The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

View Poll Results: A Carbon Guitar For You In 2010? In 2010:
I will buy ANOTHER carbon guitar. 45 24.19%
I will buy my FIRST carbon guitar. 25 13.44%
I intend to get more information on and try to audition my first carbon guitar. 45 24.19%
I have NO interest in carbon guitars because guitars should be made of wood only! 71 38.17%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2010, 07:55 PM

Wink

Interesting poll. I own a composite but won't buy in future as I can only play one guitar at a time, so I can't really vote.

However, I do have a real hankering to ask Lisa Hannigan if she could knit me a guitar...

Emerald Fusion x10
Stella the 1960's Harmony (Fender Headstock)
Tanya the Tanglewood
Juanita the Strat
Gabriela the Flamenco style Gerry O'Gorman Concert (Classical)
Anon the Spanish Classical gifted by my Dad many years ago
Brian the Bodhran
A crazy cajon!
...and a drum kit. Chicken soup for the soul
Old 01-13-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
I have NO interest in carbon guitars because guitars should be made of wood only!
Do you think they had these debates on the tennis racquet forums back 1976. Jimmy Connors, what a rebel!

As for me, I owned a CA COT about 5 years ago and loved the guitar but was not a big fan of the imix so I sold it. Now i'm interested in a gx raw, but a Cole Clark Fat Lady and a Martin D16RGT are now competing for my affection.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 01-15-2010, 12:51 PM

I have CA Vintage Performer (a Legacy with vintage voicing) that I love. If it had the same action as my D35 it would be just about perfect (for me). It is stable (I virtually never have to tune between songs, unlike my band mates), it has a deep, bassy tone, which I prefer, and it sounds terrific plugged in or au naturale. If I were to buy another guitar in 2010 (unlikely) it would be a CA 12 string.

TC
Old 01-15-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerPlucked View Post
Rich, trees are made of wood. Everything else is optional.
Then guitars should be made of trees!

'95 Guild DV52
'94 Guild JV52
'93 Guild F4CE
'77 CE100D

Can you tell I like Guilds?
Old 01-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Liberty Trio

I saw my first carbon guitars yesterday. No where around here has them that I have found.

I didn't play one but I hefted several. They're bloody heavy! I thought my Guild was heavy, but it is nothing compared to the carbons I picked up. Mama mia! I thought carbon fiber was light! That's one reason why they use it in sailplanes!

They must be heavy so you can use them as protection in cowboy and biker bars.

Would I buy one? Dunno. It would depend on the situation.

'87 Guild GF-30 Bld (blonde)
'89 Seagull S-Black Velvet
'06 R. Taylor Series 1 (koa)
All 3 Taylor Liberty Tree Guitars
2 mandolins, 2 dulcimers, 1 mandola, 2 bodhrans

"It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things that make us what we are."
--Red Green, "The New Red Green Show"
Old 01-15-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Guitars are made out of wood!
My thoughts exactly

I'm an unmet friend of the honest, hardworking, knowledgeable guitar builder.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:54 PM

I would like to get a carbon fiber guitar this year.

As much as I love my two Larrivees (P-09QM and OM-10), when I get just ten to fifteen minutes to play, I don't. I don't want to go through the ritual of taking the guitar and it's humidifier out of the case before playing it and putting it back after. There wouldn't be much time left to actually play. So, I just skip it. As a solution to this, I would like to get a carbon fiber guitar that I can leave out all of the time and not worry about either humidity (or lack thereof) or the small bumps that can and will happen. For this, carbon fiber is perfect. I won't have to worry about keeping it pristine and in tune. It will most take care of that by itself. I can just grab it and play a little when I feel like it. To this end, I've been reading the post here and also lurking at carbonguitar.com, reading 30+ pages of posts there, and listening to various recordings I have found. I'm leaning towards either a CA Cargo Raw or GX Raw, depending on how much I may travel with it, which probably won't be much. I did a quick try out of them this afternoon. I was surprised at how small the Cargo is. The GX was nice also and would fit just above my OM in size. Hmmm.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:53 PM

I can't vote! My answer to the question is not there...so I will put it in this post.

NO! I have yet to meet a Carbon Fiber/ Composite guitar who's tone I liked.
2009 Lanikai LU21
Dunlop shaker egg
Alesis DM10 Pro
Old 01-16-2010, 11:42 PM

I have R Taylor on the way, so CA's are last thing on my mind right now.

Also this is my 667 post.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:13 AM

Partially as a result of this thread, I am now changing my status from abstaining to planning on finding out more.

I am signed up for a Mac Nichol's road trip, and will soon have the Emerald X5 for a few days to try out. Who knows, if I love it, I might indeed buy a carbon guitar in 2010.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:06 AM

Given my age, I am probably going to buy my retirement guitar. I'd like one that will be less influenced by weather changes. In addition to the choices you enumerated, I am also considering an Adamas 2080.

Problem is, these tend to be high end instruments and are not just sitting in any guitar shops convenient to me. Consequently, I will probably do much research and take a leap of faith.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:31 AM

no way for me...these things are absolutely hideous.

Epiphone EJ-200
Cordoba Classical
Martin D-15
Fender Tele
Old 01-19-2010, 07:41 PM

Cool Road Trip - World Tour

If anyone would like to roadtest my gig-weary Emerald, just send me an air ticket. We can travel far and we travel light, though I have to say, the old git travels better than I do.

She's been gigged, recorded commercially, photographed, used for percussion, sat on, forgotten at a poolside gig, zapped by power surges, covered in beer, sunbaked, rained on, snowballed, full of sand, bounced, used to swat flies and... is still one of the most playable and pleasant sounding guitars you will ever find.

I would take the Fusion anywhere, for lots of reasons, but mostly because she comes out of the case ready to turn heads and work. And... its amazing what you can do with a full size flight case!

I never gelled with the X5. I thought I would, the smaller body being more suitable for travel, for fitting around lady bumps and for carrying in your handbag, but, for many reasons, it's not for me. The concept of being able to fly and take the X5 into the cabin was great until the Big Brother decided that you can't have strings on it, or carry a few sets in your pocket, so guitar as cabin baggage is no longer a bonus. But hey! not everyone flies so it's great for some folk.

Note to fellow travellers... carry a stamped, self-addressed envelope with you so you can post your strings home from the airport. Its easy to forget to put them in your hold luggage before check-in and after check-in its too late and security confiscates them. It happens!

Emerald Fusion x10
Stella the 1960's Harmony (Fender Headstock)
Tanya the Tanglewood
Juanita the Strat
Gabriela the Flamenco style Gerry O'Gorman Concert (Classical)
Anon the Spanish Classical gifted by my Dad many years ago
Brian the Bodhran
A crazy cajon!
...and a drum kit. Chicken soup for the soul

Last edited by clareaustin; 01-19-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-19-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clareaustin View Post
The concept of being able to fly and take the X5 into the cabin was great until the Big Brother decided that you can't have strings on it, or carry a few sets in your pocket, so guitar as cabin baggage is no longer a bonus.
When/where did this happen? I've carried my Cargo on several flights.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 01-20-2010, 06:32 AM

2010 is bringing me a new CA Legacy Vintage Sunburst. Bought it new which I never do, own a used X great parlor guitar but wanted a dred. Went around and around for years on this one. GX GXI all the new finishes. Decided on the Sunburst legacy cause I wanted a traditional look with a sunburst similar to my J-45. Have a three day trial so hoping it has that deep base I am looking for. Go to a lot of outdoor festivals, some "historic" so I think it will work in fitting in and I would not have to make sure my wood guitar is not getting to hot or too cold etc. The GX and GXI are sill faintly calling, too many choices and not enough time.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber