The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-12-2016, 05:18 PM

Default Bass amp as sub?

Been thinking of adding some kind of sub to my PA for a while, just always notice the extra fullness of tone when I'm out and about listening to others play. While reading some of the posts regarding subs, it dawned on me that I MIGHT be able to use my poor neglected bass amp (Fender bassman combo 100w) as a sub....
Current setup is guitar/TC play acoustic/mixer/powered 10" speakers.
Bass amp is @ 12 years old, has effects loop send/return on back, lowZ input on front with active/passive switch.
How can I make this work without buggering something up?
Experts sound off!

Thanks
Old 12-12-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampString View Post
Been thinking of adding some kind of sub to my PA for a while, just always notice the extra fullness of tone when I'm out and about listening to others play. While reading some of the posts regarding subs, it dawned on me that I MIGHT be able to use my poor neglected bass amp (Fender bassman combo 100w) as a sub....
Current setup is guitar/TC play acoustic/mixer/powered 10" speakers.
Bass amp is @ 12 years old, has effects loop send/return on back, lowZ input on front with active/passive switch.
How can I make this work without buggering something up?
Experts sound off!

Thanks
I'm no expert!!!!!!!!
I'm just learning about subs but from what I've gathered a "crossover" is needed. I was looking at crossover units and what little looking I did, they looked to be rack mounted.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 12-12-2016, 07:19 PM

https://www.parts-express.com/rolls-...tput--245-1184
Old 12-12-2016, 07:27 PM

Again, from a non-expert perspective, I'd always considered adding a sub TO a Bass amp! My thinking is that the Bass amp has a higher frequency response than a sub. It would certainly add warmth to the sound, but I'm not sure that you'd get the low down thud of a sub.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:14 PM

I'm much more into "ear analysis" than I am math. (Although math was a strong point and electronic eng is my background by degree.)

I tried this once in this manner. I did my own "Bose L1" clone with a sub. But, my components were:

Eight 3" full-range speakers in a column
Crown CE-1000 amp
Mackie CFX12 mixer

The Mackie has a sub-out along with the main mix L & R out. I fed the sub-out to the Crown and that to a full-range 15" (cheap Peavey with horn disconnected...not a box designed for subs, but nevertheless functioned similarly)

The L ch. Mackie was sent to the other Crown channel and fed the column of 3" speakers.

The result? Typical full-range & sub separation, but very disappointing in there were frequencies lost that I wanted back.

Next, I removed the "sub" feed from the Mackie sub-out and took it from the R ch instead. Then, per instrument or vocal track...I could pan between the two and get the best of both worlds. AMAZING improvement and the low end was awesome for guitar & vocals.

I've not used many, but I've found very very few situations where I need any type of sub. At least, not for what I do musically. I'm sure drum effects added would make me revisit it though.

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 12-13-2016, 01:28 AM

I've used a small Ampeg bass amp as a sub for a Kustom PA50, which has a subwoofer output and a built in passive crossover with nice results. It should be easy enough to experiment with your system. Ric
Old 12-13-2016, 01:10 PM

Going to have a little time Friday between Christmas shopping with the wife and ringing the bell for the Salvation Army to fiddle around with it a little bit.
That crossover thing looks interesting, wkbryan. Reading up on those in the meanwhile. Might have to gift that to myself early...
Let you know what shakes out!

Thanks all

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification