The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-19-2016, 08:57 PM

I was a Kickstarter contributor and got one of the first units shipped in December 2015. Oddly it came with no battery compartment cover so I had to rig one up from scratch, but I got a proper one shipped within a few days. Put it in a Larrivee LV09E, and have been using it regularly "acoustically" and as an effects processor ever since. It's true what's been said about "tuning" it to various guitars. You must understand that active and passive pickup systems are not going to interact with the preamp the same way. You have to adjust input gain and volume when you move to a different guitar. It's also worth noting that you can drastically alter the amp's efficiency depending on where the rubber sits on the back of the guitar. Hold your guitar by the neck and tap up and down the center of the back to find the sweet spot, that's where the rubber pad should contact the wood.

Pros: Doesn't scratch the finish, lots of features and adjustability, sounds good, very discreet to use, nice not have to use pedals, preamps, etc.

Cons: Short battery life (3 AAAs last for one 2-3 hr. gig), no tuner built in, installation can be tricky on some guitars due to bracing patterns.

This week I got a couple of spare X braces and installed one on a D'Angelico Mercer. Next up is a an Avalon A25c, just need to decide on a pickup system...

Last edited by Brian's Twin; 12-19-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian's Twin View Post
I was a Kickstarter contributor and got one of the first units shipped in December 2015. Oddly it came with no battery compartment cover so I had to rig one up from scratch, but I got a proper one shipped within a few days. Put it in a Larrivee LV09E, and have been using it regularly "acoustically" and as an effects processor ever since. It's true what's been said about "tuning" it to various guitars. You must understand that active and passive pickup systems are not going to interact with the preamp the same way. You have to adjust input gain and volume when you move to a different guitar. It's also worth noting that you can drastically alter the amp's efficiency depending on where the rubber sits on the back of the guitar. Hold your guitar by the neck and tap up and down the center of the back to find the sweet spot, that's where the rubber pad should contact the wood.

Pros: Doesn't scratch the finish, lots of features and adjustability, sounds good, very discreet to use, nice not have to use pedals, preamps, etc.

Cons: Short battery life (3 AAAs last for one 2-3 hr. gig), no tuner built in, installation can be tricky on some guitars due to bracing patterns.

This week I got a couple of spare X braces and installed one on a D'Angelico Mercer. Next up is a an Avalon A25c, just need to decide on a pickup system...
Brian's Twin....

Excellent..an early adopter. Can you elaborate a little more on finding the sweet spot?

Thx!

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2016, 10:46 AM

Has anyone tried running a looper through this yet?

Go from your pickup, to the looper, to the TWA. I am very curious as to how it would work.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:09 PM

Well I'm late to the party, gotta try this. It says it doesn't work with mic pickups... like the Anthem I presume. Anyone tried this? What if I rolled the Anthem all the way to the piezo?
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification