 D-18VS showed up here in the AGF Classifieds. Something about it attracted me; maybe it was the 12-fret slot head. The owner was a good guy who offered it to me at a great price so I bought it, and have been amazed by the thing ever since the day it arrived.

I can't believe the way that guitar rings out. loud and clear. And the Mod V neck is perfect for me. It is now on the "never sell" list along with my Guild.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:18 AM

Yes, it was in fact a brand new D-18, so it would have the scalloped forward shifted bracing.

I had read that the necks on the D-18s were easier to get around on as opposed to a D-28s neck but I have big hands and usually seek out bigger, beefier necks because they just feel better to me but going back and forth between the two guitars, I was so taken by the sound that I payed no mind to the neck. Both felt equally good oddly enough.

Like said in my original post, I'm not even a brand loyalist, it just happened that the D-18 really connected with me on that visit to the store. I tried out a gorgeous Larrivee D-05 too, boy that was a beauty! More blingy than the Martins and sounded great too but here in Canada it was priced right around the same as the D-18, I would have been more interested if the Larrivee was priced a bit better but I guess that's due to the extra mother-of-pearl and abalone doodads, outstanding guitars though IMHO.

BTW, I just spotted a used 2012 D-18 going at about half the price of a new one out the door so that has caught my eye but it is a nine hour round trip to get there. The guy installed an LR Baggs Lyric pickup system in it, total waste of time for me as I don't plan on playing out but I don't suppose this would negatively impact the guitar itself.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:35 AM

Used 2012 D-18 would be a great way to go!...

Pickup wouldn't bother me and you can always remove.

If you don't jump on that one.... Do check out the Larrivee D-40 which you could buy new for around $1200 USD. The -40 Series is amazing and Larrivee quality cannot be beat at the price point,.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:44 AM

I've owned Martins with Brazilian, EIR, Tasmanian Blackwood, Amazon and Madagascar.......and my favorite models have been Mahogany.

Whether standard, GE or Authentic, Martin knows how to do Mahogany. The new D-18s have joined the great Mahogany models list.........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 03-10-2017, 05:52 AM

Is it just the back and sides on the Larrivee D-40 that are satin? Or is the top satin as well?

One thing I do like is an all gloss body or at the very least the top has to be gloss. I just prefer the look and feel of a gloss finish, I know that it won't really affect the tone.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burstbucker View Post
Is it just the back and sides on the Larrivee D-40 that are satin? Or is the top satin as well?

One thing I do like is an all gloss body or at the very least the top has to be gloss. I just prefer the look and feel of a gloss finish, I know that it won't really affect the tone.
The whole guitar is satin .. I totally agree that I prefer a non satin body. I ended up polishing the back and sides on my L OM40. The top was so sweet .. I didn't dare touch it.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:25 AM

I have said it before and I will say it again:

The current production D18 is the best value in a new Martin guitar, period!

My 2015 Ambertone is a spectacular guitar.

As a geezer, my arthritis has gotten the better of me and recent thoughts of thinning the heard made me think of selling my last Dread. However, if I play for short periods (around 20 minutes or so per day), the pain the next day is not too bad. That said, this particular D18 ain't going nowhere as it is doubtful I would ever find a Dread I enjoy as much as this one.

Naturally, YMMV.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:32 AM

If you like Mahogany B&S, there aren't too many guitars out there that can top the new D18. I was very close to keeping the one I got, but I am a hopeless rosewood guy.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

The 2012 and newer Martin D-18 represents the sweet-spot for dreadnought tone in the Martin line with 1930s features mated with modern!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-10-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burstbucker View Post
Yes, it was in fact a brand new D-18, so it would have the scalloped forward shifted bracing.

I had read that the necks on the D-18s were easier to get around on as opposed to a D-28s neck but I have big hands and usually seek out bigger, beefier necks because they just feel better to me but going back and forth between the two guitars, I was so taken by the sound that I payed no mind to the neck. Both felt equally good oddly enough.

Like said in my original post, I'm not even a brand loyalist, it just happened that the D-18 really connected with me on that visit to the store. I tried out a gorgeous Larrivee D-05 too, boy that was a beauty! More blingy than the Martins and sounded great too but here in Canada it was priced right around the same as the D-18, I would have been more interested if the Larrivee was priced a bit better but I guess that's due to the extra mother-of-pearl and abalone doodads, outstanding guitars though IMHO.

BTW, I just spotted a used 2012 D-18 going at about half the price of a new one out the door so that has caught my eye but it is a nine hour round trip to get there. The guy installed an LR Baggs Lyric pickup system in it, total waste of time for me as I don't plan on playing out but I don't suppose this would negatively impact the guitar itself.
The Lyric is about as easy to remove as any pickup. Just a little double sided tape and an endpin preamp. I would probably leave it in because it can sound really good in certain guitars, and has no impact on acoustic tone. Who knows, you might be inspired to play out?
Old 03-10-2017, 08:43 AM

Yeah, if I did end up with this particular used D-18 with the Lyric pickup, I would just leave it in, especially since most players seem to agree that the Lyric system doesn't change the sound of the guitar.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:31 AM

I got a 2016 Centennial Standard D-18 with Sitka top back in January. I will never need another guitar again. Don't laugh. I am serious. This is the one for me. I had played several D-18s over the past few years and they have always blown me away. I even had the chance to do side by side comparisons to several pre-war Martins and it amazed me. I have played many Taylors, Larriviees, Gibsons, Collins, Huss & Daltons, etc. But I kept coming back to the Martin D-18. And now I've got one all to myself to play whenever I want. Yeah, I'm happy.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 03-10-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The 2012 and newer Martin D-18 represents the sweet-spot for dreadnought tone in the Martin line with 1930s features mated with modern!
You sounded just like a Martin rep there!
2016 Martin DRS1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion